Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willowdecor_gw

Willow Decor's Kitchen Posted!!

willowdecor
15 years ago

Well here it is - I hope you like it!

Thanks to everyone for all their help and inspiration! It would never have turned out as well with out you!

xxx-G.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow Decor's Kitchen

Comments (54)

• alaskangirl
    15 years ago

Love what you've done. How do you like your Clemson pendants? I'm thinking about splurging on two for above my island. I have 8 foot ceilings, and I really want something dramatic and eye catching up there.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

just gorgeous! you did such a nice job.

• sunnyd_2008
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen
    love the fireplace area and butlers pantry
    You did a great job!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

I love everything, especially the Calcutta marble!
    What color paint did you use on your walls? On my monitor it looks like a pretty shade of gray.

• redroze
    15 years ago

I love the boxed-in area above the range - very unique and lovely. Your x-cabinets are also great. And your accessories are divine. Fantastic job!

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the details:
    The wall color is Fieldstone (I think its BM #1558)Cabinet, ceiling and trim color is BM White Dove.
    Bin pulls are RH, Ice box latches are Cliffside, knobs were here when I moved in.
    The Clemson pendants are great - and if you search here someone will surely give you a RH coupon code.
    Subway tiles are Bianca from Horus Art, Backsplash box out is Ann Sacks Herringbone Calcutta-white sanded grout.
    Soapstone is Santa Rita Venata from M. Tex. in NJ
    Beadboard is real wood tongue and groove, not pressed.
    Sink is Houzer, Faucets are KWC.
    Stove is Wolf, DW is Miele, Fridge is SubZero.
    Wood is white oak with special dark walnut stain.
    I think that covers it all! Hope that helps! :)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I knew we were in for a treat after seeing your butler's pantry. Like that masterpiece, the kitchen is amazing. All cool colors in black, white, and gray, but it added so much warmth and character to your home!

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rhome-Thanks so much for your kind comments. I know the pictures make the colors look cool but actually they are very warm tones. The gray has a lot of brown and yellow in it and the Calcutta is much more creamy than grayish. The soapstone has a lot of white/cream and green veining. I was very nervous to use BM Fieldstone gray because I was afraid it would read cold (especially in the New England winter), but it is has proven to be a very nice warm neutral. It is close to RH Silver Sage, just a bit muddy and browner.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL. I love everything you did but most of all how you used your inspiration kitchens to realize your dreams

• chaimama
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting- love so many elements of the space. I have been searching for a similar shaped hood for our range(also thinking of the wolf) without much luck. Can you give me the hood details. Does it have a remote blower etc?

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Lovely,lovely,lovely kitchen. So well thought out and really appreciate the way you described your process and the use of your inspiration photos. Thank you for sharing with us and I really enjoy your blog. So glad you are a part of GW.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chaimama:
    The hood was here when I bought the house. I am not sure the manufacturer. It is an external vent that vents up into my attic and thru my roof.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Willow

What wise choices - the careful attention to every detail has transformed this space into a much more inviting and invigorating place. You have given the kitchen the justice it deserves -
    I like that you call it "minor" reno - seems this wasn't minor - Even the fireplace looks as though it's always been there - That must have been a major undertaking?

Really lovely touches and attention to detail - Loved your butlers pantry - I would never tire of looking at that. Can't wait to see the rest
    ?what yr & style is the house

Enjoy!

• amck2
    15 years ago

I'm not here as regularly as I was, but am glad I checked in and got to see your kitchen. It's beautiful. My favorite part is the niche behind the range - oh, and how you transformed the fireplace. It's all lovely!

• katieob
    15 years ago

Love it! Great transformation!

Uh oh. Now I want the X mullions.

I would just stroll around the kitchen and pantry all day if I were you...

I was so happy to see you used BM White Dove and icebox latches (they arrived yesterday and are so hefty and pretty). We're using both and I'm so pleased with how they look in your lovely kitchen!

Well done, Enjoy.

• katieob
    15 years ago

Two quick questions~

Are your cabinets beaded? If so, does the icebox latch work okay on them?

Where did you hide your TV equipment (cable box, DVD)? Behind the clock?

Thanks v. much,
    Katie

• madaboutkitchens_gw
    15 years ago

Wow- super pretty kitchen! I'm planning a similar partial renovation in my own kitchen. Are your x-mullion doors new or retrofitted into the old doors? I've been wondering if something like this is possible with old doors. I'm so insprired by what you've done!

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jejvtr:
    My house is a 1930's Royal Barry Wills Colonial.

The kitchen part of the renovation was actually minor, relative to the scale of the project. I did not buy any new cabinets (excluding the two uppers). We did not move any electrical or plumbing. We replaced counters with soapstone, added the box out behind the stove, a bit of tile, one sink and two faucets. I only added two new latches and dozen bin pulls. Our huge cost savings came in repainting the original cabinets and not moving anything major. I had already replaced the appliances a few years earlier when I moved in. (Though in the before pictures they all look very new they were actually 18 years old)

The major part of the renovation was adding the breakfast room with slate roof, upgrading the family room with mantle and fireplace, and of course the pantry. The overall project was major, but the actual kitchen part, I think had a huge impact, for the relatively low cost.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Katieob-
    My cabinets are not beaded, though I love those- I just painted over my original overlay cabinets. The latches work fine.

Where did you hide your TV equipment (cable box, DVD)?
    My ugly TV equipment, dvr, sonos, etc. is behind the clock. That is a small hallway to my bath and to the steps down to the basement, part of my center hall to the entry way and dining room. Prior to the renovation it was shelves which I put cookbooks, etc on. My Builder made me matching cabinet doors and we wired everything in there. If you look to the left of the clock you can see our base. It was the only place to put it. I am having a screen made to hide it, but it is not done yet.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Madaboutkitchens:
    My X doors and boxes are new, but you could just get new doors.

• berf
    15 years ago

truly beautiful. you've got a great eye..thanks for sharing!
    Kindly,
    B

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Impressive and beautiful. I have enjoyed your blog about the Butler's Pantry and kitchen. Thanks for the work and love you put in to it.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much for all of your kind comments. I am very humbled. This is a wonderful forum and you all have helped me immensely. xxx-Gina

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some of you asked about the clock in my kitchen. Here is a link to the artist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clock

• trendystamper
    15 years ago

Love your kitchen! Looks so light and happy.
    I have a couple of questions--
    How do you like having the sink in the peninsula? How long is your peninsula? And how do you like the raised overhang (bar or whatever it's called)?
    If this works well for you, I'd like to adopt your plan.
    Thanks for any advice.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trendystamper-
    Thanks for your kind comments. I love the sink in the peninsula - I look right out the windows into my back yard. It is a bit over 8 feet long and the bar part is 15" wide. The raised overhang bar makes a nice place for cocktail at parties and a good shield to dirty dishes as you enter.

• trendystamper
    15 years ago

Willowdecor - thanks for the detailed info, photos, etc. I really love your kitchen.

• positano
    15 years ago

Wow!! I love your kitchen and pantry, and really enjoy your blog. Couple questions for you....

What Clemson lights do you have? They have two, the classic which is smooth milky white glass or the regular one with the clear glass, kind of striped. I'm looking at the 8 inch ones for my kitchen.

Also, I love the paint color on your pantry cabs. I'm looking for a green/grey to go with my Costa Esmerelda and cream cabs.I'm thinking of Fieldstone or the one above it on the same strip named silver song. In person does the Fieldstone look more grey than green?

And what is the name of the paint in your room with the TV and fireplace? It looks gorgeous!

You've done a great job, I love everything. What's your next project?

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Positano-
    My Clemson Pendants measure 14" and the island is a little over 9 and half feet. They are the clear glass ones.

The wall color is #1559 Arctic Shadows. It reads gray green in some lights true gray in others. But it reads very neutral. Depending on your granite it may work.

Thanks for your kind comments! I have two projects coming up - I am re vamping my dining room and I need to do my outdoor landscaping. Keep checking my blog and you will be sure to see it! :)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Willow,
    I really like your Horus Art subway tile backsplash. Do you have any closeup pics of it? Also, is it the 3 X 6 or the 2.5 X 5 size? Thanks!

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pluckymama,
    The tile is 3 X 6 - I chose it because its man made so grout lines would be thinner than handmade tiles. It also has a crackle finish. If you go to my blog and click on the picture it should get larger and you can see the tile close up.

• redlodger
    15 years ago

Willow, thank you for sharing your kitchen with us. It is polished, dignified and elegant. Now....what time was it that you invited me over for tea? ;)

• astridh
    15 years ago

I think your kitchen is gorgeous. Can you tell me where you found your bar stools? I have been looking for something like them.

• positano
    15 years ago

Hey Gina,
    Thanks for getting back to me about the pendants and paint. I was wondering about the Fieldstone color in your pantry. It looks dark on the chip, but light on the cabs. What color does it read as? Arctic Shadows is definitely too dark for me....but Fieldstone or Silver Song above it might work. Does Fieldstone have any green in it...or a true gray?

Thanks!

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

astridh-
    If you look closely you will see my bar stools do not all match. Two I got from a close out sale at a high end retailer and they are no longer available, but the third comes from Ballard Designs- It is called the Campagna Stool.
    I always have luck searching retail-me-not for a Ballard discount coupon code! Best of Luck!!

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

positano,
    Fieldstone reads much lighter on the chip than on the cabinets than on the chip. The walls too, read much lighter. I think the paint is has a high reflective value and both spaces are flooded with natural light. I think the color reads with green in it, but I have friend who see blue gray. My trim is white dove so it pulls the yellow out of the gray to give it more of a green gray feeling. It's a color that is constantly changing though, like a stormy sky. I really like living with it - its a soothing neutral.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry positano, Here it is with out the kids interrupting me....

Fieldstone reads much lighter on the cabinets than on the chip. The walls too, read much lighter. I think the paint has a high reflective value, though both of my spaces are flooded with natural light. I think the color reads with green in it, but I have friends who see blue gray. My trim is white dove so it pulls the yellow out of the gray to give Fieldstone more of a green gray feeling. It's a color that is constantly changing though, like a stormy sky. I really like living with it - its a soothing neutral

• katieob
    15 years ago

Hi Willow Decor.

Can you tell me about your kitchen backsplash? Tile and grout? I love it-classic & simple.

Hope you're enjoying your kitchen & butler's pantry,
    Katie

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Katie,
    My subway tile is machine made Horus Art Bianca Crackle in 3 x 6. I chose machine made because I wanted thin grout lines. The box out is Ann Sacks Herringbone in Calcutta marble. Sides are 12 x12 Calcutta tiles cut to size and the shelf is custom made from a calcutta remnant. All the marble is honed and the grout is white - regular grout on the subway and sanded grout on the herringbone to add more texture. Hope that helps.

• katieob
    15 years ago

Thanks Willow Decor.

Some of your posts have led me to believe you're based in MA. If so, where did you go for your tile (the subway)? I am in Boston.
    Thanks!
    Katie

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Katie,
    I went to Roma tile in Watertown for the Horus Art Subway tile, but you can really get that anywhere. They were very helpful!

My tile guy got the Calcutta 12X12's for me and I went to a stone fabricator to get the shelf done. Your counter person could do this for you. I had a lot of trouble with my counter fabricators (Interior Stone in Waltham-bad bad!!) so I went to a another small shop on Rt 9 on the Framingham/Southboro line.

The Ann Sacks Herringbone I ordered from the Boston Design Center - they have an outstanding collection.

Hope that helps!
    Gina

• katieob
    15 years ago

Gina,

Thanks very much.
    I love the simplicity of the subways. We'll be doing a soapstone perimeter & a calacatta island, so I'm keeping the backsplash pretty basic. I appreciate yours because the grout looks almost invisible. That's what I'm going for. I'll check out Roma.

Have fun shoveling out!
    Katie

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Katie,
    One thing I did not consider when I selected my tiles, but something I really like now is how shiny it is versus my soapstone counters and honed marble. It really adds a nice interest - and the crackle glaze adds a nice textural element. Just a thought for you.

• katieob
    15 years ago

Hi Gina.
    Thanks for the information.

The subways will be the one shiny component to contrast the soapstone, honed marble & satin finish floors. We live in a condo in the city right now with shiny black granite & shiny hardwood~neither of which develops a very attractive patina from the abuse of a 2 year old & a large yellow lab. I am so looking forward to living with matte surfaces!

I'm happy you're pleased with your subways.I am not entirely sure what the "crackle glaze" looks like, though. Do you have any close up backsplash photos?

Thanks,Katie

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a picture from the company (see link) of a different shape tile, but its best to see in person. I do not have any close up pictures of my own. We also have kids and a dog and I love the way these surfaces wear!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crackle Tile photo

• katieob
    15 years ago

Thanks~I'll head out to get some samples this week.
    Take care,
    Katie

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Katie-
    Ask your tile people for an additive that they will mix into the grout to reduce staining. This is essential if you use white grout. I did this and recently my red marinara sauce splashed all over and not one stain on the grout!

• ni_2006
    15 years ago

Hi Gina,

Could you tell me about your experience with Interior Stone in Waltham? I went there yesterday and saw that they carried the Horus Art Bianca subway tile. (I've been looking for tiles for a long time, and I think I really like these tiles.) I am considering purchasing the tiles from them and using their installers, but I want to make sure that I do my research.

TIA!

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ni-
    I had a huge problem with Interior Stone in Waltham installing my marble counters and soapstone surround around my fireplace. They templated the marble wrong and knowing this still installed it - My cabinetmaker told me that in 30 years of business he had never seen such a botch job! They installed my soapstone surround even though it was broken right down the center. They used shady billing practices and charged our credit card 4 days before the work was even done. It cost me close to $1,000. to have my builder fix all their mistakes, and my marble is still not right, but I am so tired of fighting about it - I am just living with it! I also had to fight with American Express to not have them pay Interior Stone the final charge (which luckily we won and did not have to pay). I could go on on - I would NEVER USE THEM AGAIN NOR RECOMMEND them.

They did not do any tile work for me - we used a different person for this. Horus Art is a popular tile and readily available from many tile places (I got mine at ROMA tile in Watertown) Also check around for prices - it's a quick phone call.

If you do use Interior Stone, buyer beware and NEVER give them your credit card!

• ni_2006
    15 years ago

Gina,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You definitely had a nightmare!! I did give Interior Stone my credit card number so that I could borrow the large display samples. I will take the samples back right away and make sure that they don't charge my account.

I will call around for pricing.

Would you be able to share the name of your tile installer (if you were happy with him/her)? Please let me know.

Thanks again!