Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josie724

Because I couldn't refuse a request from Trailrunner

josie724
15 years ago

Here's my first attempt at making No Knead Bread in my Wolf Oven (shameless attempt to stay within forum guidelines by mentioning appliance LOL)

Dry Ingredients go in....

Add the water...

Mix together cover with plastic wrap and let stand...

After 18 hours.....

Take out of bowl and dust with flour and fold once, then again perpendicular to first fold. Let stand covered with plastic for 15 minutes...

Place seam side down on cornmeal dusted tea cloth and cover with cloth for 2 hours....

After 2 hours place in dutch oven seam side up cover and bake.

After about 45 minutes,30 with cover on 15 without......VIOLA...

Cut into and enjoy.....

The bread was very good, and really easy to make. We dipped it into some EVOO and grated some Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on top.....yum....

What I would do differently next time....

Bake at the suggested 450 I baked it at 500 and that was too high for my oven. It burned a bit on the bottom.

Get a round dutch oven, I used an oval one and that seemed to make the bread flatter than I would have liked.

Make two loafs because one loaf was gone in an hour.....LOL

Comments (11)

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Yum.

And pretty granite too!

Red

• User
    15 years ago

Oh you are doing so great !! WOW !!! You and Elyse are the "cat's pajama's". I suggested the 500 as that is what rococogurl did with her Miele when she made the recipe 2 weeks ago. She e-mailed me and got the recipe and that is what worked for her oven. We always do the 450 ...sorry. Nothing like the great teacher ...experience. I think it looks WONDERFUL !!! c

• User
    15 years ago

If you will not let it go the 18 hrs it will have a lot more spring in the oven. Also you can start it at 500 to get that initial spring and immediately turn it back to 450 as that keeps the oven from losing heat when you open it. The 18 hrs is really too long since it "eats" all the available sugar that is in the flour. Then there isn't as much oooommph. Try 12-14 instead. Good Luck !! c

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Red,

Thank you Trailrunner.....I'm still trying to figure out my oven, it's still a learning process. No worries, about the temp the bottom actually tasted like it was cooked in a wood burning oven. Plus it gives me an excuse to make more. I was more disappointed with the shape. I'll be going to Homegoods tomorrow and buying a round dutch oven. I'm also going to try to make it with calamata olives inside. I wonder if it will rise properly?

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

will do the 12-14 hour rising instead. I think that may also be why it was flat. So that means I can eat it 6 hours earlier....sounds good to me.....LOL

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Wow josie that looks YUMMM!! Next time you're making a loaf have us all over then it will be gone in 5 minutes :)

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Oh, I second the not letting it go too long either. If I get it much past 18 hours, it tends to be denser. I haven't tried waiting as little as 12 hours but anywhere around 15 has given me the best rise - consistently!

The bread looks great. Let us know how you like it with the kalamata - I haven't done that one yet. I've been making a rosemary and lemon zest one a la the No-knead Williams Sonoma adaptation and I've loved it. Today I tried garlic and rosemary and that one is a real keeper. Definitely want to do that again.

Congratulations! Great bread isn't it?

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes mindstorm it is great bread. Kinda reminds me of the bread we would get on the island of Malta where my parents are from. The rosemary and lemon zest sounds wonderful. I know the original receipe doesn't call for sugar, but I was thinking it could use a bit. But then I wondered how the yeast would react, would it proof too quickly? It's the kind of thing I guess you gotta play around with and find the right combination.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Trailrunner, do you have the recipe that you all are using? It sounds like there are several variations and I would like the one you recommnend. I think I feel a need coming on!

• User
    15 years ago

Hey Sue here is the basic Sullivan Street No knead bread. There is a video of it and lots of info if you Google it. One of the biggies was the salt. As I noted in my post on breads , there is a huge difference in salt. Kosher is a larger grain so it takes more than iodized salt. The original recipe has been changed back and forth by folks as to how they like their salt. Here it is the way we do it.

430 grams bread flour (about 3c)
    345 grams warm water (about 1 5/8) better more than less
    1/4 t instant ( if using reg you will need to dissolve in water 1st)
    1 1/2 t salt ( reg not kosher)
    Mix flour yeast and salt. Add water and stir till blended. Dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at 70 degrees for 12-18 hrs. We find that 15 or so makes a better bread.
    Lightly flour a work surface and do a "french fold" 2 x. Cover with plastic and leave 15 min. Using just enough flour to keep from sticking shape into a ball and place seam side up in a basket lined with a floured linen towel....not terry cloth . Let rise 2 hrs till double.
    preheat oven and baking pot ( Le Creuset) for 30 min at 450. Carefully remove pot from oven and place bread gently into pot seam side down. don't worry if it seems to deflate. Will rise up again as baking. Cover with lid and bake 30 min. Uncover and bake 15-30 min till internal instant thermo reads 205-210 no more .

and yes it will really change things if you add sugar. It will rise a lot faster . Also the crust will darken way more since it has more sugar to caramelize. Good Luck ! c

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Trailrunner that's what I thought about the sugar. I just felt it needed a bit. I tend to like a sweeter bread. I used the same receipe you did. Next time I'll do the 15 hours.