Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Take three, layout with kohler stages 45

crl_
9 years ago

Below is a link to my most recent previous layout thread.

This kitchen is in a 1926 French revival house. I would like to save the original Hoosier style cabinets that are noted as "original built-ins". Moving any of the doors is difficult to impossible.

The sink run is not standard depth and cannot be made standard depth without destroying the original built-ins. The dishwasher does fit in this run.

In an ideal world I would have double wall ovens and a secondary sink. But it is a small kitchen in an old house so I'm trying to fit in a below counter speed oven as a second oven and substituting the kohler stages 45 sink with two faucets for two separate sinks. I'm still not entirely convinced that a secondary sink next the exterior door wouldn't be superior, but dh definitively prefers the one big sink solution and I'm intrigued enough by the stages to go with it.

This layout expands the broom closet over previous layouts because when pressed to eliminate it entirely I realized it is crucial storage. There is no other good place for the broom, step stool or vacuum anywhere inside the house (no basement, garage is detached). Expanding the broom closet bumped the speed oven to the wall with the range.

I tried to leave a spacer for the speed oven to prevent difficulties opening it. The door is about 17 inches tall so it should open completely. The vertical storage won't have a pull so there shouldn't be a conflict there. Will the drawer below it open completely?

I also left three inches for the pullout next to the exterior door to allow for the door molding. I plan to store dog food there. Should I just go with a 12 inch cabinet rather than a pullout?

Thanks to everyone who commented on my previous threads and for any further feedback!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous layout thread

Comments (14)

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

I havn't followed the other thread but if you use a Miele 24 inch speed oven that give you 6 extra inches for storage on that run. People are selling the speed only ovens used now that there is a new combi speed/steam.You will probably do all your prepping on the sink run so the counter over the speed oven will probably be used for small countertop appliances anyhow.

What about decreasing your changing your dw to the breakfast nook side of the sink, you could have a 24 inch cabinet where the DW currently is in your diagram and a perpendicular 42 or 48 inch wide cabinet forming a short 18-24 inch peninsula towards the fridge. In that 42 or 48 inch cabinet you could have a double doored 18 or 24 inch wide cabinet that holds pots that can be loaded from the sink side and accessed from the stove side. You could make the "blind end" into a 24 inch drawer stack that faces the cooktop side for additional pot storage; not as handy for putting pots away but may be a good tradeoff. This small peninsula will give you the counterspace to put your prepped foods on that are ready for cooking at the range or pop into the oven. but remains small enough to not be a barrier.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

I would prefer the bigger oven over more storage space.

I originally had the dishwasher in the breakfast nook side, but someone pointed out that it would block that doorway when open so after some thought I switched it though I would generally prefer it on the right side of the sink.

A pennisula would be really in the way there wouldn't it? It would block off the exterior door from the rest of the room creating a very tight aisle funneling people right into the range. And I would have to walk around it to get from the sink to the range. Plus it would just create another corner and right in the middle of my workspace. I hate working in corners. It seems like it would just create a lot of problems for the sake of a few extra inches of counterspace.

I am hoping one of the touted benefits of the kohler stages 45, that you use the sink as your prep space, will pan out for me.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

It sounds like you have really thought this through so unless you get large red flags go with your instincts. When I posted my plans I got a lot of criticism and suggestions, many of which were invaluable but some of which made no sense to me since I had been living with a similar layout of 25 years and did not see the huge perceived negatives that some did.

You will def use the Stages as your primary prep area. I have a shallow flat drainboard routed in my soapstone on the side of the Stages sink that does not have the ledge; that adds additional drying space but also does not take away from my prep area. You could consider that on one or both sides for additional functionality (cost was about $270 for one side).

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I have gotten a lot of feedback here and appreciate all of it!

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

I would prefer a pullout to a cabinet, but have you considered having the door to the 12" cabinet on the side instead of the front? It might make the cabinet contents easier to access.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hadn't thought of that at all. That's an interesting idea! I think what will be stored in the twelve inches to the left of the dishwasher will be ziplock bags and aluminum foil and dish soap and the like. I wonder if a pull out or a side openning door would be better for that? Hmm.

For the twelve inches next to the exterior door in the range run, I'm thinking that's where I will store the dog food. Seems like a pull out with trash can would be good? But maybe a regular cabinet would be cheaper and since I would only be accessing it twice a day?

Thank you!

• Liz
    9 years ago

the space btwn sink and exterior door seems to your primary prep space, right? (I have a similar layout and that is where I prep)

if so, consider swapping your 12" pullout cab with the 36" drawers. That would extend the primary prep space by a noticeable amount. Plus keep your prep work from spilling into the doorway..

And/or perhaps change the configuration to an 18" pull out & a 24" drawer bank.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elizabethday, I'm sorry I'm not following. The space on each side of the sink is equal because it is centered in the run. So I'm not seeing how I can switch the 36 drawers and the 12 inch pull out? D/w means dishwasher so I can't change the size of that. . . .

• Liz
    9 years ago

it would make the sink not centered. So you would have more counterspace on the side closer to the range.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, got it. Thank you. I feel pretty strongly about symmetry on this wall, even at the cost of function.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Oh, I remember well your previous thread as I drooled and drooled over your original built-ins. I like the new plan. I think the Kohler sink with two faucets is a great solution.

If it were me, I'd be putting a 12" drawer stack on that end run for plastic wrap and such. So much more convenient than a cabinet or pull-out, imho.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

Looks like it's taking shape nicely! Adding the broom closet and moving the frig toward the corner will make that corner harder to use. But if that's your only space for cleaning items it makes sense.
    Btw, I was browsing the Heath ceramics site and came across your clock.. Can't wait to see it hanging in your finished kitchen!

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

My heath clock is very carefully stored in anticipation of future use! You might be right on a twelve inch drawer stack. I'll give that some thought.

I'll add the built in picture here just in case anyone is curious. The plan is to re-enamel the pull out countertop and paint these built ins blue, while the new cabinets will be white.

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

I totally missed the 12 inch cabinet that you are planning to use for your doggie food. I thought you were referring to the 12 inch by the DW. I like the idea of drawers as well. I really have come to hate having to dig something out of the back of a cabinet - even a narrow one!