Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Super glue on granite!

Posted by marc_ia (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 19:51

Ok. I know I did a dumb thing. Lol. Trying to super glue a little piece and it fell on the granite counter. It got even dumber. I tried to wipe it quickly so of course it smeared all over. There must be an answer as to how to remove it so I can pretend it never happened. Anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Super glue on granite!

I assume granite is as tough as quartz when it comes to hardness. When I get stuff like this on my quartz, I just take a sharp knife on an angle and scrape it off. could you try that on a tiny bit and see if it removes it?

o

Acetone - nail polish remover. If yourgranite is sealed, you may need to re-seal after using the acetone.

o

I would first try full strength white vinegar and a scrubby - it works on getting off epoxy grout haze so I think it might work on the glue. If that doesn't do the trick, I would try one of those single edge razor blades on a low angle.

o

Thanks..you all are great. The vinegar didnt work at all. The scraping is slow going but I'm doing it. The only nail polish I have is non acetone!! :-). But you've given me ideas. Thanks.

o

There is a product called debonder. A brand name is Flashback. It is sold in hobby shops that sell model supplies. It dissolves hardened CA glue.

o

use a razor blade. it will scrape right off and the razor blade won't damage the granite. shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Note: you can also use a razor blade on quartz but must be a lot more careful since the resin in the surface (30%) is easily damaged.

o

Razor, then buff any remaining residue (dried) with steel wool, 00 or 000 should be fine.

o

You all are the best. I admit to panicking slightly. I've scraped it off and learned my lesson. Won't do that again. Thanks so much for being so helpful. I love this forum site.

o

Goo-gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here