Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Is it too weird to have dishwasher be to left of sink?

theresse
14 years ago

We're getting our first dishwasher put into this old house (finally! My hands are so wrinkled!) but the only place that won't block a door if the dishwasher were open would be to the left of the sink. I can't remember a time i've been in anyone's house in which the dishwasher were on the left side. Is it just me or is the right side where it's *supposed* to go? Is it cause most people are right-handed?

I happen to be left-handed AND it's a better location for the room if it's on the left, but I don't want to make it awkward for everyone else - including should we ever have to sell the house.

Am I overthinking things?

Comments (37)

• weed30 St. Louis
    14 years ago

The two homes I've owned had the DW to the left of the sink. In fact when I remodeled, the DW stayed in the same (left) position. I never gave it a second thought, and it never seemed awkward.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hooray! Wow - I wonder why I can only think of DW's being on the right side! Well anyway thank you. :)

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Ours has always been on the left also. I'm right handed, I open the door with my left and had start filling the DW with my right, which seems safer than holding glass items with my left. :-) So it makes more sense for me than if it were on the right of the sink.

Jodi-

• lyno
    14 years ago

I'm right handed but my DW has been on the left for 30+ years and it has never bothered me a bit.

• mybrowneyedgirls
    14 years ago

In my first house, DW was on the right. In my current house, it is on the left. I never actually even thought about it before. Now after doing dishes in this house for 8 yrs I think it would feel weird if it wasn't on the left :) So I guess I'm saying it really makes no difference, and I doubt prospective buyers will even think about it.

• timberframe4us
    14 years ago

I thought left was standard. I was concerned because the most logical place in my kitchen is on the *right*. So, has it ever seemed awkward to have the DW on the *right*?

• smiling
    14 years ago

Mine is left, so is my neighbor's. I think it will be just fine to go with the layout you prefer, especially if that's what works best in the room.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

My DW is also on the left as that was the only place it would work all those years ago when I got it. I'm right handed and it's never been an issue.
    Most of the items from the DW go into the upper cabs above and slightly to the left of the DW and into the lower cabs on the left side of the DW so it all works out great!!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I have one on the right and one on the left...and I don't think either is better or worse to load. What's more important is how it works in your layout... the proximity to dish storage and whether the open door will interfere with any other doors or kitchen activities.

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

I absolutely agree with RHome410. Ease of loading and unloading (distance to eating area & storage) are much more important than which side of the sink the DW is at. You also want the trash nearby for scraping.

• neesie
    14 years ago

Mine is placed on the left, also, and I never gave it a thought. Happy coincidence that I am left handed but I am not the one that designed my kitchen. Now that I think of it my brother's is on the left also. What's so weird?

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Every place I've ever lived with a DW, it's been on the left. In the last house we built and in this new one, I store tableware in a drawer exactly opposite the DW -- very convenient for me. I agree -- where your storage is will be more important than left or right side.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I've had both. This house, old and new kitchen, it's on the left. I'm very right handed but it doesn't bother me either way.

For me the problem was in the old kitchen when the DW was a hike from the sink. And in the one before that when the DW was in a corner (not angled, just six inches from the angle of the peninsula). Hated both of those locations. :)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I would think it's a matter of habit rather than right or wrong. And since you've not had one, just learning to load it will be your new habit development, not changing from left to right. We've always had it on the right side, but in our reno we're switching it. It will take some getting used to, retraining the brain and hands, but we will get used to it.

• anrol
    14 years ago

Mine is to the left side, as well and I am right handed.

• paula0564
    14 years ago

My dishwasher (my first) will be left of the sink as well. It's the only place it can actually go LOL!

• starfish24
    14 years ago

I'm right-handed, and because of how I wash dishes, I find it easier to load the DW on the left (dirty dish in left hand, scrape off with right, load to the left). Only major thing that used to bug me when we just had DW on right was that I had to close it in order to reach the disposal switch -- hated that. Air switches are the best!

• sameboat
    14 years ago

We installed ours to the left of the sink in our last home. I found it to be very comfortable. I never really thought about whether it was to the left or right until you asked.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Prior to this kitchen, I've had a fairly even mix of right and left placed DWs and never found one better than the other -- except, my preference, all other things being equal, would be to have the DW on the side that allowed the easiest flow of dishes from the table to the sink and then the DW with dish storage next to or above it. I currently have one on either side, and like rhome, I don't find one easier or more difficult. It has to be where it makes sense -- and it sounds like yours is on the left.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Color me/my kitchen weird then! LOL Ours is to the left of the sink. We've had it on either side of the sink (on the right in old kitchen here, and on the left in our condo before moving here). Either way was fine. Neither one seemed to be a better location than the other.

• lizziebethtx
    14 years ago

I'll just echo. My DW is on the left and I'm right-handed....NO problem. In fact, I never gave it a thought until I read this thread. ha.

• squigs
    14 years ago

I'll add to the list of left-sided DW's. Not an issue in the slightest!

• doggonegardener
    14 years ago

Mine's on the left. Staying there when we remodel. Easy Peasy.

• cj47
    14 years ago

Wow, a built in dishwasher!
    :-)

That's one of the things I'm looking forward to in my new kitchen...seriously. And I'll put it wherever it makes sense, left, right, whatever--as long as I don't have to push it there myself before running it!

Enjoy it.
    Cj

• beejay27
    14 years ago

Mine is on the left and I'm right-handed. I like it that way. It has to be on the right in our renovated kitchen and I'm worried about that being strange and awkward. Hoping we'll get used to it.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I wish mine were to the left. Despite being right handed
    my family is full of lefties and this might inspire some
    lazy teens to be more helpful. : )

~boxerpups

• ice1
    14 years ago

In all my 3 houses that I have owned they have been on the left and the reason
    is Im a leftie . Could not have it any other way

• kermit4777
    14 years ago

Another vote for right handed person with a dw on the left. It's been left for years in this house and was like this in one of my apartments too.

When we renovate in the next month or two, it's moving to the right - but only because it "fits" better there in our new layout.

• lindiver
    14 years ago

Mine is on the left and in my new, still under construction kitchen, the dishwasher will be on the left. I, too, never thought anything strange about the placement, as that's where they fit in both places. The designers at the kitchen places thought it was odd, but the placement works for me. I'm right handed and it's never been a problem.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

My old house had it on the left, worked out fine, but my kitchen was the size of a postage stamp and I had the microwave on the counter above it and unloading the dishwasher was a pain. In my new house my dw is on the right, but lots of clear counter space above it. I agree, don't think it matters which side of the sink it is on, but having open counter space above it is important.

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

Mine is to the LEFT of the sink and I am a RIGHTY. No issue. My garbage disposal is on the side of the sink closest to the DW.

• mitri89
    14 years ago

Our dishwashers have usually been on the left. We did have one house that had it on the right, but I don't remember it seeming any more or less convenient. We're all right handed and having one on the left is no trouble at all.

• brickmanhouse
    14 years ago

I don't think it matters in the least, and you get used to it whatever side it's on.

I've had dishwashers on the right and the left of the sink, and I've gotten used to it no matter what side.

Right now we have two dishwashers, one on either side of the sink, and neither one's easier or more awkward to load or use.

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

Mine is L, neighbor's is R.

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

Another vote for DW on the left and I'm right handed. I can't recall ever having a DW anywhere I've lived that was on the right, actually.

No issues at all.

• dcwesley
    14 years ago

This is so funny - Ours has always been on the left (I am right handed too), and I am QUITE worried that I have switched it to the right. I am SURE loading it will feel QUITE backwards.

• rmlanza
    14 years ago

Pre-remodel, ours was on the right. Now it's on the left. I've had it both ways in the many houses we've lived in. It may take a few days to get used to a change, but I adjusted quickly and it doesn't seem to matter one bit. I think it also depends on your sink setup if you have a double sink (which side do you rinse or set dirty dishes in?). I have a large single basin.