Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Need help designing window seat cabs beside corner fireplace

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I realize this is off topic for a kitchen, but it is really the cabinetry and trim details that I am trying to design for a window seat that we want beside our corner fireplace. I know you guys are the cabinet experts. Just to be sure, I have cross-posted on the home decorating forum. Specifically, we are puzzled by the following:

1)How you butt a corner fireplace beside a 2 feet deep window seat?

2)Should we just do end panels on either side of the window seat or stick with shelves on either side? Perhaps the end panels could be less deep than the seat?.

3)How do you design the right hand side (non fireplace side) so that it is balanced and visually appealing?

4)Should we even be trying to do a window seat here? DH is very keen on this feature.

BTW, we do need a valance over the window seat due to some duct work, which can offer some coziness and a lower ceiling for lights over window seat.

Here is the proposed floor plan. It does show just end panels on either side of the window seat but that is not necessarily the best solution.

Here is a sketch drawn when we thought to have a TV on other side of fireplace. Now we will have the TV in a pop-up console (shown behind the love seat). The TV will be less used here compared to the lower rec room.

Here is our attempts at an elevation picture:

Finally, here is the picture of the space under construction (and yes we are living in the house hence the bed) The fireplace will be scooted back against the corner and centered in front of the corner. For now it is out from the corner, but not for long.

I thank you in advance for any help you can provide. We seem to be rather stuck with this aspect of our design, and would love to get all or our cabinets ordered and all of the electrical rough-ins done. In other words we need to make these decisions.

Carol

Comments (29)

• User
    10 years ago

Your hearth face has to be pulled further forward if you want the window seat to butt into it. Kinda close to where you currently have it located, actually. This is all custom carpentry, right? It's not really suited to an Ikea hack. Too much hacking would have to happen.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Hollysprings,

I appreciate your thoughts. We initially placed the fireplace out from the wall to blend in with the deep window seat (at this time the TV was going on the other side too). However, when re-working the floor plan we preferred to save the floor space and move it back (there is tons of space lost behind that fireplace currently). We had hoped we could have our cake and eat it too? Maybe not.

As per cabinets, we will definitely get custom doors. We are still not sure if we will go the RTA cabinet route for the boxes only or HD or a custom cabinet maker for both boxes and doors. The price difference is huge, and I don't know if I care that much if I have top of the line cabinet boxes. DH has the time and skill to assemble as he is currently not working full time.

Can you please elaborate as to why Ikea or another RTA cabinet boxes can't work for the window seat cabinetry? Is there not a way to design it using standard sizes? Sorry if these questions sound silly. DH is the one who is working on the cabinet order and who would be assembling them if RTA.

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 7:11

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

Have you looked at using over the fridge cabs for your window seat base? These can work pretty well for this. Shelayne is a GW member who hacked Ikea cabs into nice storage benches for her banquette.

Do you want the cabinetry to adjoin the stove, or just be a separate component nearby?

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelayne's benches, and a few others, too.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

It might be easier to have them separate, but possibly tie them together by adding a little built in end table for the window seat...between the two. This would give you a place to set down coffee/tea, but still have plenty of leg room for the window seat.

I like your fireplace picture! What about shelves/cabinets between the window seat and patio door, rather than skinny cabinets on each side? That might look nice and give you just as much storage....and space for books. Always nice by a window seat :)

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laughable,

Thank you very much for that link to Shelayne's benches. That is very helpful. The window seat does not need to adjoin the fireplace and could be a separate element.

Lavender,

That is a great idea on the end table -- thanks. We will play with that and see how it works out. We can definitely move the storage to the right hand side of the window seat (patio door side). We do have the valance (drop ceiling over the window seat to incorporate).

Carol

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

What is the width of the fireplace plus the hearth surround that you want to use?

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

If it were me I'd be aiming for one of these two options -- and I would want to scooch the fireplace out so that the deep window seat absolutely didn't intrude on the view of the FP. I know nothing about clearances around fireplaces so not sure if this would work.

I also wouldn't frame in back rests on either side of the window seat -- too much light blocking and interferes with the view of the fp.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 10:56

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

If you're hacking I would also consider the hemnes system - making sure the TV bench was strong enough to be a window seat. Although it says max load is 110 lbs so that doesn't seem promising. I know nothing about carpentry / reinforcing things.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60250963/
    http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90227117/

Here is a link that might be useful: The Charming nest - making Hemnes built ins.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Live_wire_oak

The fireplace is 32 inches in width. We were hoping we could have 13-14 inches of surround on each side.

Robotropolis,

Thank you ever so much for your drawings and ideas! I am at work now so will look forward to carefully examining your ideas when I get home from work. I may have some questions, will you be able to check back this evening?

Carol

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

OK, so the face has 60" of width. That means that it will take up a minimum of 43" of wall space along the two walls, with the face totally abutting the wall., But, that's not fire safe for a bench next to it because the bench would protrude in front of the firebox. And your bench will be 24" deep?

To be Continued...

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

And you want it to look kinda like this, with the bookcase in the void between the fireplace and window seat. This uses a 24" deep window seat drawer bench, and a 24" wide bookcase. However, you should check the clearances of your model because you may not be able to use a bookcase that wide directly behind the fireplace as it may impinge on the needed clearance.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

If that's the case, then you'll need to pull forward the fireplace until the right and left side of the surround are around 67" from the corner.

You won't waste as much space if you skip the window seat. And, corner configurations are always more space wasting in many ways that straight on.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Live_Wire_Oak,

I can't believe how helpful you are. Thank you for allowing us to visualize what the combo fireplace window seat would look like. I gather, given you have a bench on either side of the fireplace, you think it should be balanced with an element on either side?

It looks like we will need to either pull the fireplace out (i.e. keep it where it is roughly) and use up floor space, or ditch the window seat.

Robotropolis,

Can you kindly tell me the scale you used? I think you have offered a nice compromise.

Everyone,

If we let go of the idea of a window seat, what piece of furniture would you place under the window instead of the window seat?

Our dining room/great room/kitchen forms an L shape. We have previously been told that the corner where the fireplace is situated is the best spot as it is a major focal point from the kitchen, dining room and dining room. It is the first thing you see in that room. Having said that, should we be moving the fireplace to the wall where the two chairs are shown. That would involve some labour cost at this point, but I just want this right.

Here is a bird's eye view of the three rooms. Everything about the kitchen has changed except the location. There are lots of other changes, but you will get the idea of the shape of the open concept space (please ignore the shading too).

Carol

• User
    10 years ago

I don't think you can actually see the fireplace from most of the kitchen. Either way, it's not in the kitchen, so I wouldnt let that drive placement at all. Figure out the best seating arrangement based on real sized furniture first, without even considering the fireplace.

Just looking at the overall space, it would seem to me that a long sofa would best work lengthwise. That would mean on the window wall or on the stair wall. Then the you need to decide if viewing a fireplace is the primary function of the space, or is conversation, or is Tv viewing. You won't have an optimal layout that addresses all of the functions equally, so you need to prioritize.

If viewing the fireplace ranks the highest, then it needs to go directly across from the main sofa. If conversation is most important, then it's possible that the end wall that you currently show it on would be the best location, as that would be a dramatic visual punctuation to the room. If you need TV viewing to be the primary focus, then the fireplace might need to shift to the DR, or maybe halfway between the two as the focal point as you walk through the kitchen. Or another room entirely.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Hollysprings,

Thanks for returning with some commentary. I would say conversation and enjoying the fireplace rank equally. There will be a TV in there, but it will be infrequently watched, and only by a few viewers. For example, I can see DH and myself watching the odd movie on this TV. My kids have a big basement rec room with lots of seating around a TV. The boys call it the man cave and my daughter, who is the youngest, does too!

I am not up to the big cost of moving the fireplace to in between the dining room and great room, nor into the dining room entirely. We really like having it viewable and enjoyable in the great room. We might be willing to move the fireplace to the outside wall where shown in my 18:03 post (at least it is near the gas line here). BTW, I really can see that fireplace from most of the kitchen and certainly from both my main prep space and from my clean-up zone (which is now on a peninsula facing the dining room). The door way leading to basement stairs was not built as planned which does open the kitchen to great room more.

I will play around with some other furniture arrangements and see if can find something I like. I will use your thoughts to re-work the seating.

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this any better?

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sena01,

That is a lovely window seat. I do like how it goes around the corner. It would have to be very long to work in our situation as the window is a ways off the corner. However, maybe we can use that idea else where.

Thanks for the idea.

Carol

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like your inspiration picture on the Building forum! I think you should try that. Mark it out on your floor and see what you think...before you move the fireplace :)

• redroze
    10 years ago

We have a corner fireplace too and had trouble with the wall unit and where it buts into the fireplace...here's what we did.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• redroze
    10 years ago

Another view.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lavender for your vote.

Redroze, your built-ins and fireplace look fantastic -- thanks for the inspiration picture. How did you arrange seating to see both TV and fireplace? Can you tell me what shape your room is? It doesn't look exactly like a rectangle?

Here is one more option we are considering. It involves moving the fireplace to the centre, which is a drag, but I do prefer it centered. I show a couch under the window, but we might be able to go back to the window seat instead. We found out we can get a low glare LCD TV so the south windows won't be that much of an issue. Beside, almost all TV viewing takes places after the sun goes down. Any comments? I am still hoping to draw out a few more options.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Carol - sorry I am of no help but I wanted to say I will be over to sit in that chair that is nestled in the corner by the fireplace. That looks like a very cozy spot for reading to me!

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Autumn,

LOL, I will be happy to give you my seat if you visit. Sorry I can't offer you any snow free weather, as we are as covered in high snow banks as you (as per your building forum update).

I do hate making these decisions. I hope I will finally find something that will work.

Carol

• redroze
    10 years ago

This shows a better view...the sectional faces out so that the tv and fireplace are both visible. My family room is squarish I think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Family room

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

redroze,

Interesting to see your journey and the wonderful final solution. A dark colour is very effective I hope to have DH draw me something with a TV cabinet in the corner and fireplace in middle (flip of yours).

Thanks for the help.

Carol

• redroze
    10 years ago

Not a problem. I checked and it's pretty square...about 13'0 by 13'5".

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

carol-well I CAN get to Canada from here quite easily...but I think it'd be easier travel with a snowmobile and that I do not have. ;)

In our last home we had a fireplace in the corner and the TV on the adjacent wall with a sectional very similar to redroze. It did work out well but I think redroze's dimensions and your own being more square would make it all the better. Our 'TV' wall was much longer than the fireplace wall.

I know that putting it in the corner does eat up more room and that is one negative but in our case it made the most sense and I really liked it. I felt like you could very comfortably watch the TV and get the warmth from the fireplace ("my" seat was of course the closest one to it). The TV wasn't massive and really didn't 'steal the show'. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the fireplace and the tv in one frame and we have moved on from there.

I like Senai01's window seat pic - that is awesome. Too bad your window is too far removed, that would really work well otherwise.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everyone,

I have started a new thread with my two favourite room arrangements. I felt since we were no longer combining the fireplace and window seat, I should start a new thread.. Please come to the thread below to give me your vote. I appreciate all the help I was given on this thread.

LOL Autumn -- no snowmobile here either. We still may try a last arrangement with the TV in corner and fire in middle that would work like you described in your last post.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Please vote on my great room arrangement

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County