Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montanamaven

One large stainless sink or a divided one?

Diane Clayton
14 years ago

I love the idea of a big kitchen sink where I could stick a whole platter down into it. But I went to a showroom today and the saleswoman showed me this Mirabelle sink that had two sinks and was quite spiffy. She likes to keep a sink filled with suds when she is entertaining, she said. But I couldn't get a lasagna pan flat in it. Is that important? I like to fill a pan up and let it soak a bit. Hmmm?

I am going to have a nice size sink on the counter /bar between kitchen and family room. (14 by 14 by 10 deep) It's big enough to set a big double boiler in.

What to do?

Comments (18)

• steff_1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It really is about how you plan to use the sink. You can always put a dishpan filled with suds in the single sink and take it out easily when you need the whole sink. You can't convert a double bowl sink to single when you need to soak the lasagna pan or wash the baking sheet.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

The subject of single or double bowl sinks has been discussed a lot on this forum. I'll link a thread below, but there are many others. There's no "correct" choice; it's a matter of how you operate in your kitchen, and people differ in that regard. I myself prefer a single bowl sink, specifically a rectangular (not D-shape) one, and I use my dishwasher as much as possible. I wouldn't go back to the double bowl style I had in my last home.

I am a little confused by your post. Is the sink you mentioned that is 14 x 14 x 10 a second sink in your kitchen, or the only sink? If it is the only sink, that is really small. I am going to assume you meant that is a second sink. For your main sink, what is the width of the cabinet base? That might help you narrow down your choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Single vs. Double Bowl Sink

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Have you had a 2-sink kitchen before? I was always an staunch believer in a 2-bowl sink, but now that I have a prep sink for dealing with food and the cleanup sink can be just for dirty dishes, I wish I'd gone with a big single instead of a double. However, I can lie my lasagna pans and other large pans in my double sink (Kohler Clarity), because the bigger bowl measures 14" x 17 1/2" inside at the bottom (larger at the top). I just wish I could soak the parts of my rangetop that are 24" long, which I could've done in a Silgranite Supersingle.

• Diane Clayton
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much. Yes, I will have two sinks. The prep sink will be 14 by 14 by 10 in the large eating counter. I think I will stick with the big one basin sink and take the advice of using soapy pan or for a dinner party I could put all the pans in the utility sink in the mudroom laundry room around the corner.

I am more of a disorderly throw things around cook. So the big one would accommodate that. That is why I am choosing stainless. It was recommended for people who throw things in the sink.

• threegraces
    14 years ago

How do you rinse dishes with a single? I currently have a double so I fill the left side with sudsy water, then I rinse and drain in the right side.

I had never considered a single sink but then I think how nice it would be to put entire pans and cookie sheets in my sink instead of washing one half at a time. We do a lot of handwashing at my house.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

one. big. sink.

• jeri
    14 years ago

Our last house had a big single sink. We loved it! We just moved into a house where the kitchen sink is 48 inches (yep 48) wide. It is a triple bowl with the middle one being very small and raised  just for scraping food into the disposal. We do not like this sink. We will be remodeling and going to a single sink again.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Kate said it all:

one. big. sink.

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

The rinsing question was the biggest hurdle I had with transitioning from lifelong use of double sinks to the big single we now have & love. What I finally realized is that the washing & rinsing methods need to change with the sink.

With a big single sink, you rarely fill the sink with water. Instead, you either: scrub the item(s), then rinse/spray clean & set on a rack or towel to dry, or load the scrubbed items into a rack in the other half of the sink and spray clean, or fill a dishpan with soapy water to soak & wash items, then rack or just spray clean.

The only time I "fill" our sink is to do major soaking. However, many pans need soaking just on the inside, without putting water into the sink itself, & the sink allows the pans to be flat.

• squigs
    14 years ago

If I had a prep sink, I would definitely go for a big single.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

If I just have a few items, I will rinse out the largest item and use it instead of a dishpan. This is my method even though I currently have a double sink which will be changing to single soon. We live in an area with water restrictions so not filling the sink will save a lot of water over time.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

We have a prep sink (15-3/4" square) but we also have a two-bowl cleanup sink that has a big bowl that's 21-1/2" wide...plenty big enough for a lasagna pan, our largest cookie sheet, roasting pans, etc. The prep sink is for prep only, not cleanup, so it does not supplement the cleanup sink as a second bowl. (Where will you store that dishpan when not in use?)

Here's another thread that discusses this: Thread: Double bowl versus single?

• Diane Clayton
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just talked to my sister and she had a big single sink in Houston. Now she is in Bay Harbor, Michigan and has a double sink and does not like it. She will go back to a single sink. Using a terry cloth towel for a drain is so much better than racks. Shocked I hadn't thought of that before.

I just wash and rinse my pans and then put them on a towel to dry. So one sink it is.

Thanks everybody.

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

I had a double sink and was convinced all the single sink people were crazy or something ;o)....then on a last minute whim ordered a single sink.....LOVE it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

And I ADORE my Allora Pullout faucet [I also thought 'whatever' about that...] It's FANTASTIC.

Good luck.

Trish

• kaismom
    14 years ago

When I moved into this house, there was a builder grade double sink. I have never had a double sink before. I could not put anything large in the sink to soak. I had my husband rip out the double sink and put in a single large sink that fit in that space. Best $500 ever spent! I have never had a prep sink and I will not get one for my kitchen remodel even though I have the space. I prefer the NOT have anything on my island for the look and function of having uninterrupted space. I don't miss not having that second sink....

I also never had dish drying rack except for the first couple years after I had my own place in my 20s. It is completely useless and takes up space. I use towels on the counter and when done hand washing, dry all the dishes/pots/pans and throw the dish towel in the laundry room. Now days, the only few things that get hand washed are really super large pots and pans that do not fit in the DW. Most people just don't have enough things that they handwash.

One of the goals for my kitchen remodel is to reduce the number of items that I actually NEED in my kitchen. I am trying to figure out how to have an appliance that can double as a toaster oven and a MW... Two off the counter!

I am also trying to decide if I need the Kitchen aid mixer, Cuisinart, hand held stick blender, double whisk hand mixer all in my kitchen! It's easy to buy these things at the time of purchase, but your kitchen gets over run with junk that does not used that often!

• missmuffet
    14 years ago

One Big Sink - for the Soakers :0)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

From the thread I linked to previously...

++++++++++

When most people think of double-bowl sinks they think of the ones with both bowls the same size...and I have to agree that those aren't that useful (unless both bowls are really big...but that would mean a 48" sink base or so!)

However, today there are a lot of other options for double-bowl sinks. Most of us who still prefer a double-bowl sink have unequal sized bowls. My sink, for example, has one bowl 21-3/8" x 18-3/4" x 9" and the other bowl is 10-1/2" x 15-7/8" x 7". I can fit my largest cookie sheet, my largest frying pan + handle, roasting pans/racks, refrigerator bins, and refrigerator shelves in my large bowl. I don't hand wash oven racks so they're not an issue.

Whether a double- or single-bowl sink is right for you depends on how you use your sink.

Do you cleanup as you go along so there are never any dirty dishes in the sink so you would not have an issue with trying to prep in a sink full of dirty dishes? Does only one person usually use the kitchen at a time so there's no competition for a sink? Do you have a separate prep sink? Do you only have room for a small sink base in your kitchen (generally If yes to all of the above, then you may very well be fine with a single-bowl sink.

However, if you frequently have a sink full of dirty dishes or if more than one of you work in the kitchen at the same time (especially if one is cleaning up while the other preps or cooks) and you only have one sink in the kitchen, then think carefully about single- vs double-bowl sinks.

Yes, you can put a dishpan in a single bowl sink, but then you have to find a place to store that dish pan when not in use...and they're not small. You also have to make room in the sink for the pan when it comes time to use it. If you leave it in the sink all the time...then maybe there's a reason (perhaps you really do need a small bowl on a regular basis).

In our home, we frequently have 2 or more people working in the kitchen at one time. We do have a prep sink, so to some degree that issue is taken care of. However, then we analyzed how we did the dishes (or, should I say, how my DH does the dishes!). We realized that he likes to have one bowl to stack dirty dishes and/or soak pans and still have a bowl open for other uses like washing hands, soaking utensils, etc. It made sense to us to stick w/a double-bowl sink. In particular, my DH didn't want to have to find room in a sink for a dishpan once dirty dishes started stacking up (there's no way asking everyone to corral dirty dishes in only one part of a single-bowl would work) and he didn't want to have to deal with emptying it...it's a lot easier to just pull out a strainer.

In the end, it's really how you use your sink. I will say this, if you cannot fit at least a 33" sink base in your kitchen, then I think a single-bowl is probably better since even the larger of unequal sized bowls in a smaller sink base probably won't be big enough. I would aim for at least one bowl to be around 20" wide (or greater). But, you don't want the small bowl to be so small that it's useless. I wouldn't go for anything less than 10" or so.

• legal6779_aol_com
    12 years ago

Has anyone seen a double sink in a kitchen with 2 faucets? Instead of just a double sink with a swivel faucet serving both, I'd like two side by side sinks, each with their own faucet....anything like that out there? Oh, and I'd like each of the sinks to be at least 20 inches wide.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES