Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyyankeesfan

Kitchen Wall Clock Got One??

Tom
13 years ago

What happen to the kitchen wall clock?? We all had one growing up, and I am sure folks remodeling took one down. BUT did you put one back up? Growing up it was a fixture in the kitchen just like the stove and refrigerator. It was the clock I got in trouble for not being home by said time. Has the microwave, oven, TV, or CELL PHONE taken the place of the wall clock, ??? Can you even buy a kitchen wall clock anymore???

Is it lost forever???...lol

Comments (59)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

We not only got a wall clock but have one for the living room and one for the den. The only room without one will be the dining room.... I like functions that have form.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I have one, and it is in the shape of a copper frying pan (medium size) with the face on what would be the bottom (outside) of the frying pan and you hang it up by the handle.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

A friend of mine has this frog clock (link below). It's really silly, but so endearing somehow. The frog's tongue moves back and forth with the tick tock. My friend tells me that despite the $75,000 she spent on her kitchen redo, the frog clock is what everyone exclaims over. Go figure.

I don't have a wall clock anymore, cause I use my digital oven clock to tell the time, and I don't have that much open wall space to fit a clock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frog Fly Clock

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I had one before demo. It was kind of faux-vintage with a large dark wood frame. I'm hoping it'll fit in the new kitchen. Gotta remember to work that into the new layout! I can't stand being in a room where I can't see the time.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Here's mine, it used to be my Grandmother's:

And yes, the cuckoo still works! :-)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

honeychurch...I have one of those! It's from the Black Forest in Germany, I bought it from an old couple who were bringing it into a consignment shop. They told me it worked up until they took it down to bring in. I think I can't get the weights in the right places. Mine might have 3 weights? Could that be? I cannot get it to work to save my life. I think it is so cool though.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Srg and Clergychick--Love 'em!

I saw the title of this post and was so on it! Yes, I have 3. Got them on ebay. All vintage Seth Thomas clocks. They are plug ins. One stopped working about 2 months after it was up. Ooops. My husband thinks I am a weirdo for the clocks and no, they are not set to different time zones ;)

Ikea has a huge clock that I love!

I think people have ditched the wall clocks because of all the digital time keepers on their appliances. But it is definitely a place for some decorating fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: tick tock

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I have a rather large clock (15 in. in diameter, I'm guessing) on a wall at the end of the kitchen/eating area that can be easily seen from the FR. We haven't redone our kitchen yet, but I'll always have a clock in my kitchen besides the little digital ones on the MW and stove.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Here's mine. But in retrospect, it doesn't work as well as I would have thought. The hands are silver and get a bit lost in the "spokes" of the clock. Maybe I'll take them off and paint them orange or something!

• User
    13 years ago

My new range has no clock, and the microwave is now behind a door. The time is displayed on the phone, thermostat and coffeemaker, but I have to get close to be able to read them. So I'm still searching for a wall clock.

So far all I've managed is to fall irrationally and hard for a clock that is eight feet tall and red. There's no place for it, and my husband has put his foot firmly down at a clock that would have to be bolted through the floor. Somehow putting such a thing outside, where it belongs, doesn't have any appeal for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: red clock

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Here's mine from West Elm.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm Clock

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Mnerg....you need that clock! It's double sided!!!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Too funny, Westsider! With all those clocks, he must always be on time.

I never realized until I checked just now but only our oven has a clock (MW behind doors) and if we're using the timer, the clock function goes away.

I prefer to check time on our ceramic kitchen-themed wall clock, which is part of a display on the wall opposite where I sit at the table (it's all about me, you see ;-).

It's battery powered so although it can sometimes be off a minute or so, it keeps running when the power goes out.

OT: Gotta brag momentarily. The linocut print shown in my photo was made by my cousin's wife, Anne Moore. It's an older piece she made more than 10 years ago. Her artwork is decidedly modern in feel these days. If anyone is interested, go to http://www.annesprints.com/. My cousin, Hyatt Moore, is also an incredibly talented artist, http://www.hyattmoore.com/. (We purchased one of his water colors years ago.) One of their daughters is also an artist. No family should have that much talent in it. ;-)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Very important to have a wall clock at our place. I'm just heading across town to pick up mine--Staples sends Internet orders to the nearest store. I had a nice wood-edged new one from Office Max but it's already hit the floor and gone west during the sturm and drang. Decided to get one that's a bit more mahogany looking--found one at Staples. Takes a while to find one that isn't merely decorative--we need large hands with strong contrast to background and no interfering decor on the face. Naturally, there are more big ones than ones less than 12 inches.

Digital ones aren't reliable when power isn't reliable. DH keeps turning off or blowing circuits. Many of my digital ones are winking at me here or have wrong time. The busted one was mounted over redone basement stairway--could be seen from new front entry, from garage entry and from the cockpit of the kitchen. I had already begun to rely on it.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Here's a close-up:

Here's how it looks on the wall over the sink:

My sister, mom, and I all have Movado watches (either I or my sister started the trend). We love them. Can't tell time well with them, but love 'em just the same. It's a family joke at this point. :-)

When I saw this clock at a now defunct Movado Boutique (and a coupon/sale event luring me in with it's siren's call of savings), I knew I had to purchase it for our kitchen as a combination belated holiday gift from my parents/anniversary gift for DH and me.

So what if I still have to look at the microwave if I want to know the time more accurately? It looks good, isn't that what counts? Ha ha!

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I don't have one, but I like Beekeeperswife's and Honeychurch's. I don't plan to get one, though. On our first floor, we have a mantle clock, grandfather clock, and a little shelf clock, in addition to the digital clocks on the appliances. That's enough. I like the kitschy kitty clock, though.

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

I've always liked the classic american clock that LLBean has been selling for years. It has easy-to-read numbers and hands, and a clean neat look. Like I said, classic--of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school. Also the bezel/hands come in several colors, though I like the red one and the white one best. Unfortunately, we don't have the wall space for a wall clock, so we rely on the MW clock. But the LLBean clock is for my "next" kitchen...

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Clock at L.L.Bean

• marthavila
    13 years ago

My clock is similar to Cat_Mom's. Not a Movado, but a Karlsson -- with constantly moving gears. Although I've got digital clocks on my range and coffeemaker, and although the design of my kitchen is largely "vintage"/cottage/period, I could not resist this rather modern clock. Must be those moveable gears that add a bit of steampunk!

Here's the close-up (excuse the shadows):

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

I have a clock with the numbers in kanji to go with my Asian influenced kitchen.

Jodi-

• sugar_maple_30
    13 years ago

We originally didn't have one in the new kitchen, but we all kept looking at the wall where the old one was, so the art came down and a new clock went up. I think it does double duty - it's functional and we like the way it looks:

This is where it's located on the wall:

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I have this pretty song bird clock . DH looked for the
    puppy clock but they were all out. : ( So ten or more
    years ago he brought home the bird clock as a substitute.
    I love it. It's silly, goofy, happy and it my personalilty
    perfectly. We really don't need it as we have 4 other digital
    clocks on various appliances this one is special with the
    singing birds every hour. The cool part is as soon as
    the sun goes down it remains silent. (Or maybe it knows
    PM from Am...hhhhmmmmm I wonder?)
    ~boxer

The one he looked for.

• User
    13 years ago

@Sabjimata, I don't know whether it unfortunate or fortunate that I didn't plan my kitchen with a spot for a clock atop a lamppost. Either way, it's a nice, unobtainable thing to pleasantly pine for.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

BoxerPups, you can find the dog clock on eBay.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Barking Dog Wall Clock

• papanda
    13 years ago

srg215,
    I'm gaga over your kitchen ceiling fixtures. Where did you get them? I have a similar one that is SS and it's looking abit seedy.
    TIA

• timber.j
    13 years ago

akchicago-I found a great clock for my kitchen on the link for the frog clock!

We really need a kitchen clock (none on the range, and the microwave one doesn't work anymore) but I have been waiting until I find just the right one. I always have to have my cell phone handy in the morning so the kids get out to the bus on time.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi nyyank...

I love clocks and of course put one back into my kitchen after it was remodeled..

KA:)

• sochi
    13 years ago

Here is our clock:

• Tom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW and I was thinking kitchen clocks were dead! Man was I wrong. This all started after I asked my wife if we needed a clock in the kitchen. I guess I need her to see this thread!

THANKS!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I had a cheap plastic blue rim battery clock "Before" along with a clock on the coffee pot, stove, and microwave but I still needed this one to accessorize my new "vintage" kitchen.

The cat reached out and grabbed my arm one day as I was almost running down the aisle at K-Mart. That was while the kitchen was being packed up. I didn't even know where I was going to put it. So I took it home ;-)

And now that I've seen what else is out there.....the chicken would work. The wood ruler one would work. The tall red one would work. Really like the cow! I should stop now.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

akchicago, I would be one to exclaim about her clock. That frog clock is great. None of the clocks on that site would fit with my new kitchen, but I love them anyway.

honeychurch, it was a surprise to see my clock on your wall. My sister bought it for me in the mid 80's when they lived in Germany. Mine is hanging on a wall in the living room.

• Suzy
    13 years ago

papanda: the pendant lights are restoration hardware. we love them.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Mine is yellow, of course, and a plug-in from last century, which seems to drive everyone crazy but me ("Is that thing safe? I can hear it move!"). Ha. Here it is helping me pick a wall color:

• prill
    13 years ago

Here's mine - similar to Lisa_a

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Thanks Jodi,
    Yes, but years ago it was not on E-bay. And now that
    I have the bird clock, I can't give it up. I just had to
    be silly and show the dog one to another dog fan.
    ~boxer

• cjc123
    13 years ago

Prill: I have that same clock! From a shop Spring Pottery in Newport, RI.
    Too funny! It is in a drawer right now I can't seem to find a place for it in the new kitchen :-(

Cindy

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Katsmah--yes it is from Germany, but from the 1950s, when my Dad's family was stationed there after WWII. We have to remember to wind it every other day or so, and it thinks one o'clock is 11, but otherwise it still works well! :-)

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

BoxerPups, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer hearing birds singing throughout the day better than dogs barking. :-)

Jodi- who was raised by two boxers ... my brindle boxer dog and my Golden Gloves boxer father. :-)

• judiec
    13 years ago

I have an atomic clock - tells the time, day, date, moon phase, and indoor and outdoor temperature. And it resets itself when the time changes.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

sugar_maple_30 - I love your clock. I think it would look great in my kitchen too. Where did you get it? Thank you.

• kalapointer
    13 years ago

Here is mine.

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

Anybody want a cookie?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookie Clock

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Jodi,
    That is soooo cool.
    I love boxer dogs and as a young girl loved watching
    Sugar Ray. My father was not a boxer.
    ~ boxer
    (Also raised by boxers Machiavelli, Pompey, Poca,
    Malarki, Cicero, Zico, Bianca, Blanco, Bella, and Laci)
    I miss them all so much.

• papanda
    13 years ago

srg215,
    Thanks for the info. I saw the fixture at restorationhardware.com It's on my wish list!

• sugar_maple_30
    13 years ago

Hi bostonpam.

I got it from a little decor store here in Toronto. I'm assuming you live in Boston...?

• maks_2000
    13 years ago

I think the kitchen wall clock is the bane of my existence. I looked forever for something cool/clever -- perhaps from Ballard Designs -- for my old kitchen. Of course Ballards only thinks clocks should be 19" in diameter, thus those never worked since I didn't have that kind of wall space. I finally broke down & bought a 10" from Target that matched (too matchy) my trim & cabinets. I then finally found one I loved at a consignment shop that matched my Deruta Ceramics!!! Yea!!

Now with my remodel we increased the size of the door moldings (Howe) & crown moldings (4") & I don't have room for my wonderful clock -- still no wall space & the space above the door shrank.

Oh well, for now the oven & microwave & Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer with integrated clock (always in time with the National Institute of Standards) will have to do. I keep saying I'll put it in the sunroom/breakfast room, but it hasn't happened, yet.

Thanks for asking. This is a great thread.

• farmhousebound
    13 years ago

I have three throughout but only have a picture of the one over the pantry:

• leela4
    13 years ago

I'm a little late to this party but I wanted to share a picture of our clock because we love it so much. It's a Seth Thomas regulator, and we've had it for almost 30 years. It was not directly in the old kitchen, but was visible from there. In the new kitchen area, it is on the wall opposite the kitchen proper, but with walls gone it is visible from anywhere in the "new" space. I especially like how I can see the time from a distance without my glasses on.

• kalapointer
    13 years ago

Here is my Deruta Ceramic clock that I use in my Pantry.

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

• positano
    13 years ago

I have one! I've been debating if I should add some pictures around it.

From Positano's Finished Kitchen