Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuliao

Super White is gone, what options do i have???

YuliaO
10 years ago

A couple walked into the stone yard just before we did�And bought all the remaining Super White there was�

I am devastated�.But i need to choose countertops ASAP

What else can i get? Super White honed is at the top of our price range, so nothing that is more expensive� We like grayish colors, not beige, better lighter then darker. Our kitchen is abstract white ikea (very modern shiny white)�Oh, and my husband would not be able to live with something that is easily stained/chipped. We are ok with maintenance but not up for something that gets a new mark every time we blink�.

So what should i look for? I have one day to pick the counters�
Please PLEASE help!! We liked Pietra but everybody says it stains easily�We like (more or less) soapstone, but it gets marks, too�

here is our backsplash, if it helps�

Comments (32)

• carree
    10 years ago

White macaubus? Or Taj Mahal quartzite? Not sure how it compares to super white pricing

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Have you looked at honed Virginia Mist (also known as Jet Mist) granite?

Honed, it somewhat resembles soapstone in look, and being granite, resists stains/marks in general. I think it might be same price range as Super White.

I could see it with your backsplash and modern cabinets too, if your not going with a quartz.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

What about quartz? Lots of options in gray or lighter, reasonably bulletproof.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I found this by googling Bianco Romano:

I think the pic is from a place debeer granite.

• kinei
    10 years ago

If your husband can't live with anything that can get easily stained/chipped good thing you didn't get the super white. People here have found out that super white is actually a marble not a quartzite. What was the price point for your super white. Madre perla and white macaubas are a couple of good choices. They may be a bit more pricey than the super white though.

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

Is there another stone yard?

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Do you have any Princess White in the nearby stoneyards? I found it to be quite pricey compared to the Super White (which in my area stoneyards, etched). I second (third?) the recommendation on White Macaubus (or Calacatta Quartz -- the cross cut variant).

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On the other stone yards super white was not as nice and actually was softer :(, scratched easier too

My husband does not like quartz, go figure...

Jet mist honed was our second option, until I saw it installed in one showroom... It looks like someone spilled the flour all over... I didn't like the look :(

Our super white was priced at $80 per sq ft honed sealed and installed...

I'll look at other options, thank you!

• bosma
    10 years ago

We just installed quartz, which sounds like it might be a no go for you, but it is called Cygnus and is light grey with darker gray swirls. I like it because it was not spotted. Good luck!

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so upset :( we have black silgranite sink, black kohler carbon faucet and black pulls which would look great as accents on white kitchen with white/grey countertopâ¦But with jet mistâ¦it would all look just depressing :((((

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Any other places locally or even semi-locally that you might be able to find Super White?

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

other place has superwhite, but i don't like it, and it scratches very easily

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Went to 2 places today... All whites I looked at have some yellow/green stains in it...

I picked soapstone, tell me I am not going to regret it....

It scratches, but at least it does not stain, right? RIGHT?

I never knew picking countertop could be so stressful... I need a drink lol

• leela4
    10 years ago

Your soapstone will NOT stain. Those of us who have it love it. What kind did you choose? Pictures?

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

they just got it when i came in so they didn't even know what is the name of it, i guess they didnt receive the papers or something yetâ¦â¦.the only doubt i have is that this piece i chose..is pretty softâ¦They had harder one but i didn't like the look of it, black and shinyâ¦

the left part is just wet, not oiled

• AboutToGetDusty
    10 years ago

Soapstone is not porous, so it will not stain and it does not need to be sealed. You can oil it, or not. We love our harder variety soapstone in our white kitchen, but it is on the dark side. Over a year and a half and it's been (knock on wood) super easy to maintain. If I were you, I'd find out what variety you picked - it's good to know. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dusty's white & soapstone kitchen

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

close up

it has freckles, its not water dropsâ¦.

• xc60
    10 years ago

It's very pretty!

• romy718
    10 years ago

That stone is gorgeous!!! Sometimes things are meant to be & that stone was meant to be yours.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both so much! I think its very pretty, too!

I was almost having nervous break down todayâ¦I am stressing out so much (which is really not my usual reaction to thingsâ¦.) i think my husband does not care about scratches and stains anymore, he is just scared to see me so stressedâ¦

I am gonna go get me some wineâ¦again

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Hehehe - wine helps!!! Kitchen reno can be very stressful, but you sound like you are taking things in stride. The soapstone is very pretty. Agree with Romy - it was meant to be.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    now i am off to appliance forum, because my range top didn't arrive yet and i need to pick something tomorrowâ¦

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to write an updateâ¦.our soapstone is in and i LOVE it!
    i am still concerned about scratching, and also it has some strange blue stain, but other then that - its beautiful!!!

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i have no idea why the photo is sideways⦠anyway, soapstone is not photogenic :) those freckles are actually glossy pieces :)

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

yulio-it sure IS photogenic. It's beautiful. I love the look of soapstone un-oiled. It looks fantastic and has plenty of character!

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i like the un-oiled look, too! I caught the installers with oil, they almost applied it! I'll have to apply it at some point, because this soapstone is VERY softâ¦or, i'll learn to sand it :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

It is definitely photogenic! Love it!

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On the good side of things, my husband (thank you, dear!!) talked me into returning black silgranite sink we had... We got Kohler stages! Yay! I wanted it from the beginning but was afraid to spend so much on a sink....
    I ordered it online with overnight delivery and the sink got here just in time for measurements!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Yulia - your soapstone is gorgeous. While it's a different direction than you started out with, I hope you'll love it very much. For the most part here from what I've read, it sounds like those who have bought soapstone have been very, very pleased.

Oh, and congrats on the sink! Can't wait to see everything all in!

• Jordan E
    10 years ago

Yulia, I love that soapstone! Did you find out the name of it? I'd love to see your sink too :)

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I love soapstone. Had a remnant piece in my last kitchen and thought it was so beautiful...even more wonderful is the feel. There's something about soapstone that feels so delicious!

• AboutToGetDusty
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Congratulations :-)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath