Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkoebnick

Can you do a rustic lodgy and modern kitchen?

jkoebnick
12 years ago

My husband is a hunter. He likes wood, stone, iron and anything outdoorsy. There is nothing wrong with that, but I like a more modern look. We picked out our cabinets. They will be shaker-style in a knotty alder with a medium stain. The island will be a knotty alder too but with a glazed or washed mustardy cream color. We have handscraped teak floors throughout our house that has varied light, medium and dark tones. We also have a huge stone fireplace in our living room with tans, grays and terra cotta colored big stones. This fireplace is visible from the kitchen. I already purchased the chandelier that will hang over the island (see below). So what should the countertops, backsplash and hardware look like? We have stainless steel appliances. Can I do a rustic and modern kitchen or does it have to be mainly rustic to go with the rest of the house? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

Comments (28)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I don't see why not. I'm no expert, but I think it would make a wonderful combination. The difficult part is finding a balance. What about something like this?
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I have definitely seen modern and rustic pulled of simultaneously, but if the rest of the house is not modern, there's only so far you can go toward modern in the kithcen with an open floor plan. Can you post photos, especially of the fireplace?

Have you thought about quartz counters? I'm very fond of Silestone's Zen series (see link below). I especially like the Gedatsu and Satori, but you'd have to work with your stain color.

I also thought of the backsplashes in this thread that I think are modern but a bit rustic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silestone colors, Zen series is 2/3 down page

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Seems to me your right on track with the chandelier...heavy, but sleek and modern rather than ornate or antique-looking. I think something similar in cabinet hardware would work great...dark (black or oiled bronze), but modern looking rather than vintage. A bar pull or something like this, perhaps:

I think there would probably be a number of granites that would work fine, but one suggestion would be soapstone for the counters, probably a variety without a great deal of veining. Over time (sooner if you oil or wax it), it will darken to nearly black, but have some variation. Here's a pic of mine.

If you search the gardenweb site for soapstone, you'll find lots of different soapstone pictures.

• sochi
    12 years ago

You absolutely can in theory, but it does depend on your house and existing design elements. I suggested a topic in the "Design around This" thread of Rustic Modern. Hopefully we do that topic soon. Could you post a few pictures of your space? It would really help us determine how modern you could/should go.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Mamapaige- That's a beautiful wall and I like those stools! Those are more modern than the ones in my picture...and I think, a better contrast, to the rustic :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Definitely. I think of it as sort of love-of-nature-modern. As opposed to inner city or industrial modern.

If you think of Eichler, he is modern but definitely chose colors that harken to nature and design elements that brought nature in.

Certainly wood and metals and stone are very much at home in modern kitchens.

I do have to say though, I did not expect you to say Shaker knotty alder cabs. I don't know if you are totally set on them, but your cabs would be a very good way to use a material DH likes but in a very modern utlra-clean design.

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mtnrdredux, what style cabinets would you recommend? We just met with cabinet-maker last week and shaker is what we agreed on. My husband doesn't really care for raised panel. He wanted more of a mission look but I didn't want anything too mission. The cabinet-maker said he'll start on the cabinet boxes in about a week so I have time to change the door style.

I love the pictures and suggestions. I will take photos of the house and post them soon.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Here's a NorCal family camp kitchen that's both rustic and modern. Notice the stool side of the island... and that gorgeous walnut counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Camp Kitchen

• chitown_remodel
    12 years ago

Can you do a cabinet style like this? This looks more modern to me than a raised panel or shaker style door...

I really like the chandelier.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Hmm, well here's where my ignorance comes in! I do not know the best descriptors (I don't have anything modern in my home) but I am thinking the cleanest, simplest possible lines.

Like in the link?

Here is a link that might be useful: something like the ones here

• calimama
    12 years ago

Rustic modern is my favorite! A good example in my opinion would be last year's HGTV dream home in Stowe VT. Lots of wood and stone; a true lodge but a very modern styling, stainless, clean edges, etc. I also really like your chandelier!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

and an island like this coffee table

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic modern

• marcolo
    12 years ago

You're thinking slab full overlay, mtnrdredux.

I agree that modern and lodge play beautifully together--but we need to see your house and existing mandatories. The choice of cabinets you've made is transitional rather than modern. Which can work, too, but we need to be clear on what we're talking about.

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

The challenge of marrying your two different tastes is what is going to make the kitchen special and unique. You can definitely do it! I think the knotty alder in a medium stain in a shaker style can work, especially if you mix with other finishes to keep it from looking too traditional. (Our island and hutch is knotty/med stain/shaker inset and is way too traditional for the look you're after.)

Here are a few more inspiration pics. The last one is for fun just 'cause I love it.

• sochi
    12 years ago

A few more random rustic/modern inspiration with varying degrees of modern or rustic. Most have wooden beams or panels on the ceiling I see. A variety of cabinet styles and colour.

The raw wood bench and table make up for the lack of wooden ceiling here:

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmmm, I originally thought I wanted full overlay slab doors but changed my mind (which I've done so many times that I'm almost embarrassed). My husband was glad that I changed it as he thought slab was way to modern for him.

Marcolo, I will post pics today after work.

Regarding countertops, we would like solid surface. I would like them on the lighter side since the cabinets and floor are medium to dark. However, the room does get good light.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Slab is modern. But, to me, if I were trying to marry modern and rustic, I would do slab and wood. Ultra modern might be slab in another material.

All that said, if you both arrived at a cabinet you really like, I think it could work. I mean it's not like you are starting with French Provincial cabs.

Have you thought about concrete counters? I can see that reading modern yet rustic.

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some pictures of the work in progress - sorry about the mess.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of living room fireplace, future kitchen space and hardwood floors

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Private photobucket album--no one can see. Check out the read me first thread for photo posting instructions.

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops sorry - now it's public.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of living room fireplace, future kitchen space and hardwood floors

• sochi
    12 years ago

jkoebnick - What style the outside of your house? When was it built?

From the pictures you've shared, rustic modern should be ideal. Your kitchen looks wonderful, great ceilings, light. Wooden beams in the LR with the stone FP.
    I like your chandelier choice. Are you inspired at all by any of the photos/ideas posted?

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The house is a 1965 ranch style house with 2 1/2 acres built on a bluff with a great view out the back windows. As you can see, it needed a lot of work. But it is slowly coming together. Hopefully it will be close to move-in condition by March.

I am inspired by some of the photos posted...I really like the idea of the stacked stone looking backsplash. I like the idea of going with an iron or ORB pull for the cabinets. I kind of want a lighter, more plain looking solid surface countertop if we would go with a stacked stone backsplash. I like the idea of concrete but I wonder if I could find a solid surface that looks like concrete.

Does anyone have suggestions regarding doing a different countertop on the island? Or should I keep it the same for a more modern look?

Thank you all so much for the ideas!

• sochi
    12 years ago

1965 ranch on lots of land, rustic modern still sounds great.

I've always liked Casesarstone LagosBlue and Caesarstone concrete as well, pics below. What about wood on the island?

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

sochi,
    your pictures are great! I particularly love the one with the pickled pine floors and hanging glass light fixtures.

where do you find all of these?

• sochi
    12 years ago

Check out Silestone Grey Expo as well for a concrete look.

mamadadapaige - I just picked them off google images. The pickled pine floors and hanging glass fixtures is my fav too, although I also really like the white kitchen above it ... with the rustic dining table and bench.

• pps7
    12 years ago

I LOVE rustic+modern.

• sallysue_2010
    12 years ago

Great thread and love the inspiration pictures.....I found at least two rustic kitchens with crown molding....now I don,t feel so bad!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida