Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamiecrok

Almost finished kitchen!

jamiecrok
12 years ago

We just moved into our house a few weeks ago so things are still crazy. The cabinet guy has to come back and finish up some things. He did slab door fronts instead of shaker on the drawers so he is remaking those. We were in such a hurry to get moved before the new year that we decided to work that out later.

I still need to pick out the backsplash and get the glass in the cabinets once he is finished.

So far my favorite feature has to be the drawers! We only have a few regular cabinets with pull outs which work well for things like my stand mixer. We used metal box sides and those things are stout!

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE my River White granite. By far one of the best choices in the entire kitchen.

The single bowl sink is AMAZING! We got the pull down faucet on clearance at HD for $65 and it is also really great. I wasn't sure about the pull down head at first but I have to say I really ended up loving it. The corner pantry has tons of space, we only have shelving on one wall and it fits everything well.

We did a pullout spice rack by the stove which has been really handy since I can see the spices instead of digging through the cabinet with everything falling out.

Also did a convection space saver microwave. Got it as a floor model at Lowes for $100 and that has been so great. I love to bake rolls in it for dinner instead of cranking up the big oven. One of the best deals of our whole build.

Bosch dishwasher really cleans well. I have had two other Boschs previously that didn't do as good of a job, this thing is amazing.

Other features:

-Xenon under cabinet lights

-Maple shaker style cabinets, full height 9 ft ceilings

-Bosch dishwasher

-Samsung French door fridge with 2 ice makers (another awesome deal from Lowes)

-Frigidaire Gallery slide in duel fuel gas range with warming drawer

-River White granite

-Soci stainless sink with grid

-Moen pull down faucet

-BM Nantucket Gray wall color

Comments (25)

• springroz
    12 years ago

Love it! The cabinet color and style are beautiful, and I like the grey walls! The view out your windows looks amazing!

Good work!!

Nancy

• Emily
    12 years ago

It looks great! Congratulations! What a beautiful space! Love the ceiling height cabs!

What are your hardwood floors? Do you have anything in mind yet for a backsplash?

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

That looks so great! Really warm and I love your choice of granite. What is the story of the drawer base to the left of the dishwasher? It looks like some glass may go in there, or something? Great job...enjoy!

• jamiecrok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The hardwood is 3/4'' Hickory. It is Millstead Hickory in Autumn Wheat. We got it at Home Depot.

I haven't looked to much at backsplashes but I did see one I liked that was a subway glass tile with white and light green.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Very nice! Great looking cabinets, a warm and comfortable space. Hope you love it!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

What a great looking kitchen and it looks really functional.. I like all the windows that you have and particularly like your pendant lighting. They seem to tie in with your walls and counter. Very nice. It just looks really comfy and I can so easily envision a lot of people hanging out in the space.

• Lollyei
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I've been looking at stone slabs online and in stone yards for weeks, and I like the River White slab in person, but this is the first time I've seen it installed. Thanks for sharing it here :)

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Very pretty! Really love the cabinets. You have such a nice, warm kitchen. Enjoy the new space!

• angel411
    12 years ago

Wow!
    I really love the colors in your kitchen! The cabinets go perfectly with the counters and walls. It is so pretty! I know you will enjoy it.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I can see why you love your white river granite!
    It is so pretty.
    Your whole kitchen is beautiful
    with a harmonious blend of colors and textures.
    I love your super functional layout.
    Be sure to post final pictures!

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

The island looks really good-you have a fairly large kitchen and could have gone a few diferent ways with configuring things...this seems really nicely scaled. It can be tricky to get an island properly sized,etc, for a space. Love how 2 people can sit for a bit very comfortably...but if not, the stools can stay tucked under.
    Oooh, I'd love that top for cutting out patterns.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Looks great! Glad you got to move in finally. It takes time to get everything squared away. Don't rush. The granite is gorgeous!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Very, very handsome! I really like the way it relates to that nice view outside, and I bet it'll be extra special in summer. And love, love, love your granite. :) Congrats, Jamie.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

My monitor resolves your paint color as a green. Celery? A very soft color. Combined with your cabinets and beautiful granite, this really exemplifies the term "organic" to me. Very warm.

Love your door! I've been looking for those 5-panel doors at the reuse center. For some reason, that style speaks to me. :)

You've done a fabulous job!

Christine

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think the cabs look awesome as is. I would not change out the slabs. See if you can get a credit for the "mistake". It looks less fussy this way and more organic to tie in the wood's finish and colors used. I love the color wood with the counters you chose. This really is a nice package how it all come together.
    Congrats!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I'm loving the cabinets and granite. Any chance you can share some detailed pictures of your granite?

• cj47
    12 years ago

What a lovely, warm space! It all works together so nicely. I love your cabinets, and pendants--and that paint color! Very pretty. You must be in heaven with that wonderful expanse of work space. Very nicely done.

I have shaker cabs, too, and had my drawers done as slabs on purpose. :-) They'll look great either way, IMO.

Enjoy the new space!

Cj

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

well, despite the fact that your kitchen does not match your dog (pic #3), at least s/he matches your appliances tolerably well ;) .

seriously, your kitchen is very warm and inviting and I really like your color combinations.

cheers

• jamiecrok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all of the nice feedback! To answer a few of the questions...
    The drawers next to the dishwasher will have glass fronts on them (when I get around to the glass) with a 2'' pocket for decorations like candy corn at Halloween etc.

Since some of you mentioned the penants I thought I would add that we bought them at Lowes, they don't put off a ton of light but it is nice ambient lighting.

CEFreeman we actually bought our doors from the lumber yard, it is a reemerging style:) and the paint color is a greenish gray more on the green side even though it is called Nantucket Gray.

Since so many of you commented on the granite here are so close ups of it! Although it is a mid-priced granite the guys who installed it told me they were excited to do something other than builder grade as that is most of what they do. We were thinking about Giallo Ornamental and decided to do something with more movement after reading the thread about things people would do differently. I have to say to Lollyei that it looks totally different in the yard, thier lights are very distorting so it looked blue in the warehouse but I knew that once it was in natural light it would be great. Thanks GW!!!!

One other note, I know many of you don't like the french door style fridges. Ours is not counter depth. I have found it very useful with 2 little ones that can't climb inside of it like our old side by side. The slide away shelves are great to make room for tall stuff like pop bottles without having to move the whole shelf...just a FYI to those who are looking for a fridge.

• aries61
    12 years ago

Hate to bring this up, but is something missing on the above refrigerator cabinet? It looks like it's missing a side panel or something. Also, the crown molding looks different.

• nikkidan
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! Had aries61 not mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed the issues above the fridge! Good to see you like the spice cabinets...I have those in my plan. Wondering if having the spices next to the warm stove will affect shelf life?

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love everything. Your granite is so pretty and love the cabinets. Thanks for sharing!

• jamiecrok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes you caught me! Like I said above the cabinet guy has to come back, the fridge situation is one of those things...the side panel that went next to the fridge was supposed to allow 36'' for the fridge, he made it 35 3/4 so the fridge wouldn't go in. He has to come back and do a panel from the countertop up and re-fabricate the upper cabinet. We had to take the cabinet down to remove the side panel once the fridge was here so we didn't bother putting the crown back up until the issue was corrected...we have considered just doing without the panel and having him finish the side of the upper cabinet, but it looked so great with it.

All I can say is I am so happy I refused to pay him until after we moved in and had a chance to make sure we were happy with everything or we would not have caught the fridge thing!

• Amanda Bennett
    5 years ago
    What is the height of your upper cabinets? And in between space between uppers and lowers.