Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Kitchen Design for Dieting

I didn't post as often in the last year or so, therefore don't know if this article has made the rounds. It seems to have been written in earnest, but it had me cracking up, especially pics 7 & 8. Can you spot the 'no-no' in this kitchen?

{{gwi:2138246}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Can You Spot the 9 Kitchen Design Details That'll Make You Fat?

This post was edited by mama_goose on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 20:07

Comments (20)

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

That may be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

• deedles
    9 years ago

Ha. Sounds like having a kitchen in general makes you fat. Told DH the dining chairs gotta go. And the couch. And the food. Boom, problem solved.

• flwrs_n_co
    9 years ago

So no efficient work triangle or task areas; no pantry; the ugliest, harshest bright lighting you can find; no seating anywhere; and erect barbed wire fencing around the kitchen to keep everyone out. Sounds lovely! How in the world do people come up with this stuff????

• Fori
    9 years ago

Goodness. That's a bit silly.

I lost weight just looking at the "fattening" greatroom photo. Those stairs!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I wonder if that author ever considered the possibility of just not stocking the pantry with chips and creme filled cupcakes? How about if what you see in the fridge is fruit and veggies? I'm pretty sure that jars of rice, beans, and corn are not making anyone fat.

Here's the author's ideal non-fat kitchen:

*located at the furthest corner of your property; walking through rain and mud preferable.
    *poor lighting; flickering fluorescents preferable
    *fridge, sink, and stove located in 3 corners; a couple of islands set in a blocking pattern preferable
    *limited storage; all above easy reach preferable, elaborate combination locks on all lower cabinets

There ya go!

• romy718
    9 years ago

SMALL TRIANGLES=BIG WAIST. Who knew a great layout could make us fat? Too funny!

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

Are they kidding??? Easily the most ridiculous article I've read!!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As I was reading the article, I couldn't help thinking about Gary and Elaine.

Here is a link that might be useful: catalog living

• amck2
    9 years ago

mama_goose, I'd never heard of Catalog Living. Too funny!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I always wondered whose house is used in the catalogs, now I know it's Gary and Elaine's! Thanks!

And, just want to note that along with cutting way back on the wine, I moved my computer out of the kitchen. The results are good for my waistline: I burn at least 1.3 calories walking through the dining room into the kitchen and back for marshmallows (which, after all, are fat-free).

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I once read to keep yourself from eating chocolate chips out of the bag is to put them in the freezer. I quickly learned that frozen chocolate chips are delicious! and running to the basement freezer was no issue. If you are going to eat, you are going to eat.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Too funny. I will keep my lights and triangles. I will also keep my pantry which has exactly one bag of salt free chips leftover from thanksgiving in it. It does have cans of beans, tomatoes, onions, baking supplies and cereal plus my cook book library. I guess I could go into the kitchen to get a can opener, open a can of beans, go back to the kitchen for a spoon and munch beans while standing and reading my cookbooks!

How about the visible drain in the one picture?

I keep some grapes, carrots and celery at eye level in the fridge and don't routinely buy munchies.

I don't have a Costco membership as supersize bags of food do encourage eating to avoid waste or is that waist!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure the drain was part of the diet design. Walking around it will help burn the extra calories that one consumes by hanging out in front of the glass door fridge.

And the street light on the counter helps with appetite suppression.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Wow. Maybe we should just put a fruit bowl at one end of the kitchen, glasses at the other end, and a Vitamix up a flight of stairs?

Wait, a fruit bowl would look too appetizing. We should tie it up in a burlap sack and keep it under the kitchen sink!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

For an evidence-based take on this topic, I recommend the podcast below. The researcher shares solid data that shows we are more influenced by our environments than we realize. Lots of good ideas.

Personally, I pretty much avoid having anything in my home that I would happily snack on (outside of meals). And I have developed 'avoid' habits around dh's treats that are always in the house like Hagen Daaz dulce de leche ice cream. I cook lots of meals for the kids that I don't even eat (I skip meals a lot - AKA intermittent fasting), so I have cut the association of cooking=eating. I feel like I can give advice because I've managed to stay size 4-6 for five years (for more than a decade before that I was size 12-14). I don't really have time for elaborate diets or exercise regimes so I am really happy that I have found some lifestyle habits that are working for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Slim by Design': Lose weight by changing your environment

• feisty68
    9 years ago

For an evidence-based take on this topic, I recommend the podcast below. The researcher shares solid data that shows we are more influenced by our environments than we realize. Lots of good ideas.

Personally, I pretty much avoid having anything in my home that I would happily snack on (outside of meals). And I have developed 'avoid' habits around dh's treats that are always in the house like Hagen Daaz dulce de leche ice cream. I cook lots of meals for the kids that I don't even eat (I skip meals a lot - AKA intermittent fasting), so I have cut the association of cooking=eating. I feel like I can give advice because I've managed to stay size 4-6 for five years (for more than a decade before that I was size 12-14). I don't really have time for elaborate diets or exercise regimes so I am really happy that I have found some lifestyle habits that are working for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Slim by Design': Lose weight by changing your environment

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

But just think about how much money this will save! Only a burlap sack for fruit and a drawer for peanut butter and bread is needed. Can just use paper plates and plastic utensils. No money needed for fridge, sink, DW, range, kitchen cabinets. I can remodel my kitchen for about $50 after demo. And I'll be so svelte!

Most ridiculous article ever! But glad to meet Gary and Elaine.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I'll tell ya what will make you fat -- that d$@& Kitchenaid mixer in pic #1. I finally, finally got bought myself one on a big after-Christmas sale. It's so much fun to use, I gained 5 pounds.

As for the article, what bunk.

Gary & Elaine -- hilarious!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I posted, I was aware that the theories make sense--I agree with most of them. Dr. Phil's advice for a high-response cost/high-yield nutrition plan is much the same. Eat things that take a lot of time and effort to prepare, and that provide the highest nutrition for that investment, and you will lose weight. I'm happy that I don't have to wade through snow to get to the root/keeping cellar as my grandmother did, even though snow wading is good exercise.

It's just that the author's supposition that anyone who has a highly efficient kitchen work space, and is not smart enough to use some common sense when using that space, struck me as ridiculous. When I'm cooking, I want to do it as quickly and as efficiently as possible. I'll trade out exercise somewhere else. C'mon, people have been cooking and eating in kitchens for millenia, ever since they started roasting mammoth haunches on spits.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Yes, people who actually COOK eat better. And cooking is more efficient when you have a well designed workspace. We should be making cooking easier - because the alternative for many is fast food/convenience food.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm