Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

KAW! Chicken and dumplings in the crock pot!

williamsem
10 years ago

Ok, I was a little eager to try it and almost didnt get pics. So they are a little fuzzy.

BUT, it came out fantastic AND I didn't use canned Cream of Anything, so I wanted to share. Our new work schedule has one of us closing the store 3-4 nights a week, so we have decided to aim for one crock pot dinner a week. We were averaging once a month or less, so this will be an interesting experiment as neither of us has much experience with these.

Anyway, gratuitous kitchen shot illustrating how well the hood deals with the escaping steam...

And the yummy results...

I merged a few recipes I found online, and added the carrots and celery, and this is what I ended up with:

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (these are what most of us call "breasts", though technically each whole piece is half a full breast)
1 onion, minced
3-6 carrots depending on size and your preference, cut in quarters, depending on size
3 celery stalks, or to taste, cut in thirds, then halved
8 tbsp butter, divided (6+2)
2 tbsp flour
1+2/3 cup milk, divided (1+2/3)
1 can chicken or vegetable broth
2+1/4 cup Bisquick
Salt and pepper

Melt 6 tbsp butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour until smooth, then add 1 cup milk and 1 cup broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat to bubbling while stirring, until thickened. This replaces 2 cans Cream of Whatever.

Spread some onions, celery, and carrots on bottom of crock. Add chicken in a single layer. Add remaining vegetables. Pour thickened sauce on top, add 2 tbsp butter. Add remaining broth and enough water to cover. Cook on high at least 6 hours. I did almost 9 total because I'm too lazy to change the settings and it was fine.

During last 40 minutes or so, add dumplings. Mix Bisquick and 2/3 cup milk (or as directed on box if using another brand). Stir chicken/veggies. Drop biscuit mix on top, about 8 dumplings spaced evenly. Poke each one under surface to "dip" in the broth. Cover and cook on high until biscuits are done, about 30-40 minutes.

------------------------
We use unsalted butter, and I did not add any salt outside what was in our canned veggie broth. It wasn't overly bland, but I do think next time I'd add some salt or buy salted butter to try. I did add quite a bit of fresh ground pepper to the sauce though, we love fresh pepper!

Comments (26)

• dutty
    10 years ago

Ha... I don't see any steam in that pic so it must be doing a good job! And, boy do I wish I was slamming that dish down my gullet right about now! Looks delish!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Yum! Love crock pot recipes. Coming home to dinner all ready - nothing like it. Let's keep this thread going!

• smiling
    10 years ago

Looks so good! I grew up with lots of good chicken and dumplings, and I surely miss them. I'm about mid-reno now and you've inspired me to plan on making some as soon as I can.

I think beef stew is such a natural winner in the crockpot. You can prepare everything in the crock the night before, then just take it out of the fridge and put into cooker-shell when you leave in the morning. SO easy!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

That looks yummy! I have to try that one, and soon!

• User
    10 years ago

Bring 'em on. I was doing crock pot 4 or 5 days a week and then this past month none at all. It's so easy and everything tastes so good! I'll be doing the chicken tomorrow.

• rockybird
    10 years ago

Looks delicious! My mom gave me a crockpot for xmas. I need to get it out and use it. I work late almost every night and dont cook. Where is a good place to get recipes?

This post was edited by rockybird on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 0:58

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I just did meatloaf in a crockpot tonight! Was a good experiment. Came out very moist and everyone liked it thankfully, because I had to be gone all day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meatloaf Recipe

• peony4
    10 years ago

Rockybird, there are specific crockpot cookbooks, but you can also find recipes just by searching the Internet. The term "slow cooker" applies to crockpot cooking. Many recipes are rather simple, and with a morning assembly, the cooking will be done by the time you arrive home from work.

Williamsem, what a lovely comfort food this time of year... thank you for sharing!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

That looks wonderful! Thanks for posting, I can always use another yummy crock pot recipe. I will be making this next week!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Yum Yum!!! I've never made a crock pot meal. I may have to try. That looks delish. Thanks for sharing.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Love the gratuitous kitchen shot! Are you loving your mother of pearl as much as I love mine? I hope so. Would love a close up.

Btw, the food looks yummy too. ;)

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaha, just seeing this pic again makes me look forward to leftovers tomorrow!

I think next week we'll stick to our tried and true beef stew, which we eat over noodles. If I'm not too busy stuffing my face to remember, I'll post pics and a recipe for that too.

If anyone tries this recipe and has any feedback or suggestions, please post! I'm new to crock potting, so I don't have a feel for the recipes yet.

Sanjuangirl, I'm loving my MOP too! Your kitchen was one of the lovely installs that convinced me MOP was a good choice. But it is getting replaced to fix the pattern. The new MOP is already on it's way. I'm hoping to get it fixed relatively soon, the anxiety about tearing out the new wall, replacing it, and retiling (with a new tile team) all without hurting the counter and cabinets is not pleasant.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Sounds really good. Thanks for sharing both the KAW and the recipe! It seems like one for me to try once we get our kitchen back.

And the MOP tile...just glistens and looks so pretty. I know that it needs to be redone, but it's lovely.

I've been using our crockpot a little bit while we haven't had the kitchen...just made a pulled beef barbeque (chipotle, maple syrup, and pineapple were some of the ingredients). No KAW pictures for that because, believe me, no one wants to see what my makeshift "kitchen" looks like right now. If anyone is interested in the recipe, I'll share the best that I can, but I tend to use cooking recipes as "starting points" and improvise as I go along.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I love making baked potatoes in my crock pot. I put a couple of large brown potatoes in and leave them in all day on low for 8 hours or high for about 5 hours and they are tender. They stay warm in the crock pot too while the steaks are on the barbie.

I make pot roast and other cuts of roasts in my CP and put the potatoes and carrots and onion in after about three hours if I'm doing am 8 hour roast. I do a rub of olive oil and A-1 sauce and some beef broth and leave in for about 8 hours. The longer the better but not so long as to over cook it. I often make beef stew in it and have made macaroni and cheese, soup, especially bean soup. I can soak the beans all night in the pot then drain in the morning and rinse them and the pot, add water and ham and bone in for hours. Delicious! Lentils are good too in the CP. I love having a ready meal and a good one at that since it has been slow cooked. I like my old manual type of crock pot with the knob type of on off and temperature settings. That way if the power goes off it just comes back on by itself. I have a digital one and it's all fancy but if it goes off it doesn't come back on again unless you set it again. It scares me to use if I am not going to be home since if the power went off the meal would be ruined. Our power often clicks off but comes right back on but it's enough to trip the CP off. If they could come up with a way to keep it on during a power outage that would be a good thing. Sometimes low tech is the way to go!!!

• User
    10 years ago

macaroni and cheese in the CP recipe, please!

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Mmmmm. That looks so yummy! I plan on making it this weekend! No time to cook with kids sports keeping us running.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Williamsen
    So good to see a KAW picture in that awesome new kitchen with that fabulous MOP backsplash!
    I haven't used my CP since our reno but when I am grounded I will have to try that for DH!
    Thanks for sharing.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Oh, that looks delicious! I'm a sucker for that dish -- but prefer dark meat like thighs in it A little more moist.

I'm also sucker for Bisquick dumplings.
    OMG, so delicious. Sometime, try making a beef stew and Bisquick dumplings, but put some fresh dill in them. Oh, heaven on earth!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

williamsem-just popped it in the crock this morning! Can't wait to give it a taste. I'll let you know how it goes. This is a new one for us but what's not to like!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Oh your kitchen is so pretty! How did the dumplings turn out in the crock? Were they fluffier or denser? I love to make C&D but never tried it in the crock pot.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Oh Williamsun, so sorry about you're having to re-do some of your gorgeous bs! I'd be nervous too.

On the bright side, the mop is so thin and delicate it should come off easily without damaging the cabinets or counters. I'd just ensure that both were well covered and I'd make sure I was right there when they take the old ones down.

I missed your post about the mistake. What happened?

Glad you're enjoying cooking in your lovely kitchen, I love mine so much I occasionally have to pinch myself to remind me that it's finished and mine!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

williamsem-how thick was the broth mixture supposed to get in step one? Mine is quite thin and brothy. Does it matter that I didn't use whole milk? Just wondering for next time...

I think it will still taste great, waiting for the dumplings to finish up before we dig in.

• new-beginning
    10 years ago

for gr8day - would a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) hold up to keeping the crock pot on for the few seconds the power clicks off?

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deedles, I didn't think they were either, the fluffed up nicely, but were still substantial, and not like lead sinkers!

SJG, rather then interlocking the sheets by a slight vertical offset, they were installed in a straight line with loose tiles to fill in the gaps. So instead of a seamless pattern I have a striped one. There are pics posted if you want to see.

Autumn4, mine ended up kind of like gravy. I just kept stirring, and eventually decided it wasn't getting any thicker. I did use whole milk though. I figured since I took a pass on the canned soup I'd throw caution to the wind and live a little! I'm curious to hear how yours came out! We just finished the leftovers and it heated up very well. I wish my stomach was a little bigger, my mouth wants more.

• Linda
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing! Looks yummy and I will definitely have to try it. BTW, I do love your MOP backsplash. Did you see my posting about grout color? What color did you use?

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

williamsem-I think I spoke too soon. Once I added the dumplings (which the kids loved watching expand before their eyes) it did thicken some. I bet the whole milk makes a difference. It was still very good...having leftovers today. :) I added some herbs de provence and s&p. I think mine were pretty fluffy also. Yum.

After a while I feel like I get in a rut making the same old things week after week. Thanks for sharing!