Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sippy_south

Does faucet HAVE to match hardware??

sippy_south
15 years ago

Hello,

Could I get some opinions on whether or not the faucet finish I choose has to match my hardware?? I am chosing a cream cabinet w/ toasted almond glaze, and dark bronze simple knobs and cup pulls. The designer I've worked with says my faucet should match my hardware. I am considering the Delta Leland in Venetian Bronze but I also like brushed nickel. What do you all think? I recall seeing some great kichens that didn't follow this rule.

If I have a black granite counters, a black sink, and the venetian bronze faucet will it be too dark? Does anyone have this color faucet who could post a pic. of it? Thanks everyone...you all are great. :)

Comments (10)

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I do think the venetian bronze faucet would fade into the background with black counters and black sink. Will any of your appliances be ss? You could select a ss or brushed nickel faucet and tie in that way. I have seen many posts here though where people have mixed finishes and it has looked great.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

It really is a matter of opinion. I have ORB faucets in my kitchen and the hardware is blackened gold (for lack of a better description). I personally don't like matchy-matchy. In my hall bath, the cabinet hardware is ORB, the faucet is antique brass and the lighting fixtures are antique bronze. They are all in the same color family, but not exactly the same color.
    To me, it looks nice.
    There will, of course, be other opinions.
    In the end, it is your preference.

• boringmama
    15 years ago

In todays world Nothing matters except what YOU like. Some people are going to insist that everything match and possibly disappear, like you suggest might happen, and others will insist that contrast is the way to go. You know your kitchen and I suggest trying it out (be it as simple as cutting out a mock faucet in both colors, putting it up and take a look).

Most homes that I have been in, even our Designer Homes, this year, did not have everything that matched.

My remodel will not have matching faucet and hardware. I am able to tie everything together, however. Good luck. I'm anxious to see any photos that others submit.

• november
    15 years ago

I think you should do what you like. We have cream cabinets, black countertops, ORB hardware, and SS appliances and faucets. Some things jump out at me (some of my inset cabinet doors are hung a tiny bit crookedly), but not this ;)

• sippy_south
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I agree that I need to do what I like. November, you have a beautiful kitchen, thanks for posting the pic. Is that soapstone or granite? Very nice.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I will have bronze hardware and glazed cabinets. I am getting brushed nickel it will compliment my stainless appliances.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I have dark cabinet hardware and satin nickel faucet. My KD completely encouraged this - no need for everything to match - according to her or me.

• positano
    15 years ago

I don't think it has to match either, but here is an example of dark faucet, sink and countertop. I think it looks great with the lighter backsplash. I think the sink in the picture is stainless, but looks almost black with the lighting.

Talk about matching, this picture shows ORB faucet,brass hardware,copper mixer and stainless appliances. Keeps it interesting!

• soshh
    15 years ago

I don't think it does either. In our master bath we put ORB lighting, because it's an older home and I didn't want everything to scream shiny. I also put ORB bin pulls and latches on the vanity (plus a small ORB towel bar on the vanity.

I did choose polished nickel faucets, tub filler, robe hook, towel bar (on wall) and tp holder. My thought process was...I wanted certain things to look old, as if they existed earlier, and certain things I wanted to look new and shiny. (OK, I am known for overthinking!) It all works.

In my girls' bath, I chose satin nickel, but had a hard time mixing it up. The only thing different is the door knob (because it already existed) and shower hooks I had that are vintage style but shiny chrome. I might add in chrome for a soap pump and other accessories because in reality I do like the combo.

The BEST way I think to see what you like is to look at tons of pictures. I generally like to see the same finish in two places, so something doesn't look like the odd man out, but it's not necessary.