Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

It's time to show off your modern kitchen

aloha2009
13 years ago

I've always been a traditional girl in my style, but I'm breaking away to a more modern/sleek look. The few I've seen here are pretty awesome. Let the unveiling begin. Drum roll.....

Comments (31)

• rhome410
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The pics? Or are you still drum rolling to really build the anticipation? :-)

• sochi
    13 years ago

I love good design of any style, but .... modern is where my heart is. Break away, life is good in the modern world!

Hopefully the modern folks do post their pictures here, I think it will be useful for future modern kitchen lovers to have many different modern kitchens showcased in one thread.

Here are a few pics of my modern kitchen (still don't have my island or backsplash - soon I promise):

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Oh, duh. Can't read...I thought you were unveiling YOUR modern kitchen! Sorry...

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

My MCM kitchen in my 1838 house. These were converted to apts. in 1965, and the floating stairs were added at that time. I felt it was best to both conceal the kitchen somewhat, but renovate in a style that acknowledged that there were modern stairs right there.

• rockybird
    13 years ago

Wow. Great kitchens! My new mcm house is a blank slate right now, but hopefully I can add some pics in a couple months. Sochi, what kind of wood did you use on those cabs. They are wonderful. Pamplisest, that is a great house! The woodwork and stairs are beautiful.

Below are pics from my mcm condo, ikea and concrete counters, not quite finished. The green was not my idea. I came home one day to find the handyman had painted it green for some reason. I am planning to repaint when I move out into the new house.

and my floating stairs:

• sochi
    13 years ago

rockybird: my cabinets are natural walnut (no stain), with bookmarked grain (I think that is what you call it anyway). My kitchen has been mostly finished since last April (two items still to complete), and all these months later the walnut still takes by breath away. I love it, definitely my favourite wood. Can't wait to see your walnut cabs!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I think our kitchen straddles that fine line between contemporary and modern. Usually we describe it as being "contemporary with warmth" or "organic contemporary" but it does seem a little more modern than some of the contemporary kitchens we've seen on GW (that are described as such), and less so than ones that are quite obviously modern (like rockybird's and palimpsest, and even jakabedy's and sochi's).

We opened up the wall between the kitchen, and what was then the DR (now our LR), and vaulted the ceiling in both rooms as part of the reno.

• sochi
    13 years ago

cat_mom, your comment made me consider the difference between contemporary and modern design. To me, modernism is a distinct design "school", started in the early 20th century, spare lines, geometric figures, etc. Contemporary refers to a time period to me, rather than a specific "design". The article I found below does talk about a "contemporary" design as the more minimal, streamlined design. So I'm confused - perhaps some of the design experts could chime in. What is the difference between modern and contemporary? Are those lovely sleek Italian/German kitchens modern or contemporary? All thoughts welcome!

I've attached the link, and pasted the article below:
    History

Modern design was evolved in 1920s in Germany and was drastically sough to simplify the Victorian style. On the other hand, contemporary design was evolved many years later and has itself focused on variety and comfort.

Types

Both contemporary and modern styles have various popular types. Some of the popular modern designs are bohemian modern, mid century modern, and vintage modern. On the other hand, contemporary design deals with the monochromatic, minimalistic and neutral color scheme.

Features

Modern design is simple and sober and features minimal accessories. The modern design is characterized with angular frames, low profiles, geometric and abstract patterns in textiles, upholstery as well as in artwork. Natural materials like linen, leather and teak wood are mostly used. The lines are unembellished as well as straight. In modern design, the furniture is often raised from the floor with the help of legs in order to create an airy and open atmosphere. Colors used in modern design are neutral shades that are highlighted with splashes of color. Walls are generally cream and white in color. Floors are mostly made of cement or bare wood. In addition, sculptures and paintings are used as an integral part of modern design.

As contemporary design deals with "the present moment", the style of the design is of the day. Contemporary design is known to feature reflective surfaces, clean and sleek lines, innovative graphical patterns, unusual colors, rounded forms, and asymmetrical designs. One has the liberty to play with colors and patterns in contemporary design. Lots of polished marble, Lucite and stainless steel details are embedded in the design. The other materials used in contemporary design are recycled materials and variations of chrome, plastic and plaster. The tenets of contemporary style are open ended. As a result, new colors and pieces can be incorporated over time.

Effect

Modern design is known to impart a retro effect as it features vintage pieces such as Eames chairs, Formica tables and ottomans. In contrast, a futuristic element is created by contemporary design through the use of modular shelving and pod seating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Contemporary vs. Modern

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Okay, I am as confused, or even more than you are sochi! :-)

I guess I've always thought of real modern-modern as being more stark than contemporary; maybe a little more severe (?). Not colder, but just slightly less warm and fuzzy if that makes any sense.

I've mentioned here before, that our kitchen looks very similar to inspiration photos I'd torn out of magazines and newspapers years and years ago (means it's a classic, too, right? LOL).

My other favorites from years past, were kitchens with those Italian/German sleek, lacquered cabs that sochi mentioned. I'd always considered them to be the ultimate modern look/ideal. My heart still does flip-flops when I see them (old-timers here will recall Organic Donna's stunning condo kitchen--black lacquer cabs, I think Snaidro, topped with attention-grabbing Blue Bahia granite, and revens1's candy apple red cabs--yum!).

Whether or not I am (or we all are) backwards when it comes to identifying our kitchens using the correct terminology, I certainly enjoy viewing the contemporary AND modern eye-candy presented by our fellow GW'ers, so keep those pics comin' (no matter what your kitchen/home is designated sochi--I still love it a bunch!).

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

My, not quite finished kitchen is a real mix between modern and contemporary. I like to think that it brings in elements of both.

After looking at kitchens by Sochi, Jakabedy and Catmom, a vision formed in my head, as I looked at materials. I started out knowing I wanted birch cabinets but I knew I didn't want then to turn yellow on me. I worked with a really good custom cabinet maker and we came up with my driftwood look.

As soon as a few details are finished, I'll do a proper new kitchen thread. So don't look too closely at the glaring white switch plates or lack of backsplash. I just took these quick shots for this thread.

Nancy

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I really like the driftwood finish, and what is the countertop material?

• blfenton
    13 years ago

wizardnm: I am in love with your hood vent and I've seen pictures of the napkin/hanky lights but have never seen them in a kitchen - what a delightful surprise - stunning.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Aloha2009: thanks for starting this thread. I am a closet-admirer of all things modern but would never be able to get that style past my DH. I'm really enjoying this and hope more will post their photos.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Ooooh great thread. More please.
    Aloha I too have always considered my style more classic timeless traditional, leaning toward clean lines, but uncluttered, sleek lines and modern touches are really catching my eye. Maybe because I'm "Mid Century" myself! :>) A slightly older yet very fashion forward contemporry artist friend jokes about not wanting to be surrounded by antiques as she becomes one herself! Ha!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Palimpsest, the counter is quartz and has those little mirror blingy pieces in it. It's by Pental, color Sterling.
    I'm lovin' it.

Nancy

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These kitchen are all pretty sweet looking! With each one I see, it makes putting it all together easier. The more I see, the more I want the modern look.

Blfenton, I too didn't think my DH would go for it, but surprisingly he too is on board. He' concerned it will go out of style, but we're old enough to know EVERYTHING goes out of style, so just enjoy it.

Island, my DH and I were out shopping at the local eye candy for kitchens (so much better then Lowes and HD)....this store has everything!!! I told the salesperson, I'll be the old Granny with the space age design kitchen. Ever since we moved into our current house, I've been moving towards more modern items. The house isn't paricularly modern but it does have a LOT of windows, so modern/sleek things seem more appropriate (I'll blame it out the house and not my fear of getting old :)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

wizardnm - that finish on your cabinets is fabulous.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sure there are some more of you out there. Completed or not, please keep this thread going with your pics...it's so hard to find pics with modern design elements.

• sochi
    13 years ago

Another bump up!

I'm not sure if my old kitchen was modern or contemporary, but it probably fits okay here:

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Here is a relatively low budget kitchen that I did that I consider soft contemporary. Its pretty basic and Roc once said trying to categorize this kitchen with mine was like lumping together a softball and a pomegranate because they are both round...or something like that :) Anyway, approachable vernacular contemporary:

Why? edge pulls on lowers, slab doors, monolithic counters and flooring (they match), edge pulls on lower, globe light. No "detailing".

• MrsStormy
    13 years ago

These are gorgeous!!! One day I will be able to post pics. I keep trying to get my kitchen design more modern but it comes across as contemporary/traditional.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Initially intending to use my existing white cabinets, I have fallen in love with some modern ones. I initially came across some at a VERY expensive store, but found a cheaper version on IKEA. We were initially remodeling the kitchen for an open layout but now I'm excited about the transformation to the modern look.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Aloha - which IKEA ones are you using? We are going with Applad but had been tempted by Abstrakt. We decided that the seam on the Abstrakt was a dealbreaker since they also cost more. If they had been the same price, it would have a been a tough decision, lol.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo. We haven't even investigated that much, but know that IKEA has something we like, that reasonable. I googled the Applad and found $7 - what a shock...how can they sell it for so cheap (or how can the others sell if for so much). At these prices, we're now considering that we will do both uppers and bases. That way when/if I get tired of them, we can just get new faces and it will fit. I would have liked to keep my bases but they just don't fit with IKEA. I would have had to get a new sink base anyway, plus we were going to get a trash pull-out. Needing only 8 more cabinets, it's why not just get it all to match?

We've never been hard on our cabinets (even having raised 4 kids), so I'm sure the quality is enough for us. They are opening a location near us soon, and I can hardly wait!!!

• jamis1021
    13 years ago

A few pictures of our modern kitchen as a contribution to this thread. Sorry to those who have seen these already:

• karen_belle
    13 years ago

and a few pics of my MCM kitchen. We have a 1956 ranch, and we went from a top-of-the-line-but-down-on-its-luck All Electric Kitchen c. 1956 to this:

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jamis, thanks sooo much for reposting your pics as I have never seen them before. I was astonished!!! I don't usually like dark cabinets, but you really put it all together and made your kitchen into a piece of art. Looks not only wonderful but that it would function well. Pure genius!

Karen Belle, I love the aqua color in your tile you have. It really makes the room sing!

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump

• AustinR
    13 years ago

These kitchens look great! Thanks Jamis,ochi, rockybird, etc. for sharing pics.
    Below are some pictures of our all-white kitchen. It's small, but just the right size. We used white matte laminate cabinets and white corian countertops. Our photos weren't great, so we hire a pro.

For you modern kitchen lovers, you might be interested to know that a new technical kitchen (i.e. Bulthaup) is being developed by a consortium I'm part of, right here in the U.S! It's not quite ready for the public, but we are really close! See "my page" on GardenWeb if you are curious.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just seeing if there are any more modern kitchens lurking out there, waiting for the unveiling.