Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_girl_named_max

Desperately need advice for sink and faucet

a.girl.named.max
13 years ago

Please help. I'm totally frazzled. I'm in the middle of a total home rehab on a tiny budget. My current GC is MIA. Thankfully I didn't sign contract for the kitchen with current GC. I need to get bids from other GCs for budget kitchen remodel before I lose my funding. I start voc rehab tomorrow so I don't have time to research or shop. Please tell me what brands/models to write into the scope of work for the kitchen sink and faucet.

Kitchen Sink: Brand/model for double bowl, 18 gauge, stainless steel, self rimming, kitchen sink definitely under $300. Less money would be better.

Kitchen Faucet: Brand/model for a single handle,brushed finish. If affordable I would like a high arc, a soap dispenser, no side spray, but not sure about pull down/pull out spray. I'd be grateful for any info.

Sorry if I sound desperate but ... well I am. All work needs to be done by mid February.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Comments (15)

• elz_kitchen
    13 years ago

Check out FaucetDirect.com, they have good prices and a good selection. Also, if you're in the Northeast, Green Demolitions usually has new stainless steel sinks for about $100. I don't know if they ship.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Demolitions

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Here's a link to a Ticor double bowl self rimming sink for $165.94. You might want to check out Overstock for faucets as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor double bowl sink

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

MR Direct has the cheapest sinks I've seen, and they're mostly 16 gauge, even better than the 18 gauge you mentioned. You didn't say what size sink you are looking for. There's quite a variety available. If you need a smaller size sink, you may want to consider a single-bowl instead of a double bowl so that you have room in the sink to lay down roasting pans, cookie sheets, etc.

Kraus had very well-priced faucets. We have a Kraus faucet, it's been in for several months, and we are thrilled with the appearance and the quality. Kraus faucets are sold at expressdecor.com and overstock.com.

Definitely check out overstock.com for no-name sinks that are 16-gauge and great quality. They also have additional daily specials and clearance specials all the time.

MR Direct Sinks

Kraus Faucets at Express Decor

overstock website

• davidro1
    13 years ago

At a low price in a HW store, the faucets are all made in China. Get any old faucet with a pulldown spray. Far in the future you can upgrade. Even in the cheapest hardware store you will find faucets with a brushed finish, at a low price. Moen, Delta and Price Pfister will have long guarantees (that they honor) and will probably remain US companies for another few years or longer. Some of the house brands have no guarantees at all, although it can be hard to figure that out when you read the fine print.

I would go for something that costs more, because I have more time and more exacting criteria. If you have the budget and no time for anything, go with Grohe or KWC. They are probably only available from plumbing fixture stores, not in "general everything" stores.

Some Kohler models have a spray with a pause button. Simplice is one. It comes in a single-hole version. In the second hole you can put any old soap dispenser. Or, call Hansgrohe to get a recommendation for a faucet; they have some in the same price range as the Simplice, and some that compete against Grohe.

Hth

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

To the OP - when reading Davidro's post, note that his recommendations for Grohe, Hansgrohe and KWC won't help you, given the budget you mentioned. Grohe and Hansgrohe start at about $300 for a brushed finish faucet, and go up from there. KWC's bottom-of-the-line is about $400, and most KWC's are $600+. Kohler may be less expensive than those names, but Kohler's lower-priced faucets are also made in China. I actually don't think there's anything wrong with a faucet made in China - more importantly is for the faucet not to have plastic parts, or a minimum of plastic parts. I have a problem though with Kohler faucets made in China, for which you nevertheless have to pay up for the Kohler name.

Delta, Price Pfister and Moen are lower-priced, but the quality is hit-or-miss depending on the faucet and how much plastic parts it has. You'll get more bang for the buck from the lesser known names, like the Kraus I mentioned in my post above. I am trying to save you some time since you said you don't have much time, so don't spend it looking for Grohe, Hansgrohe or KWC faucets given your budget constraints.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Check out IKEA. They have some really nice sinks and faucets and won't break the bank.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Have you visited Overstock?

They have a sink for $87. but it is 22gauge not 18.
    And they have other SS self rimming double bowl sinks
    that you may love.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Double-Bowl-Self-rimming-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Sink/3845475/product.html

I have a Price Pfister Faucet. It has been fantastic. Not
    too pricey and Yes probably made in China. I replaced the
    PP with a previos PP that was 12 years old. Never had
    issues with the old PP just needed a SS not a white 80s
    looking faucet. I am sure there are better faucets out
    there but I had a budget to keep. While shopping I found
    plumbing supply stores, HD, Lowes... all seemed the same
    quality per price. And after reading a few horror stories
    of over priced faucets that break down, I chose the PP.
    Simple. No regrets with my PP. While I wish it were not as
    modern looking I do love how it functions.

My sink is Oliveri. I love their sinks but this is an
    undermount. As mentioned before check out Overstock.

Now Deep breaths and tonight have a little glass of wine
    to get you relaxed for tackling your reno. And may that
    MIA GC eat some terrible Chinese food and get a belly-ache.
    Ooohhhh sorry I can be mean to GCs who hurt GWebbers.
    ~boxer

Old GW links on faucet choices....

Reliable kitchen faucet brand must I go broke?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0112482831466.html

Which Kitchen Faucet did you pick?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg051226091229.html

Why are kitchen faucets so expensive?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg061613427699.html

Are all faucets made in China ...excpet Grohe?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0615540228408.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen faucet recommendations, please!

• rnest44
    13 years ago

Ticor from Galaxy Tool and Supply or a sink from MR Direct meet your price requirements.
    Check the Delta Allora, Leland, or Linden faucets for more reasonably priced arch faucets. Some are packaged with the soap dispenser. The brushed finish drives up the price.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

In the threads that boxerpups posted, I saw this:
    Posted by annkathryn on Tue, May 25, 2010 ---- Hansgrohe Metro, $179 from Costco. ----
    It was in this thread http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg051226091229.html

This faucet is the one I was trying to think of last night. Its spray is easy to grab with one or two fingers. Its handle is easy to move. (There is a $1000 variation of it made by Axor Citterio.)

Yes, forget about Grohe and KWC, if you have $300 or less.

BTW, some plastic parts ARE good.
    Don't generalize to the point where you start feeling the weight of the box.
    All-brass is not the only way to go.

With your budget, you can stay away from the no-name brands, which most often do have lightweight boxes. I mean the box when filled with the product inside.

Hth

• friedajune
    13 years ago

No one on this thread has addressed the OP's statement: "please tell me what brands brands/models to write into the scope of work for the kitchen sink and faucet". It sounds like one reason you are frazzled about the sink/faucet choice is that you feel you have to put it in the scope of work. You do not have to stipulate these two items cause you should buy them yourself. Just stipulate in the scope of work that you will be supplying them, not the contractor. You will get a better price, and don't pay attention to the contractor saying he'll get you a "contractor discount". Really, you will find better deals yourself. If you buy a single-hole faucet, you don't even have to have it on site right away, since the size of the single-hole is standard for all faucets. You should specify the size of the sink and that YOU will be supplying it, and that it's self-rimming. But you don't need to give the contractor brand and model number info in your scope of work.

Regarding the faucet, you will pay more for the brushed finish over a polished chrome finish. So if you are trying to find ways to save money, choose the polished finish instead. If your heart is set on a brushed finish, I think you should check out Costco. Not only do they have name brands and no-name brands (and I agree that no-name brands often are great bargains and should not be dismissed), but you have the amazing Costco return policy, which is basically they will refund your money regardless (except for electronics). I also would get a faucet with the integrated spray - I couldn't live without mine. I just gave a quick glance at the Costco website and they have brushed finished faucets for $99, $169.

Regarding the sink - yes to the suggestions already given to buy your sink online at mrdirect, galaxytoolsupply, expressdecor or overstock. Just be sure of the dimensions you want, and I would look for 16 gauge, since all those sites have the sinks @ 16 gauge. I am a single-bowl girl myself, so I am biased toward a single bowl sink.

• a.girl.named.max
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for helping me sort this out. My funding source requires a brand and model number in the GCs estimate/contract. My contract will state that the GC will be furnishing labor and material.

I think I have decided on a Kohler Staccato double-basin self-rimming kitchen sink- K-3369-1. I suppose the number of holes depends on the faucet I choose. HD carries this sink in stock for $229. I haven't decided on a faucet yet but I think Davidro1's suggestion is a good one. Get a cheaper faucet now and I can upgrade in the future. I will check out the links you kind people have suggested.

In the meantime the GC that was MIA showed up yesterday morning and started tearing off the siding and installing the house wrap. I've contracted with this GC to replace some exterior doors, replace the siding, soffit, fascia, trim, majority of bath remodel, and some ceilings. I'll see if he stays on the job and keeps me updated. He wants to bid kitchen. I had a frank discussion with him and I do believe the problem is with his wife/partner. It would be easier just to add the kitchen to our existing contract but my gut says don't do it. Go with a different GC. I'll see how the estimates from the other GCs come in.

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Max - that Kohler sink would be a poor choice for the following reasons:
    - it's expensive. $272 is a rip off for an 18 gauge sink, especially with no included accessories.
    - the 50-50 configuration, and the odd shape of the bowls mean you won't be able to fit anything in either bowl. All the curve does is take away useful sink area.

Since that Kohler sink is 33", here are a few Ticor sinks in that size that are a more efficient use of bowl space. They come with the accessories and are cheaper than the Kohler. There are MANY people on this forum who have the Ticor sinks and love them. Shipping is very quick.

Ticor 50-50 sink S998 with accessories = $220 (free shipping, not tax)

Ticor 60-40 sink S995 with accessories = $180 (free shipping, no tax)

Ticor 70-30 sink S997 with accessories = $220

Regarding the faucet, I think it's a bad idea to buy two faucets - one now, and one later. Why on earth do you want to spend twice? Who will install the second one - if not DIY, you'll have to pay someone. I am surprised that out of all the advice given on this thread, the advice to spend twice, plus install twice, is the advice you liked (from the guy who recommended the $600+ KWC faucets).

I'll link a faucet that fulfills everything you mentioned on your checklist:
    - brushed finish
    - high arc style
    - has matching soap dispenser
    - single hole, single handle
    - integrated sprayer
    - good quality (I have a Kraus faucet and can vouch for its quality)
    - price is $119 for the faucet, $20 for the soap dispenser, less 5% the website is offering = $132 total, free shipping, no tax.

Kraus 16622-SN

Again, why would you spend on a faucet twice, and have to install twice? What will you do with the 1st faucet?

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Regarding your comment about your contract - I understand that your funding source requires a brand and model number in the GCs estimate/contract. I do not understand why your contract will state that the GC will be furnishing all materials. That means you will be paying more for the sink and faucet than if you bought them yourself, because you will be paying the GC to buy them for you, and he will charge a "middleman" markup. You will be able to buy cheaper, and all it takes is a click of your mouse.

You didn't mention appliances, but again, you will be able to buy them cheaper yourself than paying the GC to do it. Plus you will get the exact appliances you want, while the GC typically buys what is easily available for him, often overstocks and discontinued models. If you go to Sears or Lowe's, there are always sales, and they are always willing to come down a bit in price from their advertised price.

I know you need to specify in your contract the brand and model number. But as to purchasing them, it's a free country - I don't understand why your contractor is required to buy all materials. I would carve out of the contract the sink and faucet purchase amount and buy those yourself. I would also consider buying your own appliances and carving them out of the "materials" portion of the contract too. Your GC may object - he won't be getting his bonus markup on that stuff, too bad for him.

• a.girl.named.max
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I LOVE you guys! Seriously.

Okay, okay, okay, I will take a second look at Ticor and hopefully the GC and his plumber will work with me.

I'll also take a second look at squeezing the home rehab budget to fit in a better faucet. (I don't know how, but I will try.)

The GC has to buy the materials because I have limited cash. A short version of a long story ... last March I became disabled as a result of a brain tumor. So my income went down 75%. Over half my current income goes to doctors and meds. I decided to move into this house and rehab it so I could reduce my housing costs.

With a remodeling budget of less than $35,000 I have managed to get a new roof, new vinyl siding, new aluminum soffit, fascia, and trim, a new sliding glass door, 2 new entry doors, 2 new storm doors, a new 95% efficient Carrier furnace, new water heater, new Carrier A/C, a remodeled bath, a remodeled kitchen (keeping my fingers crossed for custom cabinets), some upgraded electrical work, extensive ceiling repairs/retexturing, and new attic insulation. My cash resources are going for paint and floor coverings. Most of the materials are mid grade or better but the remaining budget balance is getting pretty low. The house is between 1,800 to 1,900 finished square feet. I've been working on this project since last August. All in all I think I've managed to really stretch my resources.

I couldn't have done all of this without advice from the great people on the GW forums. Thank you!!

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

I'll also take a second look at squeezing the home rehab budget to fit in a better faucet. (I don't know how, but I will try.)

You shouldn't spend more money than you are able. I had thought the faucet #16622-SN I linked above was a great price at $132 including the soap dispenser, no tax, free shipping. Are you looking to spend less than that on a faucet and soap dispenser? What had you planned to spend on the faucet?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio