Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

cherry trim, walnut cabs: too mismatched?

Fori
9 years ago

Hi all. My new room (kitchen/breakfast/informal seating--fine. Call it a greatroom if you must--) has or will have cherry windows, casings, and baseboard trim, but not big moldings. No crown, and trim is only about 2.5" wide. (This trim was selected to be compatible with the trim in the rest of the house--not the same stuff but more obtainable.)

We planned on cherry cabinets but are now wondering if it would be possible to sneak in walnut instead. Too mismatched? They don't look great together but there really isn't all that much cherry. The cabinets will be next to a few interior doors with trim and of course some baseboard but no window in the kitchen area. There will be at least one piece of walnut furniture in the living area that has ambered with age to a nice orangey tone that is pleasant with all ages of cherry.

Neither wood would be stained, or possibly a very very light stain on the walnut.

Bad match? bad enough to stick with cherry?

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I look forward to any suggestions you get.

I have cherry, antiqued oak, painted white, and maple. I can't decide how to stain the maple bb countertop, given the plethora of woods I have!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Walnut, go for walnut! Can you do walnut trim too? Perhaps a cherry stain on the walnut?

This is from Houzz; white and walnut kitchen.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Our walnut cabinet, no stain.

{{gwi:2138268}}

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Sounds great. Nice to mix it up I think - all cherry would be too red. And please go natural walnut :)

• Fori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah you enablers! Especially Oldbat, showing off your lovely builtins! No stain and perfect.

So, it's a 1956 ranch house. Of course walnut is more appropriate. We're doing slab doors, so sort of a modernish feel I guess--the cabinet guy is disinclined to replicate the semi-inset plywood cabinets that belong here.

I do have assorted wood furniture and it doesn't offend me. It's just scarier when it's all nailed down. (Actually I just don't want to end up embarrassed with a stupid-looking kitchen. Seriously, that's my main concern at this point of the remodel.)

I guess if it looks bad I can paint the cherry, right? :)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

My house has natural cherry cabinets, the woodwork and doors throughout the house are golden oak. The floors are natural ash. Works for me! Much better than everything matching.
    Go for it.

• chesters_house_gw
    9 years ago

As I sit at a cherry desk with walnut pulls, I think it will look fine. Neither the pulls nor the desk is stained. The cutting board picture is also a good indication of what is in furniture a pretty standard blend.

Here is a link that might be useful: cutting board

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Walnut and red oak (thought it might be good to see a red undertone wood). FWIW we used to have cherry floors and all my brown woods looked pretty good with them, although I can't seem to find any photos!

{{gwi:2138269}}

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Philadelphia General Contractors Osborne Construction

Oh, found a moving-in day photo of our walnut bedroom furniture with the cherry floors--I think it looks good to be honest. I am so happy flatscreen tvs are a thing now.

{{gwi:2138270}}

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

No! No! Don't paint cherry wood. I think the mix would be fine.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I say mix it up! ... in my small kitchen, I have Knotty Pine cabinets, wall paneling, and ceiling. Red Oak floors, Mesquite bar countertops, and a section of Maple butcher block counter.
    You might look into a tea stain on the cherry if you want to tone it towards the walnut, which I agree do not stain :) chris

• Fori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I think I'll do it. No staining. We're doing a slate floor which goes fine with either. The backsplash/counter tile doesn't care either.

Just need to decide on solid or veneer. Matching the grain on veneered cabinets seems a little dressy for us but I'm sure our presence will knock down the formality pretty quickly...Solid walnut isn't exactly slouchy either though...maybe it's time to do a price check. If you can't decide, get what's cheaper. That's my motto!

Darn decision-making process.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

In addition to the look, the choice of solid vs veneer also depends on the spacing between fronts - if the spacing is

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Please match the grain! Your kitchen-to-be sounds really lovely.

Says the one with natural Doug fir trim, natural oak floor, can't decide between maple or walnut bookcases and thinking that maybe the desk should be something else so it won't be too matchy ;-)

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

I think cherry and walnut can play well together.

Here's one of our natural cherry doors with natural walnut knobs:

The floors are natural maple:

They were pretty new in this picture. The cabinets have darkened - it continues to look good together.
    BTW, the breakfast room is also connected to the kitchen and that has an oak table and chairs and an unidentified stained wood original to the house on the large folding doors and built in bookcase.

• mark_rachel
    9 years ago

We have walnut floors with cherry cabinets in our home. I like mixed woods. In my book, all woods match each other. If you try to have them all match you will drive yourself crazy.

• Fori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! You're right. They're all good.

I just thought those two woods in particular are sort of busy, but even if they are, the trim won't be large enough to demonstrate business. Busyness?

Oooh. Doug fir. Now THERE's an awesome cabinet material.....must...focus...

Thanks for all the photos and input.

:)

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

I'm glad you started this thread. In the house we're building, we've got white oak beams, hickory floors, white trim, and I'm really, really wanting a walnut island. But I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. You guy are making me think I can. :)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have all kinds of wood and think they look great together. Trees, people!!! Who says, aghh, who planted those walnut trees next to the cherry trees? And that big oak in the middle?!!!

• Anna Bales
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What kind of stain would you use when using a cherry frame on a walnut cabinet? Would you use those two wood types when building a cabinet? I also used cherry for the doors.

• Fori
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Clear coat. Let the natural color come with (not very much) age.