Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoregirl_veggie

Finally.. almost finished pictures

shoregirl_veggie
14 years ago

Hi All,

I'm 'almost' done! We still need a backsplash (any ideas??!!) but I really can't 'think' any more! I'm also going to call JCPenney's for custom valences over the sliders and the window in the mudroom. (That's a mudroom behind the television hutch).

I don't post too often, but I read ALL THE TIME!

Thanks to Bhuel and Rhome and so many others!

I started planning last summer when you helped me with my plan. Then, when I had issues with my hood (we ditched the wood facade and went with stainless) you were there to help. And, when I had a meltdown over the height of my bar, you were there. And,so many other times that your posts have helped me. Thank you.

This was an expansion. Unfortunately, I don't have any 'before' pictures. The original kitchen ended about in the middle of the main sink. The breakfast nook and mudroom are the new space. The expansion also included a deck.

Our contractor, who had done 3 other reno's for us, backed out at the last minute. (Remind me to tell you that story). We've known our plumber for 23 years and our electrician for 10. So, we asked them for recommendations ("If you were doing this expansion, who would you use?") We interviewed and selected the contractor quickly. We were nervous. But, it worked out great. Since we had many of our own subs, DH GC'd the job.

The mudroom has worked out great. We can enter from the garage or from the back yard and get to the bathroom without going thru the rest of the house. (Very important for backyard parties).

Some kitchen details.....

We already had the KA refrigerator, so we recessed it and built the space for an eventual wider counter depth. We need to add moldings. We also had the Miele dishwasher.

We sold our 30" Viking to the guy who did our floors and replaced with a 36" 6 burner AG and a 42" hood. Thanks to all who recommended going with the wider hood.

We bought the Marval beverage center -- love having it, just wish it got a little colder. (I've read on here that there's an adjustment that can be made. I still need to look into that.) I had bought the Advantium and wall oven last summer (it was a good online sale) and they sat in a guest bedroom for months. We were very happy that they worked when we finally installed them. I liked how the chunky handles sort of matched the Viking.

Our granite is coastal green and the cabinets are Kraft Maid Rutherford in Pecan. (We nixed the glaze to save costs and don't miss it at all.) The television hutch was custom made by a carpenter friend of ours and it's more of a cherry color. We continued the granite on the top to tie it to the cabinets.

Thanks again to all for your help.... I couldn't have gotten thru this without this forum.

Here are some pictures

Thanks again.

Comments (24)

• nonnyx2
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I love your choice of the Coastal Green Granite!
    You certainly made some great choices!
    Congratulations on a kitchen remodel that is so beautiful!

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Great kitchen! I love the glass doors on the cabinets - beautiful! That walk-in pantry looks fantastic! And what a great view you have from your breakfast nook! It's all lovely - enjoy!!

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

It all came together so nicely! Congratulations!
    Lisa

• mitri89
    14 years ago

Looks like you did a very nice job! Love the beverage center and tv hutch. I share your sentiments about this forum.:-)

• alice462
    14 years ago

What a beautiful light-filled space -- congrats on a wonderful transformation, it is lovely.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Ahhhh, very nice! I'm still in the planning state -- can you tell me about your main sink and faucet? And your mini- pendants -- love them! What are they?

Congrats!

• biochem101
    14 years ago

That Coastal Green granite is lovely! Really like how you used the little space around the refrigerator. Very nice.

Enjoy your new space!

• shoregirl_veggie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thaks to all for your feedback.
    RJR220-- My main sink is a Franke Orca. It's pretty popular on this site. I love it. It's so big and useful. Besides fitting a lot of dishes, I can also drain/dry a few on one side, while still using the other. Also, cleanup of large pots/pans is so much easier now.
    It has a ledge and accessories available, but I haven't purchased any yet. I think I will buy the right hand side grid to add another level for draining.
    Both faucets are Kohler Simplice, of different sizes. We're also very happy with them.
    Please let me know if you need any other info or pictures.
    Thanks.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I like that the kitchen doesn't look overdone-it still retains a seaside casualness.

• shoregirl_veggie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops. Sorry, RJR220, I forgot about the pendants.
    We purchased those about 8 years ago for the old kitchen. We liked them so much, we kept them. Since we raised the ceiling, we needed to purchase additional nickel extension rods so they would hang at the right height. I know they're a little modern for our kitchen, but we really liked them.
    We purchased them from a local merchant but here's the link at Kichler:

ps My followup keeps getting rejected. I just changed the subject a little. Hope this gets posted this time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushed nickel pendant lights

• marcy96
    14 years ago

You kitchen is beautiful! I love your choices of cabinets and stain, granite and flooring - it all ties together so well. You designed a great space - I'm sure it's a pleasure to cook in it now! Enjoy!

• shoregirl_veggie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I'm not very experienced at posting pictures. I had resized my photos (close to 400x300) but they are so small and grainy on Photobucket.
    Not sure if these are easier to see? Actually, they seem grainy, too. Not sure what I'm doing wrong? Maybe it's the photographer.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Beautiful space. Love your fridge section. And the corner pantry is excellent!

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

I can see these much better! Now I can say that I also love your pendant lights and your floor!! Again, great job!

• lindiver
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! It seems that you've maximized the space and have plenty of room for everything. The color choices on all of the surfaces makes it a soothing, happy place. Enjoy!
    I also love your canal out back. Are you on LI? We live in Lindenhurst.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love how the granite and tile in the other room go so well with each other and the granite's edge is so nice. What is your granite's edge called? I love the coloring of your kitchen cabinets. I love your Pantry! I have the same step ladder in white but my pantry is too small to fit it in there so I have to keep it in the other room.

Thanks for sharing.

• shoregirl_veggie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone!
    Mamalyn... the pix are clearer and larger now than when I previewed. Thanks.

Thanks, lindiver. We're actually in Toms River, NJ. Can't wait for Spring. Are you a boater?

Lynn2006... thanks for the kind words. The granite edge is ogee.

• lindiver
    14 years ago

Yes, I'm generally out in the Great South Bay in the summer. I dock my boat in the canal behind my brother's house, which is narrower than yours, but still similar. Ah, for the summer--not only warm weather, but the construction will be finished. :-)

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Oh my I love your kitchen, but I admit my eye kept moving toward your lovely view and the gorgeous location! The slate and green counters are really nice together and the rattan chairs complete the whole picture. Such a great job!

• starpooh
    14 years ago

Hi! May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog.... even though you backsplash isn't done? We can always update your post with new photos when you are 100% complete.
    If so then please submit the FKB Checklist to give your permission.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• shoregirl_veggie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Starpooh,
    Is it ok if I wait for the window treatments? I feel like that will add some color and finish it off. It shouldn't be too much longer! The backsplash otoh might take much longer. I'll need to post here for some help with that.
    If that's ok, I'll repost as soon as the window treatments are up.
    Thanks!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

OMG... I love your barstools and dining set. The view is amazing and I love your choices. The back of your island with the stools reminds me of my prposed layout. Now if it only s gets re-started!! Great job... enjoy!

• starpooh
    14 years ago

Of course it's ok :-) But your kitchen is awesome even without the window treatments & backsplash!
    Just let me know when you're ready.

• Connie Wiener
    9 years ago

Wow! Just came upon your post today, all these months later! Hello fellow Toms River gal.

We also have green granite, but much darker than yours, and until now, have been convinced we had to stay with white cabinets to off-set the darkness when we reface. Your cabinets work beautifully. (we even have the wood floors-but not that gorgeous view!)

Thanks for posting your pics. Cant wait to see your backsplash. That's another hang-up of mine. We had installed white glass backsplash, which was beautiful in itself. But too bland with the white cabinets. To our benefit, their was a problem with the installation, and the company installing is going to redo whatever we now choose. So hurry up and show me your backsplash completed!

Please look past my filthy drawer. All drawers, doors, drawer fronts, and upper cabinetry has been replaced since this photo.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH