Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ootm_mom

Onyx countertop?

OOTM_Mom
10 years ago

Hello, we have been looking for our countertop. We went to another supplier and found this slab, it's an Onyx, and it's "leathered" not polished. They said it was harder than a marble, but not as tough as a granite. Has anyone used this type of material, or have any opinions about it?

Thank you!

This post was edited by OOTM_Mom on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 6:05

Comments (15)

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a closeup. It looks like large crystals, varying colors.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Looks more like a quartzite and sounds like it too from the description. Onyx is very soft and is softer than marble, not harder.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about onyx but that is an incredibly gorgeous stone!

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

We use to have a poster on here awhile back...pharaoh. He had the most gorgeous kitchen and used back lit onyx on his island. It was beyond spectacular.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Lord I love google...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pharaoh's island

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Cool rock!

Those crystals are most likely either quartz or calcite. It's also possible that the different areas might have different properties. So this is one where you'd really need a sample to do the glass scratch tests and some etching and staining tests before you fall totally in love with it.

The link below takes you to one of the rock threads with instructions about how to do the scratch test. Good luck!

Karin

Here is a link that might be useful: rocks in the kitchen

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm trying not to fall in love with it...I have not seen a quote yet. I guess I have some homework to do.

That Pharoah Island was wild! I wonder if I could light it from under in my island!

I really hope it's not soft. Although all I have ever had for counter is laminate, and I havent dented or cut it, wouldnt almost anything be stronger than laminate?

You guys rock! Thank you for the links!

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Actually, laminate is pretty bomber stuff. Plenty of rocks are weaker than laminate so I wouldn't use that as your benchmark.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Be sure to read Karin-mt's threads. She is so helpful and knowledgable.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

"Actually, laminate is pretty bomber stuff. Plenty of rocks are weaker than laminate so I wouldn't use that as your benchmark"

You betcha! I still don't understand why more people don't choose laminate. It stands up to abuse much better then MANY stones do.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I stayed in a Mexican town where the major industry is mining and fabricating the "banded calcite" often sold as onyx.

The floor tiles, wall tiles, bathtubs and sinks in the hotel were all made of it. It scratches and etches easily.

TRUE onyx is harder, and way more expensive.

• jecable
    9 years ago

Did you end up choosing the onyx? My husband and I fell in love with a lighter colored lady onyx, also leathered. Curious to know how it actually handles in the kitchen with the onyx being softer. I'm also hoping that the leathered finish helps make it more protective from scratches and possibly chips? Thanks for any feedback!

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not go with the Onyx. When I tried to scratch a shot glass on an edge, it powdered, a lot. Was too chicken to use it. Although I did end up with a leathered marble (fantasy brown), and so far so good with it. Got two chips in the marble from the construction guys after it was installed, but they repaired it nicely. Have a couple of etches, but cant really see them. Here is the island during install.

Good luck! The Onyx was a looker, but I'm happy with my end selection.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Wow, that's super pretty OOTM, you did great!

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Sigh...I think Onyx was put on earth to teach us to resist temptation!

As a material, while gorgeous looking, Onyx is extremely soft and absorbent - and brittle to boot. If you plan to use your countertop for regular cooking/ chopping/ etc, you are going to have a surface which has scratches (and it can't pass off as patina) and stains and at worst can crack.

Granite is the most durable natural stone and hence the reason why I plugged my ears, walked past those Onyx siren songs and chose granite.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert