Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

Can a single sink be too big?

rjr220
14 years ago

I believe I've decided on a Kohler Stages sink. I thought that I had decided that the Stages 33 would do -- it has a 12 inch "prep" platform and a 19.5 inch, 9 inch deep basin. We currently have an old Elkay behemoth -- double basin, 43 inch, each basin is 18.5 inches. They hold the grills, the cookie sheets. My husband's request is that the new sink be able to hold the grills for cleaning. But now, not that ANYONE here has ever questioned their decision, I am wondering if maybe I should get the 45. I believe the basin is 31-32 inches.

I am forgoing a prep sink. One side of the sink (the platform side) will be next to the prep area, the other side, the basin side, will be the "clean-up zone". If I got the large one, I would heavily consider getting 2 faucets -- one for the prep area, one for the clean-up end. Currently 80% of the time, it's just me cooking, maybe someday (am I dreaming?) my husband will join me back in the kitchen on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure I have room for the larger sink.

So, I guess I have 2 questions.

1. Can a sink be too big?

2. If my prep sink and clean-up sink is one and the same, is bigger better?

Thanks, as this kitchen reno comes closer to reality, I know I'll be posting more questions. Like the next one I'm about to send out about Carrera subway tile . . .

Comments (13)

• pinch_me
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That sounds like something I would do. And I'd do the double faucets, too. The sink was the first thing I chose in my remodel and it's sitting on my living room floor right now. I debated between the 30 and the 36 and there was a tremendous price difference. I stood at my old sink and tried to decide between the two sizes. I chose the 30 but now I'm getting used to seeing it and I think the 36 would have been just fine.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Actually, if you have a large sink, a center drain makes sense since you can have either side to work or stack and keep the center clear. And I have a 10" sink undermounted -- for every "we only do it this way" post, there will be another doing it the other way. Figure out what makes sense for you and go with it. ;-)

In your situation, if you have plenty of counter to work with, the Stages 45 with dual faucets like they were showing in the initial ads sounds like a great way to go.

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

Here's what you can have with a rear corner drain: enough room to have a disposal (with 2 dishwasher feeds) & instant hot water on one side, and a pullout cabinet on the other.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

1. No
    2. Yes

IMHO

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Gizmo -- I searched for a corner sink that worked for my space and DH nixed the only one or two I found. Instead, I found that you can work the space to get just as good a use from a rear center drain. My cabinet has a disposal with 2 DW feeds, an instant hot tank, a large soap bottle with a NeverMT, a basket with cleaning supplies and another basket with spare sponges, trash bags, brushes and gloves, and two bins for trash and recycling. The best thing to do, in my experience, is to plan it well and either do it yourself or severely threaten your plumber to execute it per the plan. ;-D

• jeri
    14 years ago

If my prep sink and clean-up sink is one and the same, is bigger better?

A rhetorical question if ever I heard one! :-)

I am intrigued by the stages 45 and have been waiting for some real-time reviews. IMO, this sink only makes sense if you are going to use it for prep and clean-up, or if you are a multi-butt kitchen. Im the only cook in my family, but DH seems to always be at the sink when I need it. The Stages 45 with 2 faucets would take care of that problem. So, IMO  if you are not going to have a separate prep sink  I think the Stages 45 is perfect.

Drachiele  I agree with most of your post  but not about the center drain. In my last kitchen (we recently moved) we had a center drain. We turned both of the doors below the sink into pullouts that would each hold a tall kitchen trash can. The sink also had a standard sized disposal. If the disposal was in the back corner, we never would have been able to have 2 full sized kitchen trash cans in pullouts underneath. I *really* liked this setup and plan to repeat this when we remodel this kitchen. I do understand about things interfering with the drain, and I did have that problem. I always figured a sink grid would take care of that  something I never did get around to getting.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

Lascatx and jeri, can you post pictures of your under sink pullouts and disposal? How big are your cabinets?
    thanks!

• rjr220
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have decided to go with the Stages 45, now an pondering whether to put the garbage pull-out below the prep area of the sink, or in the center, simular to what Gizmonike has. Oh well, I am not about to post yet another thread about pull-out placement. Read them all, just need to figure out what works for us.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

My cabinet is 36 inches, frameless.

Here's the way it looks when you open it. When you click on that you can see the other photo with everything pulled out.

We didn't use pullouts for the trash bins because we turned them sideways and because it added height that mean either smaller bin or less ability to reach under the sink to put anything in them. It worked out better for us this way. I do have a pullout on the island next to the prep sink and there it works great.

• jeri
    14 years ago

This is not mine, but it is similar. Instead of the door going all the way up, I have 2 false drawer fronts and shorter doors. I choose the false drawer fronts because they keep the base of the sink hidden which I think looks nicer. You would also have the option to turn the drawer fronts into tilt-outs if you like those. My sink base cabinet is 30" wide and each door/pullout is 15" wide. Each side holds a tall kitchen trash can sitting length wise front to back. This allows for plenty of storage at the bottom of each pullout for soaps, gloves, sponges, etc.

These (and mine) are IKEA, but I would think it could be done with other cabinets as well.

• judydel
    14 years ago

If you have room for a large sink without sacrificing counter and cabinet space I say go for it. I can't imagine a sink being too large, unless it is at the sacrifice of other kitchen components.

Of course, I love love love big sinks. I have the 48" Kohler Harborview sink on legs with two faucets and a removable wooden drainboard, and I have a large 1 3/4 sink in the main kitchen. But my kitchen is big enough for both without sacrificing anything else.

As far as the Kohler Stages sinks go . . . is the side platform removable? If not, I don't see the advantage of having that sink. Why take up more room for a sink with a platform , vs having just the sink and using a cutting board to the side of the sink, or a strainer in the sink? I don't understand the big advantage.

• beckyg75
    13 years ago

Does anyone have a follow up on the Stages sink discussed in this thread?

Thanks.