Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molsonbc

RTA Cabinets

molsonbc
16 years ago

I was just reading a magazine and found out there are a lot more Ready-to-assemble cabinet makers out there besides IKEA. I found one (RTAcabi.net) that seems to have great prices and a really good selection of sizes. Does anyone have any experience with any of these online vendors for RTA cabinets? Since I don't have an IKEA anywhere near me in KC, that's out of the question, and I really like the idea of saving some money compared to what I was quoted at Home Depot.

Comments (7)

• Yvonne B
    16 years ago

Scherrs does RTA cabinets - and I think they're pretty close to you. They have a great website, too.

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

I got the cabinets for my mostly done, mostly-DIY kitchen from Scherr's and really couldn't be more happy with the quality of the cabinets, and more importantly with the quality of the service from Scherr's.

• mollyred
    16 years ago

Scherrs is great! Even DH, who is quite picky about building and engineering matters, raves about them. For what it would have cost to get fairly basic models of Thomasville or Diamond, without pullouts, self-closing hardware or any non-standard sizing, we got beautiful, well-made cabinetry with all the bells and whistles from Scherrs.

It did take us 3 days to put together our cabinets, but we did a very big kitchen! Also at least half a day of that was due to me, because I'd forgotton Leon's directions as to where to find the assembly instructions, and DH wouldn't lift a screwdriver until he had figured out every detail of the mechanics.

The Scherrs folks are some of the nicest and most responsible people you'll meet in the remodelling industry. So Whynot Minot?

• clg7067
    16 years ago

I bought a bunch of Scherrs to add to my kitchen. I plan going with Scherrs again when I redo the rest of it. It's amazing how sturdy these are. I've heard people say that frameless cabinets rack and go out of square easily, but these are sturdy. :) Plus they were fast and easy to assemble. I did feel they were expensive, so because of the cost, I'm going to put IKEA in my basement and laundry room.

• live_wire_oak
    16 years ago

If you're comparing HD's line of RTA cabinets (Mills Pride) with Scherrs, you've got a couple of shocks coming. MP isn't an expensive cabinet line at all, so if you're in sticker shock over it, you'd better see the doctor for a few more heart pills, because there is no where but up from there. ;~) THe good news is that although Scherrs RTA will easily be double the MP number, it's more than double in quality. If you're comparing another of HD's cabinet lines to Scherrs, like Thomasville, you're more in the ballpark of quality, but you really do have to factor in the hassle of assembly to it. It takes some time, and you have to have the space to lay everything out. (Not that you wouldn't have to have the space for a traditional delivery of already assembled cabinets, but you wouldn't need any additional maneuvering room to get the boxes assembled.)

• mls99
    16 years ago

IKEA does deliver: you can order through their IKEA Direct phone number. If you're interested head over to ikeafans.com (which is unaffiliated with IKEA) where you'll find several people who can answer questions about the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEAfans

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

A guy named Jason who used to post on the Remodeling forum a lot was a contractor who really liked CabParts.com.

They make RTA frameless cabinets (and sell a very limited selection of doors; but their intent is for you to buy the doors elsewhere) in standard sizes AND CUSTOM sizes. However, they only sell to construction professionals, so you'd need to find someone to order them for you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH