Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy6421

Faucet for kitchen remodel

kathy6421
9 years ago

I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go with the sink I picked. The sink is a copper undermount with the outside dimensions of 30" wide, 20" front to back and 7" deep. It was 9" deep, but I didn't want such a deep sink, especially being undermount. Inside dimensions are 26" wide, 16" front to back and 7" deep(8" deep when undermounted). I like my old 7" deep sink. I've used deeper sinks and hate them.

Also, I don't like undermounts with the faucet set back and the granite in front of the sink being at least 3 1/2". The faucet reach isn't long enough. It hurts my back. I'm kind of short(5'4").

I know the faucet should reach the drain, but I find that can splash, so that's not a concern. I think the reach will have to be further forward for comfort. What is a concern is that the faucet reach be long enough that I'm not reaching to get to the water to wash dishes. I have 10 1/2" from front of counter to spout now, which is perfect(drop-in sink). Right now, my old faucet has about an 8-8 1/2" reach and spout height is about 6 1/2. Faucet itself has an arch of about
9 1/2"-10" high. It's mounted on the sink rim and reaches the drain. For some reason I have some splashing, but not a huge deal.

I'm not sure about pull-out or pull-down since I've heard some end up hanging and don't go all the way back up, plus most have less than a 10" reach. I love the look of bridge faucets and don't mind the separate spray, which would be a great look for our kitchen. We have an old log home and are trying to keep the style. I'm not ruling out a pull-out/pull-down.

One last concern is the water pressure. I've used other people's that have a lower pressure and don't care for it. I'm used to a higher pressure(2.2?).

Anyone have an undermount sink with a faucet that's not too tall, yet fits tall pots and also has a really long reach(over 10") and really good water pressure? Any suggestions/photos would be appreciated.
Thanks!

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 21:07

Comments (47)

• crl_
    9 years ago

No personal experience but the rohl country bridge faucet seems to meet your criteria-- note that the faucet ran can be substituted with an 11 inch one.

Kohler karbon seems like it would also work for you. It is $$$ and a rather interesting modern look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rohl bridge faucet with side spray

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that I would prefer an American made faucet...Much easier to get parts if something ever happens. I would also like the faucet to have a pvd finish on it.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that I would prefer an American made faucet...Much easier to get parts if something ever happens. I would also like the faucet to have a pvd finish on it.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops! Somehow my post got posted twice.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have a 30" or 33" wide single basin undermount sink? If so, and you have a long enough faucet reach that's very comfortable(no reaching or bending), could you post a photo of it and what faucet you have? Thanks!

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 18:45

• friedajune
    9 years ago

From your post, it seems like you think a pull-out faucet and a pull-down faucet are the same thing. They are not. A pull-down faucet will have the issue you raise of being closer to the rear of the sink, due to its arch-like shape. The pull-down faucets are also the ones that you mentioned that may have the spray dangling if not put back carefully, but that can be solved simply by making sure the pull-down you buy has a magnet. But if your primary goal is to have a reach that is farther into the front of a sink, it's the pull-out style that you want.

A bridge-style faucet would not solve your issue. They typically do not have long reaches into the sink, though there may be some models that do. And, while people like the traditional look of a bridge faucet, keep in mind that every time you turn it on, you will have to adjust both handles, again requiring you to reach toward the back of the sink, the very thing you want to keep to a minimum. It's also an issue if you've just been handling something messy, or something like chicken. A single-hole, single-handle faucet can be turned on with the back of the hand if need be, and does not need to have two handles to be adjusted each time it is used.

Also keep in mind that a side spray will never have as good water pressure as a faucet with an integrated spray. Also, a side spray means yet another hole in your counter, and another thing to clean around. And, ask any plumber and he will tell you that side sprays are more prone to problems than faucets with integrated sprays.

A solution to your issue would be to buy the Kohler Karbon faucet, or a similar style. People adore them, but they are expensive. However, if you have chronic back pain, the price of the Kohler Karbon would be worth it. Please do not worry about its modern looks in a traditional kitchen. There are several kitchens on this Forum that are quite traditional, but with the Kohler Karbon, and it looks great.

I am linking an old thread about pull-out vs. pull-down faucets. While it is old, I don't think there's been a better summary of pull-down vs. pull-out faucets. The thread is so old that the Kohler Karbon and similar-type faucets weren't on the market yet, so are not discussed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Pull-Out vs. Pull-Down Faucets

This post was edited by akchicago on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 10:40

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

About the Kohler Karbon - I considered it, but was turned off by the several negative reviews on Amazon regarding its water pressure, and needing repairs within a year or two after installing. For that price ($1000+), the faucet should be flawless.

Do you have open space above your sink? If so, have your thought about what is called a "pre-rinse" or "professional" faucet? They are very ergonomic. You may think they are too modern, but please think outside the box for a moment and consider it. I just installed the Kraus KPF-1602, and so far I love love love it. Usually pre-rinse faucets are very expensive, but the Kraus is a bargain. It has two faucets in one - a pot filler, and the spray which has excellent water pressure. And because the price is right, I am not so freaked out by risking a big investment the way I would be with the Kohler Karbon.

When I was considering this faucet, I was worried about whether it would look too modern in my kitchen. I saw a few GW Kitchens that were a traditional style but had this Kraus faucet, and thought it looked great.

Here is Jarne2001's traditional kitchen with beadboard ceiling, white inset cabinets, wood counters, and the Kraus-1602 faucet:

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Kohler Karbon is way too modern for our design and the Kraus faucet is way too tall. Any other suggestions/photos would be appreciated. :)

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 7:54

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you have a big undermount sink and a faucet with a long reach that you really like(don't have to bend or reach to far), I would appreciate if you could let me know how big your sink is, how much counter there is in front of the sink and which faucet you have. Photo of it would help to see what it looks like. Thanks!

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Hi Kathy642,

The blogs at Atticmag and Starcraft Custom Builders have some articles on faucets that you might find useful.

My mom and I both are shorter than you. We both have large undermount sinks. I have a Grohe Ladylux3 Plus (pull-out) with Kohler Vault apron-front sink and she has a Grohe Concetto with a Kohler something-or-other sink. We like them. Both have a spray/stream feature that you might like. Both are just over 8.5" reach. The Ladylux3 Plus is not very pretty but we chose it for function, had the prior version of that faucet for nearly 15 years in our old house with no problems.

As a short person, I'd suggest you might consider a Tapmaster, so you don't have to reach all the way across the counter to turn on the faucet. [And even better than that is using the dishwasher for everything that can go ;-)]

Good luck!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

that Kraus faucet would be higher than me!

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our plumber just stopped by and said we should look at 2 handle faucets(which I really like anyway), because we have a heat chase in the cabinet that goes to adjacent room, so there isn't enough room under the sink that a pull-out/pull-down needs.
    I'm leaning towards a Victorian style...maybe a bridge faucet? Can't find anything with a good height(not too high) and good reach. Don't know if I could maybe go with a single handle faucet that doesn't have spray in it(separate side spray). That would be less holes in counter. I forgot to ask if that would work, because I think it's just specifically with the ones with the hose/spray in them that won't fit under cabinet.

Anyone have a 2 handle faucet or single handle faucet with separate side spray you really like with a good spout height and good reach?

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 13:43

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Show me your main kitchen faucet if it is NOT a pull-out or pull-down and reaches to at least the middle of your big sink.(and you really like it!) :)

• Brensters
    9 years ago

Here is a faucet that I have always admired simply because it is different than all of the towering bridge faucets. It comes in 8 different finishes. It has a 9" reach and a spout clearance of 4 13/32". The entire faucet is only 7 7/8" high.
    I have included a link for the spec sheet below.
    {{gwi:2138227}}

http://www.cifialusa.com/prod_techspecs/267.235.pdf

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not too bad of a reach(would like longer), but the height is really short! Is this really a kitchen faucet? What could you even get under the spout? I do love the look of it and have seen bigger ones like it.

Does anyone have one like this one, or similar(but taller)?

I'd love one like that, but I think I'd have too many holes. With the air gap, filtered cold water, side spray and a single handle faucet, that's already 4 holes. A bridge faucet would make it 5 or 6 holes. Although, as I said, I love the look!

Keep the suggestions coming! :)

• friedajune
    9 years ago

You mentioned air gap - are you in California? I think that's about the last remaining state to require an air gap. Dishwashers today come with a "high loop" hose which serves the same function as the air gap (and some say actually functions better than the air gap). That is why there is no longer a requirement for an air gap except for California. And many of the GW Californians usually install an inexpensive air gap just for the inspector. After the inspector leaves, they replace the air gap with a filtered water faucet or the like. If you do that, you will reduce the number of holes you've listed by 1.

You are right though that you will have a little "forest" of fixtures at your sink - that's going to be a bit of a pain to clean around. Just MHO, but those traditional style faucets like Brensters has pictured above have tons of nooks and crannies to clean. How do I know? Because I have a similar style in my bathroom, and even though it doesn't get exposed to food, it somehow gets tiny crud in those nooks and crannies. I love the look of my bathroom faucets, but would not buy them again for any future home. Just giving you my experience!

I did not follow your explanation of why you can't have a faucet with an integrated sprayer. The only extra thing a pull-out has over a faucet without an integrated spray is the hose, which is flexible and doesn't take up any space. A side spray will take up more room under your sink than a faucet with integrated spray.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Kathy642 - Although I've posted that I disagree with a side spray, if you MUST have it, then the most beautiful kitchen faucet with side spray is the graceful and so-elegant Perrin & Rowe. This version I am picturing below is the U.4702 with one handle. Reach is 9". It costs about $1200. The Perrin & Rowe also comes in (if you insist lol) a 2-handle version. Several different finishes.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of the 2-handle Perrin & Rowe, in their "English Bronze" finish, which might go well with your copper sink. It's the #U.4736, and costs about $1600.

(though I still like a one-handled integrated spray better for functionality and ergonomics)

• CathyShoe
    9 years ago

I have the Rohl country bridge faucet in a 30 inch wide 9 inch deep sink. I have the sprayer (love this thing, nice and heavy) a button for the disposal and a filter faucet. Excuse the dishes in the sink!

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Wisconsin. My plumber said an air gap is required. I will look into it further and see if I really need it. He also said since the faucet will be centered, and 8" in cabinet to fit pull-down or pull-out and because of duct work under cabinet, there is not enough space in the right in the middle under the cabinet. I will also have to look into that further to make sure of what will fit.

My main question is if the sink is 20" front to back overall, and inside of sink is 16", with the faucet being on counter behind the sink, I need to know the minimum faucet reach that will hit middle of the sink(preferably even further forward) and also the minimum spout height needed to get tall pots etc under without hitting the faucet. Thanks!

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 10:53

• crl_
    9 years ago

So measure your tallest pot. Then subtract nine inches (seven for your sink depth, one for the countertop depth and one for clearance). What are you left with? Compare that to the specifications for any faucet you are interested in.

Do similar math for the spout reach.

• sahmmy_gw
    9 years ago

Given your imperative of not reaching too far due to back pain, AND the issue of the chase on the back wall, you really should have an apron front sink. An apron front sink means no countertop in front of the sink. Your body will be right against the front of the sink, so the slight lean that is needed for an undermount sink is not needed for an apron front. You seem to like a traditional look, so an apron front sink works for you aesthetically as well. I advise you to switch to an apron front sink.

There have been some lovely copper apron front sinks posted on this Forum. I will look later and post links, or you could do a search.

About the air gap - I agree it is obsolete. Unless you live in a state where Code requires it--and as has been mentioned there may only be one left (or maybe a couple others, not sure), your plumber should not be installing one if your DW is fairly new. He may be really out of touch.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I would put my faucet on the side of the sink or the back corner before I would use a kitchen sink with two separate knobs rather than one. When I am turning on the water in the sink, I rarely have both hands available and clean, and a two handle faucet seems to me to be really difficult for daily use. Are you sure that you don't want to consider alternatives?

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As I mentioned, I will look into what type of faucet will work and whether I need an air gap.
    I'm most concerned about reach and spout height of faucet(would prefer the faucet be tall enough, but not massive).

• shannonplus2
    9 years ago

Kathy, Wisconsin does not require an above-counter air gap. Please refer your plumber to WI Code which describes the requirements for a below-counter air gap, i.e. a high loop installation on your DW. If he doesn't know what a high loop is, or balks at it, find a new plumber who lives closer to the year 2015. I am not sure I understood his reasoning for insisting on 2-handle with side spray either - could be correct, but I'd get a second opinion.

Agree with above that 1-handle faucet is better, especially if you say you don't want to be reaching to the back often. Keep in mind the actual number of times you will be turning on and off the faucet each day. It's a huge number of times to be having to adjust and turn 2 handles with 2 hands instead of just a push on one side for one handle.

Agree with above that integrated spray is better than side spray.

Agree with above that apron front sink is better for your needs, but it may be too late for you to choose it, I can't tell from your post.

You are asking for info on faucets with a certain reach and height - in case you haven't done so already, you can search on many websites which allow you to sort faucets by criteria like number of holes, handles, finish, spout reach and height. I will link one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Website for Kitchen Faucets with Search Function

This post was edited by shannonplus2 on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 13:35

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Someone upthread mentioned the Tapmaster, which allows you to tap the water on and off with your foot or your knee.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it is too late to change to a farmhouse sink, since cabinets are already installed.

Now I'm wondering about how much space there will be behind the sink to fit a faucet. The base cabinets are the standard 24" deep and I assume the counter(quartz) will have a 1.5 overhang.

With the undermount sink being 20" overall front to back(16" inside front to back), I assume the rim is 2"(doesn't say on website). If that's true and I'm correct that if there is 3.5" of counter in front of sink, there will only be 2" between sink and wall for the faucet, correct?

It seems like most people have standard 24" counter(25.5 with overhang) and have a sink at least 20" or more deep and somehow fit a faucet(and backsplash).

Anyone have only 2" between sink and wall and still fit a faucet? If so, please post photo and what faucet you have.
    Thanks!

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Mon, Feb 2, 15 at 10:02

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With the dimensions of my sink and if I'm right about minimum of 3 1/2" counter in front of the undermount sink(standard 24" deep base cabinets), am I right that there will only be 2" of space between the sink undermount rim and wall(window) for the faucet?

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Kathy642, does your sink come with a template and installation guide? That should answer your question. On my folks' undermount sink, a faucet hole was drilled right through the flange.

• sahmmy_gw
    9 years ago

Kathy - people with little room behind their sinks buy a single-handle faucet model that has the ability to have the handle mounted in front of the faucet instead of the standard side placement. Kohler Simplice can do that and I think all the Grohe single-handed faucets (but check to make sure), and several other brands. These faucets with handle mounted in front need less clearance than faucets with handles on the side (whether 1-handled or 2-handled). A number of GW kitchens have installed their faucets with handle in front.

Regarding your comment about an apron front sink and your cabinetry, the Kohler Whitehaven apron front sink is constructed to be installed in existing cabinetry. Plus it has the awesome corner drain. Just something to think about (I am just trying to be helpful cause you mentioned avoiding back strain). I'll link a video which explains the Whitehaven a little bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of Kohler Whitehaven Sink

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Here is a thread about distance behind sink for faucet. The OP is talking about an apron front sink, but the guidance given applies to any sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Space for Faucet

This post was edited by akchicago on Mon, Feb 2, 15 at 14:22

• javiwa
    9 years ago

Hear, hear! to what Sahmmy said: my Kohler Simplice - front mount.

• jan_in_davis
    9 years ago

Javiwa - what finish is that on your faucet? I love how it looks in the picture and thought it had to be copper or bronze, but when I looked up the Simplice faucet at Kohler, it only comes in chrome, stainless & black. Yours doesn't look like any of those colors!

• javiwa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

oh, gosh, jan_in_davis...so sorry I missed your post. I think I'd better get organized for better follow-up! It's the stainless. I'm sure it's the kitchen lighting mixed with my editing the colors in the pic to make the faucet more clear...and probably also the faucet catching the color off my red walls.

• jan_in_davis
    9 years ago

Thanks, Javiwa, I was afraid that it was just the way the light hit a stainless faucet, but wanted to ask just in case, because I liked your faucet so much. Guess I'll go back to searching for copper or bronze in a similar design!

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    9 years ago

For a completely different faucet experience, take a look at Sonoma Forge faucets. They meet most of your criteria -- made in U.S.A., etc. except that they do not usually feature PVD finishes. Possibly the Brownstone collection. It's had to describe Sonoma Forge faucets. They are at the same time contemporary while very rustic -- you'll just have to look at them to see what I mean.

If you don't want an imported faucet, be careful. A lot of "American" companies now sell nothing but imported, mostly Chinese faucets. Even some Delta, Moen and Kohler faucets are made in China and Taiwan. To find out where faucets are made you might check our faucet reviews: Faucet Reviews and Ratings. We review and rate over 70 domestic and foreign faucet companies selling in the U.S. and Canada.

Caveat: We are not in the faucet business and do not sell faucets.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Have you considered a Waterstone? They are on the pricey side but I love mine and I am glad that I went with it. I have the Kohler Whitehaven sink and find no back strain at all even when doing holiday clean-up.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If it will work to get a pull-down or pull-out faucet(I'll have to check if it's possible), does anyone have or know of one that has an over 9" reach, 7.5" or higher spout height, 2.0 or higher gpm(or multi flow) and comes in a darker PVD finish? Or a 2 handle(handles attached to faucet, so only one hole with separate side spray)?

I've also heard there is a high flow? kit to make the water flow higher(from 1.5 to 2.0 I think). Can you get that for any faucet?

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Can anyone tell me how much room is needed under sink for a pull-out or pull-down faucet?

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Does anyone have a sink the same size as mine(undermount - 30" x 20" overall - 26" x 16" interior) and a pull-out or pull-down faucet you really like, that fits between sink and backsplash, has a long enough reach so you're not bending over(for when you hand wash or fill something) and high enough spout height to get a tall pot under and wash it without hitting any part of the faucet? I don't want the faucet to be too tall though(14"? or less if possible). Photo and dimensions would help. Thanks!

• frhomez1
    8 years ago

I'm going for that same sink dimension (8" depth with zero radius corners). I've have had good experience with the Kohler Simplice pull down (cheap by most faucet standards) and was thinking I'd go with it again, but Kohler has a recent addition that I'm considering, called Artifacts. It has 3 functions including a "sweep" spray which is a more concentrated/angled and a soft "berry" spray which should help when rinsing more delicate produce. (Course you can always adjust the pressure to less as I've done in the past!) My criteria which limited some choices is that the faucet spray function doesn't require holding a button and that it goes back to not spray when turned off and on again.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I looked at the Artifacts faucets, but it only has an 8 1/2" reach which is way to short and I really need something 9 1/2 or more, so I'm not leaning over to wash something. Also, it only has 1.8 gpm. I would like at least 2.0 gpm. If it's a lower flow, It needs to have a high flow kit that I could get for it, or some way I could get a higher, stronger flow and spray. Very pretty faucet though.

• springplanter
    8 years ago

measurement for undermount about counter : You will have more than the 2' because you have the interior measurements to go by minus any positive reveal you will be using. for example if interior is 16 inches and you have 26.5 inches of counter you would take away .25 inch front and back if you are goig with a .25 positive reveal (most common for undermount) and still have 10 inches to use divided between the front and back.

Another idea would be to check out the bar faucets they often have less height and a shorter pull out hose and might resolve your height and the lack of space for the single faucet hose under your counter

good luck

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If I could find a bar faucet with a long enough reach, but I think all bar faucets have a very short reach unfortunately. If anyone has a faucet that is no taller than 14 inches, high enough spout height to wash tall pots without hitting the faucet and has a really good reach, please post a photo of it and what faucet it is, if you can. I know I said no pull-downs earlier, but a pull-down may work. Thanx!

• sandmtn_gw
    8 years ago

Kathy, I have the same issues. I researched and found for a solution the Ladylux Cafe Ladylux Plus pullout (33737DC0). Hopefully it will be installed within the week.

It has a 10-3/8" reach, 12-5/8", and 10-9/16" from spout to top of sink. I found really good reviews for it.

It may be the faucet (or discontinued version) that Oaktown has (see msg above). And as stated, it is not elegant looking but I am hoping will be a back saver.

The reason I got the discontinued version is that I wanted the handle to move forward and backward from vertical instead of up and down from horizontal. I plan to put the handle in front to make it more accessible as well as for any dripping from wet hands to be into the sink rather than on the counter.

Edit: Flow rate on discontinued one is 2.2gpm. I bought it new on ebay. Looks like current version has max flow rate of 1.75gpm.

Specs for current Ladylux Cafe pullout

Specs fo my discontinued Ladylux

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    8 years ago

sandmtn_gw, just to let you know, the faucet with the model# 33737DC0, has the dimensions you gave, but the link you gave for it is for model#33759, which has a height of 11 11/16", reach of 9 1/8" and spout height of 9 5/8". I would possibly consider this faucet, but I'm hoping to find something that comes in oil rubbed bronze or something similar with a lifetime warranty on the finish(preferably pvd finish, if possible, which is hard to find in a darker color).

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anyone have a kohler, delta or moen faucet with a darker finish that you've had for quite awhile? How's the finish? Still look like new, or has it started to wear?