Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtsteveo

Kitchen remodel - going through final design...opinions wanted!

vtsteveo
10 years ago

Hello all:

I'm in the process of finalizing some plans for my kitchen so I can order cabinets. I've attached my own CAD drawing. I'll do my best to explain.

1) There are 3 "entrances" to the kitchen.
a) West Wall, 75 1/2" opening which is a step down to a TV room
b) South Wall, 36" opening to dining room
c) East Wall, 38 1/2" hallway to bathroom/bedroom

2) I really would like either a bar on a peninsula or island. Based on many iterations, this is the best setup I can come up with.

3) My air return is will require a 12" cabinet between the fridge and 27 1/2" wall. I'm proposing a full height cabinet with the return in the bottom half.

4) There is unfinished basement under the kitchen. I've done my best to place appliances proximal to their "current" location. i.e., sink is under window. Fridge is on the same wall. Range is currently against "west" wall.

5) My biggest contemplation/worry: Venting the range. I'm considering moving the sink to the peninsula, and placing the range in the NW corner where the 33" pots/pans drawers are currently planned. Because of unfinished basement, I don't think plumbing changes would be that significant/costly, and these costs may be recovered in the more simple exhaust system.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. While the "sink or stove in peninsula/island" has been beat to death, please understand that every kitchen is unique and I'd value some other "detailed oriented" opinions. Thanks again!

-Steve

Comments (10)

• vtsteveo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

See digital rendition from Lowes/HD.

• vtsteveo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• vtsteveo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FYI, I was planning a slide-in range, not a freestanding as depicted in the picture.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Is that 100 1/"2" wall solid ? I would put the range there and get it off the peninsula. Make the peninsula all counter height and only 24-30" deep. That would open up your kitchen a bit. You can then put a vent hood on that wall?
    I would make all wall cabs go to the ceiling. Not a fan of the staggered height variations. Just looks too busy-busy to me.
    I would not move the range to the corner unless you move the fridge somewhere else and that doesn't look too likely.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Yes, what is the 100 1/2" wall? Is that full height usable wall? If so, your layout could be a million times better, I think.

I also agree with the above that making the cabs all one height is better.

I also see you are debating a 33 vs 36 fridge. Go with the 36. I was debating the same and found there are very few 33 left on the market and my KD thinks they will likely be phased out very soon. Or only offered in 1 or 2 models. That will make everything difficult down the line when you need to replace the fridge (or the next owner has to!).

• vtsteveo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the 101 1/2" wall is a full height wall. Currently, my range is against that wall.

The reason I did not place any cabinets against it in the presented design is due to cabinet cost. My first iteration had cabinets on all 3 walls, and I was shocked at the cabinet price. I figured that by removing 2 base corners, 1 wall corner, and several additional wall cabinets, I would save significant cost.

Thanks for the prompt responses.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

You live in and use your kitchen every single day you are in your house. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish with a bad layout. There are plenty of cost cutting strategies that can be explored AFTER you get the permanent set in stone layout figured out.

And the first order of business would be to make an L shaped kitchen rather than that practically useless peninsula. Second is to ditch the 33" corner cabinet in favor f a 36". The difference in access and storage is HUGE. Third would to settle on a standard 36" fridge. Do all of that and in a budget cabnet line, the kitchen shouldn't be more than 10K. National average cabinet expenditure is around 23K, so you would be well below half that.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

sounds like your layout might change so this might be a totally moot point but in general, I think its best to have the trash pullout near the sink, where you have it here looks a little inconvenient.

Good luck!

• vtsteveo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, but I'm going to have to challenge a few questions.
    1) PPBenn/KathyN: It is definitely feasible to move the stove to the 101 1/2" wall - I appreciate that point. I could perhaps only do base cabinets and the range along this wall. If I only added a range hood, I wouldn't see a huge impact in price, without wall cabinets. I could keep the peninsula then.

2) Based on everyone's recommendation, I'll go with a 36" fridge.

3) Live Wire: If I make this an "L" shape, I lose the bar seating, with is a top priority for me. I want a dine-in area in the kitchen. Also, if I go with an "L" shape, I would either have to put the fridge on the window wall, or put the stove and fridge on the window wall. Please advise. Also, assuming the same setup as proposed, I could make the corner cabinet 36". If the fridge is 36", I'm left with an awkward 6" of leftover space. I could make the cabinet which houses the return 18", but this pushes the fridge more against the corner.

• sena01
    10 years ago

I'd consider a U and a bar on wheels like youngdeb's (a free standing one you can push to the DR wall when not in use or move closer to the kitchen when needed). The bar could be counter height so it can be used for prep. If you plan to have natural or man made stone counters for the kitchen, I guess laminate would be better for the bar, so it won't be too heavy.

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103)

More from [Deb's kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-practical-budget-friendly-beauty-in-dallas-stsetivw-vs~8192302).

If a base cab would be OK with the air return I'd have the range on that wall and fridge on the TV room wall so DW door can open freely. For uppers a combination of cabs and shelves maybe less pricy.