Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Another hardware proportion question

zaphod42
10 years ago

I'm now leaning toward a larger collection that offers bars in a wider range of styles. How do you determine what size bar? Can I use an 8" bar on a 42" H cabinet? Can I go smaller? Do I need to go larger? What about on drawers? On my earlier post, someone mentioned filling 1/3 of the width. Is that the general guideline? Thank so much!

Comments (10)

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

I'm new here, but was curious & found this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread w/ link to an even older one...

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Google (& the search engine here) are keeping me busy. I've been thinking about this, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: And Another

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I'm really happy with the combination of 6" and 14" pulls.

Here is a link that might be useful: 6 & 14 inch pulls

This post was edited by GauchoGordo1993 on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 21:29

• sena01
    10 years ago

If you'll go with a modern look, I'd say 1/2 width of the cab, if not modern then I guess 1/3 (for a single pull) is the most preferred.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

If you'll go with a modern look, I'd say 1/2 width of the cab, if not modern then I guess 1/3 (for a single pull) is the most preferred

Those are probably correct as design guidelines, but our cabinets are very modern, and we went with a combination of 9" (on the 36" drawers, as well as on one 24" drawer, but that was a mistake -- that we are not going to change) and 6" (everywhere else except the dishwasher, which is 12"), and really like the proportions and functionality.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

My upper cabinets are 39 inches and I used 10 inch pulls on all of them except for doors above my refrigerator. I also used 10 inch pulls for base doors even though they are shorter than the upper doors. On the drawers I used 4 different sizes so that the length of the pull was approximately half of the drawer width. My 36 inch wide drawers actually have an 18 inch pull. I was glad to find a line of pulls (Hickory Hardware's Greenwich collection) that came in so many sizes.
    I have posted this picture many times over the last 2 years but here it is once again so you can see how the longer pulls look. I think 8 inches would be fine on your upper cabinets but you could go a little bigger if you want.

Here is a close up of the pull

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

You can use whatever size pleases your eye! Go to a big box store and get some similar to the design you want, in different sizes, and try them out (with masking tape) -- or make various sized photocopies of the pulls to try.

I used 5" pulls everywhere; thought about larger ones for the large drawers, but since the pull itself is not a delicate design, and the kitchen is pretty small, felt that larger would be too much. I am pleased with the look of the same pull on everything. My cabs go to 42" also.

If you have a lot of space, then I would think that larger pulls will help pull the space together, like you see in badgergals kitchen above. Of course, it depends on the design of your cabinets, too.

• salex
    10 years ago

Badgergal, your kitchen is gorgeous! I am considering the same pulls for my kitchen and was wondering how deep the center of the pull is? In other words, will I be able to fit my fingers behind the bar to actually "pull" the pull?

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Salex, you should not have any difficulty getting your fingers behind the bar to actually "pull" the pull. My husband likes the pulls because they fit his large hands. The specs say the projection is 1-3/8 inches. Not sure how that compares to other pulls but it is certainly enough for my DH and I.
    If you decide on the pulls be sure to check local cabinet and door hardware speciality stores if you have any in your area. I got mine at such a store and they were actually cheaper than the websites I looked at and they were able to order all the sizes that I wanted. Many of the websites do not have all the sizes. The local store I went to sold them at 30% off MSRP.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I don't think there are any "rules" it's whatever you like.
    My kitchen is about as far from modern as you can get, but I chose long pulls, from 1/3 to 1/2 of drawer width, because I like the way they look and feel...

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz