Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

$5k kitchen renovations (in progress reveal) - two at once

lovetorenovate
10 years ago

I'm renovating a 1950's brick two story duplex. One side had original cabinets the other some white mills pride melamine, both had layers and layers of vinyl flooring. The stove floated alone on the outside wall, the fridge opposite.

New cabinets were found at the Habitat Restore for $599 for one side/a less complete side on the other for $300. Granite in baltic brown/new caledonia for $1,000 each kitchen, Restore (re-used) undermount stainless double bowl sinks for $25 and $35. We pulled up all the vinyl and found pine, which we are in the midst of having sanded and stained. We invested a lot of time in running the duct through the ceiling for a real vented range - particularly since we prefer a gas range. I'm not sure the future tenants will care, but I always try to create a space that I would enjoy living in.

I think in the end, each kitchen will have cost just under $5,000 (including all new GE stainless steel appliances - fridge, gas range, dishwasher, and over the range microwave/hood). My husband and I did most of the labor, with the exception of our HVAC guys running the vent duct through the ceiling and out the existing hole in the brick. I do sometimes forget to include the cost of paint, small pieces of trim, etc - so perhaps another 10-20% would make for a more accurate final number. Although I did sell the existing ranges and fridges on craigslist - so maybe that covers my extras and I can still squeak by on $5k.

kitchen one (in this photo the stove is sitting across the room from the stove outlet and vent - not sure what the seller was trying to do - convince someone it wasn't such a horrible kitchen?):

project design plan

working with restore cabinets - I'll have some open shelves to build

Kitchen 2 (I'm a little late on the before shot):

this was my plan for this side - but the cabinets weren't complete enough - I had to use some of the white ones from side 1 - so I'm painting them all gray on bottom, grayish cream on the top.

and today with sanded floors - will be staining over the weekend.

After the floors (which I'm hoping with a stain of dark walnut/provincial, they will blend enough that it doesn't look quite as bad), I "only" need to finish painting cabinets, install backslashes (got another restore bargain on 3x6 subway tile in white and cream at under $1/ft so that's the plan now), paint remaining walls, touch up ceilings, hang new light fixtures, add cabinet hardware, build a banquette and table, and get the appliances delivered.

Some days it feels like so much work until it'll be done and other days I'm so happy with how far it's come along. I'm kind of kicking myself I didn't switch the flooring to all oak - but the budget is tight on this project and maybe I've been watching too much rehab addict.

We've already upgraded the electrical panels (which removed sub panels in the kitchen but required a lot of drywall work), added central air, it previously had window units, (not sufficient in the south), and painted all the walls/trim. Oh, and dealt with a massive flooring/water leak issue that destroyed the floor/subfloor of one bath and ceiling of the kitchen below (you can see a mess of falling plaster in the picture of the gutted kitchen 2).

These are the 9th and 10th kitchens I've renovated since 1997 when I bought my first house as a young single girl, probably way over my head, and learned to renovate one project at a time. Since then I've really enjoyed the design challenges, the inevitable problem resolution, the cast of crazy sub contractors I use, and the joy of seeing a finished product that made my house beautiful (if only in my eyes). Now it's fun to share this with my kids too... they don't watch a single home renovation show without saying "mommy, I know you could do that...".

I've learned of so many great ideas/products through garden web - I really appreciate this forum. And there are so many really amazing, drool worthy kitchens here! And I also think sometimes it's good to see the ones on a really tight budget - so that those without the money for even the "average kitchen remodel" realize there are other options and maybe even some hope to have their dream kitchen too.

I'll try to post again (in my spare time, lol) when I've got backslashes up, appliances in, and some final details completed.

Thanks for looking. Suggestions welcome if you have any ideas!

Comments (14)

• theultimatebikerchic
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You go girl!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Very nice! Love how things are coming along! I love how many DIY ladies we have here. I may still get some odd glances at the supply stores, but GW is proof I'm not alone. Such a good model for the kids too, I bet they feel like they could do anything if they really wanted to, just like Mom.

I hope you are able to post some updates as you go. I'd love to see how things turn out. I learned about the ReStore and Green Demolitions from GW, and it's really inspired me to try some more creative projects.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

That's freakin fantastic!!

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Amazing! Are you rehabbing the units to use as rentals or for sale? Either way, you'll have lucky tenants or buyers!

• enduring
    10 years ago

I showed this post to my DH and he made a comment to expand upon your children's remarks "mommy, I know you could do that...". He loved it and said something like "she has instilled in her children confidence and it won't be long before they say 'mommy can do it and so can I'."

BTW your kitchen's (don't say that often:) are lovely. May you and others have many happy times and lovely meals in them.

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

You rock!!! And, thanks for the tip to go to Restore. I want some cabinets for the basement kitchenette and forgot about the store. Love your work!!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Great job and post. Nice to see some budget jobs here.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Love the post and it is so awesome to see in progress pics. Looks like you're doing an amazing job! Lucky tenants!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Love the post and it is so awesome to see in progress pics. Looks like you're doing an amazing job! Lucky tenants!

• xand83
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what a Habitat Restore is, but those cabinets look great. The whole project is looking good, too. Please post pics when you finish!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm in awe. THIS is why I don't want to see budget kitchens separated into their own forum.

Those maple cabinets are beautiful at any price. Under $600, hahahaha, in a good way. :)

I wish more landlords had adopted your principle of doing a place in a way they'd like themselves.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Habitat Restore is a store that tells new and used items and the money benefits Habitat for Humanity. Sometimes contractors will donate good cabinets and other items that they pulled out of a house. Sometimes stores donate items like when a custom order gets cancelled or a some style gets discontinued or they just have a surplus of an item.

Great job! Love your choices. Perfect examples of kitchens that will look a lot more expensive than they were.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love these kind of posts!

Now, talking about budget, our Restore has crappy cabinets and stuff that are still outrageously high. Only positive is that they have these random sales when certain things are 50% off.

• ardcp
    10 years ago

this is truly amazing! i am in awe of your thriftiness, vision and knowledge! want to come to my house next?!