Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smelly Disposal...

Posted by sgrammer (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 20:31

Pretty frequently, my garbage disposal will begin to smell. Each time, I would pour baking soda and vinegar down it and it would smell fine for a few days but it would eventually come back. I've done this about 6 times already and it still comes back. It's just my wife and I and I don't think we put so much food down the sink to make it continuously smell. Does anyone know what else I can do besides the vinegar/baking soda mix to eliminate the smell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smelly Disposal...

put a whole lemon through it. I think the vinegar and soda just goes down the drain. It might need something to get its teeth into.

o

I put citrisolve down it and let it sit for a while before rinsing. You can also dilute it and flood with a pitcher of water and Citrasolv while running the disposal to make sure it gets to all the nook and crannies. Then let sit with full strength poured in there and the drain before rinsing. It is a great degreaser.
http://www.amazon.com/Citra-Cleaner-Degreaser-Concentrate-Valencia/dp/B004714LJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390010586&sr=8-1&keywords=citri+solv

I also use Bac Out. It is an enzyme cleaner so gets rid of bacteria that causes odors. You have to let it sit in there for it to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bac Out

o

Pull out the rubbery drain cover thingy and check the bottom of it--gunk will build up on it and smell really bad. You might also clean around where that rubbery drain cover thingy sits in the drain with cleanser.

o

I didn't know for a year that the rubber gasket could be taken out to be cleaned.

Run a batch of ice cubes through it. Cleans the blades. Any citrus fruit I let sit for a while in the disposal before running.

o

If you haven't already, take the rubber gasket out to clean it - like Debra, I didn't know it was removable for a while. Gunk can build up there. I'm not certain if all GD have that gasket, but I think all InSinkErators do.

I also second the ice cubes along with citrus - a lemon, lime, or orange works quite well. I usually find that a lemon or lime (that I've squeezed most of the juice from for cooking, but you could use one with all the juice) along with 2 or 3 ice cubes does the trick.

o

Years ago my wonderful plumber advised me to run a whole "tray" (2-4 cups) of ice cubes through the disposal about once a month, and it's been great ever since.

o

Don't let small batches of food sit in the disposal until "it's worth running".

That, and the cleaning suggestions.

o

People tend to not run the GD long enough. I know I am guilty of that. I usually hit the switch for a few seconds, but once a day I will let it run longer. Also make sure you are letting the water run a bit AFTER you turn off the GD.

o

I am currently renting out the home where we did my beloved Reno in 2007. I say this because I'm quite particular about the kitchen condition when a tenant moves.

Anyway, the last tenants left and the sink smelled... Here's what I did....have a pitcher of ice handy, baking soda and vinegar.

I put baking soda and ice in layers,filling the disposal. I started the disposal running and as the ice was getting pulverized, I started drizzling the vinegar, which causes the foaming.

I did this process a couple of times. The first run, the ice got totall brown and nasty. The second run, not so bad. After that there was just some gunk high on the walls, so I purchased some nasty chemical foam. It worked,but I do prefer my home cleaners.

I don't know why the disposer was so nasty.... The prior tenants were there longer and did not seem to have the same issue...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here