Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rightdi_gw

It's been a minute...and I need you, again!

rightdi_gw
9 years ago

Hello all! After "using" all your insight, expertise, and opinions, my kitchen is almost finally done. I had to step away from these forums, because honestly I was addicted and couldn't make any decisions without searching here first. I am someone that becomes paralyzed when faced with many decisions. We are building a new home and I'm overwhelmed. I understand these are "blessed problems" to have. But, trust me, there have been plenty. Well, they put the granite yesterday and I went today to see it. I only have one word to describe how I feel....underwhelmed!!! I feel so guilty! My hubby has bent over backwards to please me and get everything we wanted. I understand it's an unfinished project, I understand there is more filth than shine, I understand that things have to be fixed, but I was expecting butterflies and not tears. So here are my pics...what do you think? (I don't know how to post more than one at a time) How were your kitchens at this phase? Has HOUZZ ruined me?

Comments (17)

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Disregard the backsplash...that's just needed for closing due to code. We are working on searching for backsplash.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

I think it's very pretty but it's hard to see well from the photo. I think finding the right backsplash will really show off the granite beautifully! It looks both subtle AND interesting - something I think is very hard to do.

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, isn't the seam supposed to be more "seamless"??? Stovetop is still missing...

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

It's going to be a very nice kitchen. Once you have your things in there, with the lights shining on your cabinets and counters, the appliances in, and some folks sitting at the island it is going to feel great.

• User
    9 years ago

Is that seam right in front of the cook top? I don't like it no matter where it is. There could be a better match of stone pattern.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

It looks beautiful! I almost gasped when I scrolled down and saw your first picture. Your dark cabinetry is striking and I really like the granite with it. I agree with laughable, once you can make it yours you will love it!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

You have some beautiful details in your cabinetry. Your kitchen will be gorgeous, however, I understand your feelings of being slightly underwhelmed. I'm there too with mine also. I hope to gain some insight from your post responses.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I don't have a remodelled kitchen, new build or anything, but looking at those two un-related pieces of granite and the seam would drive me crazy. I would want a much better match than the one they installed.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Although I am not crazy about the seam, I will say I think your kitchen is going to be beautiful! I love the dark cabinets and light counters together. I think you are having a hard time envisioning the completed kitchen. Once you get your backsplash and appliances in, I think you will love it. A backsplash is like the icing on the cake, the last finishing touch that will pull it all together beautifully. Its lovely - seriously!

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

It's like getting dressed for a party. You have your dress on, but no makeup, shoes, scarf, jewelry or purse. You will get more excited when the bling starts to arrive. Bling is the appliances, lighting fixtures, backsplash and drawer pulls. Until you put them on, you won't get all excited.

The exciting part is just about to start.

• mark_rachel
    9 years ago

The seam is not the best, but I really like the look of your kitchen. A simple backsplash, appliances & hardware will be icing on the cake. I think it looks great. I understand a bit of a let down, but you will get there.

• capeterson_tx
    9 years ago

It's beautiful!! I love the granite and the cabinetry. It will look fantastic when finished!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"Although I am not crazy about the seam, I will say I think your kitchen is going to be beautiful!"

I agree with this. the seam could be better - talk to them about it. watch for more input on it. I'm not the best on help there cause I don't have granite and have no plans for it either - so no experience in it but what I read on here and see in pics.

I do think it is great granite tho. Beautiful with your cabs. Do understate the BS so not to overwhelm the granite. It is beautiful in its simplicity.
    and I'm sure the granite is even better than I think but I'm viewing it sideways... lol!

• JAD87 D
    9 years ago

River white, right? We just selected that for a bath. It is stunning, and especially beautiful with the dark cabinets you have. Good luck.

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!! Your kind words are making me take a second look at my kitchen. Sigh...I was just looking forward to this for so long that the lack of WOW surprised me. Good to know many of you felt this way at this stage. I will keep you all posted with new pics as things move along.
    As far as the seam, I am kind of furious! However, I can't blame my fabricator 100%. We went specifically to pick the layout of how the slab was going to be cut. I was adamant about cutting the slab at that location because I wanted the cooktop to cut out my least favorite part of the slab. I didn't realize how different the merge of the slab would look. I am going to ask him to come back and work on the actual seam, maybe polish or something.
    Here's a sneak peak at the Kitchen Faucet we are installing: Kohler Vinnata in Polished Nickel. :)

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

It looks so elegant, and very high end with your cabinet/top contrast. Beautiful kitchen and as others have said once you install the hardware, that gorgeous faucet etc. it should come together to make you so proud and happy every time you use it.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

I love it! You don't need everything in your kitchen to be a star. Subtle is good. I think the granite is very pretty and once you put your cooktop in, it will take away that big contrast area as well as draw your eye away from the seam. I was really unhappy about them putting a seam right in front of my sink because to me it was such a visible area. But now it is such a non issue that I just ran in to the kitchen to see if it is actually there.
    One thing I did learn in decorating: underwhelmed is better than overwhelmed. I bought a real fancy backsplash with the help of a friend and the store "decorator". Brought home a few pieces of it for a mock up and hated it. I ended up with plain old cheap subway tile and love it. It is the perfect backdrop for my "stuff", and I have more flexibility in other things - wall color, towels, appliances, etc. Your kitchen is beautiful, enjoy it.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations