Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsdindinbaby

What do you use in your kitchen everyday?

My cabinet makers are gifted craftsman... AND they are ALL men that don't help their wives cook or clean at all. So, i'm not counting on them being much help in the kitchen designing department, since they don't cook! I would like to hear from the cooks/obsessive cleaners in this group what you use everyday, every week, and every month so I can be reminded of anything that I have missed. On my list is:

Daily: cast iron skillet, dish towels, metal spatula, tongs, wooden spoon, oven, range, electric tea kettle, dishwasher, wooden cutting board, chef knife, mop with microfiber cloths, sponges and scrub brush

Weekly: stand mixer, hand blender, big mixing bowls, bench scraper, plastic cutting board, rubber spatula, measuring cups/spoons, paring knife, wisk, broiler, toaster

Monthly: food processor, strainer, collander, thermometer, wisk, steamer, pasta pot, grilling items

What and when do you use what you use?

Comments (27)

• Jillius
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You seem to have missed utensils. Forks, knives, spoons, etc.

And normal dishes -- plates, bowls, drinking glasses, etc.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Broom and mop
    Containers to pack kids' lunches

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Daily: small-to-medium pots and pans, dish towels, metal spatula, wooden spoon, oven, range, dishwasher, plastic cutting board, assorted knives, sponges, dishware and silverware, glassware, hot mitts, spices, can opener

Weekly: stand mixer, small-to-medium mixing bowls, casserole dishes, crock pot, rice cooker, steamer, crock pot, large pots and pans, baking sheets, cast iron cookware, ramekins

Rarely: food processor, hamburger patty mold, egg slicer, turkey lifters, toaster, blender, immersion blender, serving bowls, muffin tins

• deedles
    9 years ago

Drawers. Make sure whatever you use daily or weekly that there is a drawer for it. Maybe you've already been indoctrinated into the GW drawer thing though...

• lisapoi
    9 years ago

Daily: coffee maker, teas (just bought the Teacopia Tea Stand from Canadian Tire to house all my teas), toaster, radio, cutting boards, chef knives, plastic containers and lids, kettle, tea towels, hot pads, oven mitts/ pads, breads, dishwasher, can opener, garlic press, wooden spoons, spatula, dishes, glasses, mugs, cutlery, placemats, dish scrubber, colander, smaller strainers, recipe books, iPad, microwave, prep sink (and main sink, of course. Prep sink seemed like a grand extravagance because I have a fairly small kitchen (11 x 12), but it has made a huge difference in the functionality of the space!)

Weekly: casserole dishes, cookie sheets, baking sheets, baking pans, electric mixer, salad spinner, wine opener

Monthly: bread machine, magic bullet, crock pot, portable griddle, waffle maker, fancy plates (only a few times a year)

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

What about daily uses for coffeemaker and sink?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

No microwave? (lisapoi, I saw yours when I refreshed the page.)

Someone asked me once, what I thought was the greatest invention of the 20th century. I said the birth control pill, but the microwave was next on my list. ;)

• None Ofyourbusiness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Jillius I should have mentioned utensils and plates. I probably didn't because I think (think not know) I already have an idea on where to put these.

@ lisapoli I did forget sheet pans! And all of the pre-cut sheets of parchment they require

@ mama goose I will put that in the weekly category. I don't use it as much as most, but still couldn't live without one. I agree with the birth control comment!

For those of you who have a warming drawer, how often do you use it?I found a too good to resist deal on craigslist and now we have one. I'm not sure how much priority to give it. Where is yours located in the kitchen?

• crl_
    9 years ago

My warming drawer came with my range. I have used it never. In over two years. We had one in a previous kitchen for the same reason. We lived in that house for 18 months or so and I think I used the warming drawer a dozen times, most often to warm plates.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Daily- skillets, small and large sauce pans, sauté pan, mixing bowls, wooden spoons, slotted and unslotted spoons, tongs, chefs knives, microplane grater, cutting board, plates, bowls, cups, spoons, forks, coffee cups, coffee maker, microwave, stove, dishwashers, sinks, fridge, towels, oven mitts, kids lunch boxes/sandwich boxes and water bottles, aluminum foil, wax paper, saran wrap, containers for storing leftovers.

Weekly- ovens, crock pot, bakeware, cookie sheets, measuring cups and spoons, juicer, zester, vegetable peeler, griddle, ziploc bags

Monthly (or a few times a year)- blender, waffle iron, gravy seperator, china, nice silverware and serving ware, coffee and tea carafes, punch bowl, silver tea service, nice serving dishes.

I think that is everything, I tried to mentally go cabinet to cabinet and identify every single object in the kitchen and how frequently it is used.

I hope that helps. Maybe try going through all of your current kitchen, think about everything you have and how frequently you use it.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Since moving to this house in May, we do not have a microwave. However the toaster oven was used multiple times a day. It died and was replaced ASAP. My boys make toast, heat freezer snacks and warm left overs in it several times a day.

I use my 2 cup glass measuring cup almost daily.

I use my towels for "hot mitts" . I do have a few thatmy youngest son uses if he's using the big oven.

I use and reuse various sizes of canning jars all the time.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Coffee maker
    stove top
    Microwave
    Fridge
    Pans
    Sharp knives
    Cutting board
    Spatula
    Sink
    Seasonings
    Paper towels
    Soap dish and hand
    Scrubber
    Cleaner
    Hand towels
    Silverware
    Coffee mugs
    Glasses
    Ice

Every other day add in
    Oven
    Can opener
    Dishwasher (there are only two of us)
    Foil
    Baking dish
    Oven mitt

Weekly
    Blender

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

mama_goose, LOL on the greatest invention! My family thinks one of the greatest inventions is the instant hot water dispenser. Used for cleaning, cooking, and tea & hot chocolate (no time to wait for a kettle to boil).

• localeater
    9 years ago

In addition to how often things are used, I urge you to think about when you want to grab them, and why.
    Like you I use my cast iron skillets daily, they are in a slotted (so they store on edge)drawer right next to my stove- pull open drawer, grab handle, pan is on the burner! Mitts, top drawer next to stove, also in that cabinet: kosher salt, sea salt, pepper grinder, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, spray oil. My spice drawer is accessible from the stove, as well as handy to the island where I prep.
    When I am standing at the stove-daily- I use metal spatula, wooden spoons, tongs, these are in a utensil crock on my counter. On the other side of my stove, the top drawer is utensils I might want when cooking or plating, pizza slicer, cheese grater, zester, ie less used utensils. Below that are all my pots and lids, below that my big dutch oven(used at least weekly) and some less used baking dishes. The next bank over has more unusual utensils(funnel, thing that cuts an apple into sections, jar scrapers, chopsticks, chop stickrests, sushi rolling mat- you get the idea. The other two drawers in this are bowls- mixing bowls, serving bowls, colander, big wooden salad bowls, salad spinner.
    Spin around and you are at my island- what do I do at my island? I prep, I pack lunches so knives, cutting boards, wraps are here. So are bread, lunch containers, all food storage containers. What else do I do at my island-I bake, one utensil drawer of baking utensils: measuring cups, measuring spoons, rolling pin, pastry mat below that a baking ingredient drawer; sugars, flours, food scale. Bottom drawers are appliances I use weekly; cuisinart, blender, mandoline, hand blender, hand mixer.
    Thinking about how often you use things is great, but think about the context in which you use them too! Walk through the process of meal preparation and maximize the efficiency through good placement.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

did anyone say salad spinner? I use mine once a week or so and it takes up a lot of space in its drawer!

I'm one of the "lots of drawers" people. My kitchen has lower doors only for the corner cabinet, under the sink, next to the stove for cookie sheets, etc, stored on their sides, and an odd little cabinet at the end of the run...too small for drawers.

If you are going to use drawers, be sure to tell the cabinet maker to make the bottoms out of wood heavy enough to hold a good deal of weight.

• lisapoi
    9 years ago

Things I forgot to mention -- but I rarely use them and now I am finding it very difficult to find a home for them . . . Cookie cutters, vases, rolling pin.

Something I use every day are my spices. I have them in a drawer, standing upright, with the name of the spice written on the screw cap in black Sharpie marker. it works, but I miss my old swing out spice shelf that was at counter and eye height in my old full length pantry.

I have too many opened bags of spices that didn't fit into the jars . . .they take up a lot of real estate in the drawer. I think I'm a spice junkie.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

lisa, several years ago, someone recommended this website as a source for bottle and jars. Perhaps you can find something there to help you get rid of the bags of spices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Specialty Bottles and Jars

• bbstx
    9 years ago

lisa, several years ago, someone recommended this website as a source for bottle and jars. Perhaps you can find something there to help you get rid of the bags of spices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Specialty Bottles and Jars

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I just want to say that localeater's advice is right-on! Commercial kitchens are set up for "use in place" storage. Home kitchens should be set up the same way.

Of course, you can still consider how often you use it if storage is limited. For example, most of my baking is cookies or brownies or biscuits so the sheets/pans for those are going into my baking center area. I rarely make layer or bundt cakes or muffins. So I'm storing those in my pantry in the laundry room (right next to kitchen).

"Use in place" storage might require multiples. For example, I'm going to have basic measuring spoons/cups in both my baking area and in my prep area. They don't take up much room and will save a few steps if they're in both places needed so it's worth the small expense to have doubles. Plus, if someone is baking while someone else is prepping for a meal, they won't be fighting over the measures. Double win.

I rarely use my microwave. Mainly to heat up coffee or melt butter for DH's nightly popcorn. And occasionally to defrost meat if I didn't plan ahead well. My laundry/pantry room will have a beverage and snack center and the microwave will be going there instead of in my kitchen. We don't eat canned soup often but, since it's stored in the pantry, I'm also putting can opener, soup bowls, and soup spoons in the beverage/snack center so one can heat up soup there without bothering the cook. There will be a small prep-size sink in that area so I'll supply it with dish soap, scrubber and drain mat for these types of small items that take little time to clean-up if one doesn't want to walk them into the kitchen to the DW.

I'm even considering putting items there for making sandwiches like knives, the peanut butter, and such. The cabinet I'm repurposing for that spot has a big, pull-out cutting board so that would be handy for making sandwiches. And bev/snack area is about equal distant from the fridge as my prep area to get cheese, lunch meats, lettuce and such so it would be convenient. For us, this is really needed because my DH eats like 3 teenage boys. Seriously, it's a wonder he isn't 500#. Many times I'm making dinner and he wants a sandwich to tide him over until dinner is ready, even if dinner is only 30 minutes away. This way he can make that sandwich without being a nuisance for me while I'm cooking.

Anyway, just some ideas of the types of things you'll want to think through when planning your layout and storage needs.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Good advice here - and putting things where you will use them is important. Planning ahead is important - but be ready for bumps in the road - for example, I planned a drawer directly under the cooktop but it didn't meet code so had to change a few things - which in the end is somewhat better than my original plan (I moved the wraps and bags to a drawer closer to the fridge - but probably would have done a bank of 4 drawers instead of 3 as I do have to stack load some of the wraps)

Before I signed off on the plan - I literally measured and tagged my old space on where items should go. One major goal - I hated the organization of the dishes, glasses, and silverware - My plates were to the left of the DW, my glasses across from the DW, and the silverware was to the right of the DW on another bank of cabinets. In my new plan, everything is the right of the DW except for a few specialty items - so I can unload everything into their homes.

I don't bake everyday - but all my baking supplies, cake and muffin tins are near the oven.(including my favorite item - hot mitts with fingers - so much better than a pot holder) Most of my measuring cups and other baking utensils live in this area. I do duplicate a set of measuring spoons and cups in the cooking area.

I don't use the cooktop everyday but most of my pans and utensils are stored by the cooktop. My large LeCreuset dutch oven and AC pasta pot are in the corner SuperSusan.
    My herbs and spices are close to the cooktop but on the second shelf and away from the heat (I do keep cinnamon and a few others in the baking area)

We eat breakfast everyday and usually cold cereal - and the plates, bowls, silverware and cereal are within reach of each other. (plus condiments honey, sugar, nuts and dried fruit plus other items to go into the dining room such as salt and pepper shakers)

My salad spinner is within easy reach of the sink - it is in my SuperSusan and I only have to open the first door to reach the spinner and also my pasta drainers. I open the doors the whole way to get to my pasta pot and large sauce pan - which is huge! I can then spin the Susan to get to lesser used items.

What I don't use in my kitchen - the cabinet above the cooktop has some items crockery vases and I think I pulled one out one time. I also store my applesauce maker up there - it was my mom's but I don't make applesauce every year - it is one of these conical things with a wooden stirrer to send the mushed apples through the strainer.

I also don't make press or rolled cookies very often - so they cookie press(also my mom's and maybe older) live on the top shelf of the baking cabinet.

This year, I spatchcocked my turkey and never going back to plain old roasting - so I moved my giant roaster to the basement to make room in the pantry for my DHs older coffee machine that he isn't using right now as we got a Nesspresso for Christmas. - And I put the coffee supplies, a few mugs, and cleaning kit in the cabinet right by the coffee.

Our pull out pantry (we also have a walk-in pantry), we keep our sport food and some easy reach snacks in there as my DH can't seem to find anything in the regular pantry other than the plastic bags for the trash can (he hasn't figured out that I also keep extras in the drawer next to the trash can.

I originally planned to get rid of my countertop oven but it was so nice to me during reno, that I just couldn't do it - so it has a home in the pantry and I have power, so can use it in place.

I added a Vitamix post reno - so needed to modify what went into the drawer. I moved my ice cream maker to the SuperSusan but it might move to the basement as I just don't use it.

When I need extra space - I pull in my portable island (a Boos cart)

Bit of a ramble but I think you get the idea.

• rooandcheese
    9 years ago

daily-ish: silverware, plates/bowls, paper towels, hand towels, storage containers, saran wrap and foil, vitamix, steam oven, trash can, cleaning spray, pot holders, wooden spoons and such, cutting boards, mixing bowls, spices, pantry staples, pots/pans, tea kettle, mugs, water glasses, wine glasses, corkscrew...

weekly-monthly: specialty pots/pans, pressure cooker, toaster oven, regular oven, lesser used spices and ingredients, hand mixer, kitchenaid, food processor, serving bowls, casserole dishes, pasta roller

almost never: vases, rolling pin, cake plate, toaster, coffee machine, juicer, can opener

There is purposely no microwave on my list. We have a basic one now since we don't have a kitchen, but once the remodel is finished it goes!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Daily or more than once a week: tea kettle, coffeepot, coffee, filters, cookie jars with tea, slop bowl (for the used tea bags), sugar bowl, salt/pepper grinder, spice grinder, pots/pans and their lids, small cutting board, paring knife, bread knife, general cutting-things-up knife, veg peeler, spatulas, scrapers, utility spoons, can and bottle openers, measuring cups and spoons, whisks, nutribullet, toaster oven, small to medium baking sheets, silicon or microfiber drain mat, potholder, small mixing bowls, microwave, over the sink colander, storage containers and wraps, napkins, towels, paper towels, jar opener (not the electric, just a silicon grabber), scissors
    whisk brush and dustpan, sponges, hand soap, dish detergents, sink cleanser. Spices, seasonings and vitamins/supplements. Ibuprofen. grocery bags. Water bottles and drink mix. Bag clips. Dog food and dishes; cat is fed in basement. Outlet/spot for charging phone.

Of course, stove, frig, dishwasher, silverware, dishes, glasses, mugs, trash, recycling and compost bins

Weekly to two weeks: Lil Oscar chopper, pizza stone, pizza slicer, mezzaluna, other knives, wok, small corningware/glass-type baking dishes with lids, Geo.Foreman griller, large cutting board, floor cleaner spray, cleaning rag, screwdriver, flashlight, measuring tape, other tapes, stepstool, travel mugs, cookbooks, pens, notepad, nutcracker (for opening stuck bottle caps), Tupperware type pitchers

Monthly: larger baking and roasting dishes, larger mixing bowls, slow cooker, wine glasses, liquor glass, grapefruit spoons, batteries

Rarely: electric mixer, corkscrew, cooling racks, canning jars and accoutrements, trivets, rolling pin, multiple other knifes and utensils, speckled roasting pan, graters, scale, duplicate bowls and casserole dishes

Really never and I should give away: blender, half of the cookbooks, cake pans, muffin tins

I could sort the pantry items in a similar manner -- did include some above

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

to answer your question about the warming drawer:

Mine is in my island across from the oven. I use it every time I make pancakes or French toast; every time we order pizza; every holiday for warming rolls, keeping side dishes warm, etc.; for appetizers served at parties; for keeping my kids' dinners warm if they have a late game or practice and can't eat with the rest of us. It gets used fairly frequently and I find it very handy.

• localeater
    9 years ago

Coming back to this post to respond about the warming drawer, like you I had never had one pre-reno but the stove I purchased came with one.
    My DH and I both love it, and he cares little about the kitchen so the fact that he has expressed an opinion is actually a really big deal. I use it a lot. I have teenage sons, they sleep late on the weekend if they can, they play sports, they are still young teens, 13 and 15m but they pick up jobs where they can like loading hay. Weekend breakfast with pancakes or waffles left in the warming drawer are a delight, enjoying a second glass of wine while a completed dinner rests in the warming drawer- priceless.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

My widget?

Sorry- just read that thread and couldn't help myself!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

There are a lot of nifty things I added to the new kitchen that either didn't exist 20 years ago or I didn't know it existed. Thanks GW!

Our greatest kitchen 'addition' that is used daily...the tapmaster!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I don't think anyone mentioned storage containers for leftovers. My DH cooks in quantity, and we eat leftovers for lunch most days. Definitely a "use every day"!

One thing that gets used almost daily in our kitchen is a pull-out cutting board. If I had thought of it, I would have put another one on the other side of the kitchen. The one we have is next to the stove, and used for chopping veggies . DH wishes we had one near the fridge, to use when making salads or sandwiches.