Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreak100_gw

Cabinets...at last

andreak100
10 years ago

Some of you may know that our kitchen renovation was becoming affectionately known as "The Neverstarting Project" (at least to us, our family, and our friends)...some of you here know that feeling all too well.

Well, in December, that all changed and we FINALLY got underway. Progress has been slow but steady...certainly not ready for a reveal, but we are starting to get our cabinets in and the room is finally beginning to look like I might actually be able to cook a meal in there some time this year, heck, I'll go a little crazy here and say that I'm betting it will be a KAW before spring! Pretty excited and hope to share more progress soon. Many thanks to all of you who have helped along the way by answering questions directly or helping me "silently" as I read through everyone else's questions, dilemmas, and solutions.

Forgive the low quality camera phone photo. Better photos forthcoming when things get finished. :)

Comments (12)

• berryjam
    10 years ago

Woohoo! Congratulations on the cabinets. They're looking really good. I like how you've split the 4 column drawers so that the top and bottom drawer still line up with the 3 drawer stacks. Looking forward to seeing more

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow, they are looking awesome! So happy for you!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Exciting! I noticed the same thing as jams! Looking good and keep the progress pictures coming!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Woo hoo...getting cabinets installed is a major milestone. KAW by spring is awesome...actually, I'll be happy for spring period. This has been a yucky-poo winter. Having a kitchen makeover is a nice way to pass the season. Congrats and keep posting progress reports/photos.

• tmy_jax
    10 years ago

Progress! Woo-hoo!

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Love your cabinets, can't wait to see more progress photos!

• andreak100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jams and a2gemini - since we were going with slab cabinetry, I agonized over maintaining clean lines, so it makes me exceptionally happy that both of you noticed the 4-drawer lining up with the 3-drawer! Thank you!

Holly-Kay - how sweet of you to take the time to comment in light of what you must be going through right now with your kitchen. I very nearly cried when I saw your photos...I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

Mgoblue - you are SO right about this winter being brutal. You should have seen how frozen everyone was lugging in all the cabinets from the cabinet maker's trailer on Friday. I managed to make all of them cups of hot chocolate with our makeshift somewhat-kitchen once they got everything in. Winter is a favorite time for me to cook, so it's been tough not having a real kitchen...might be easier to deal with it in the summer since you can do the cook-out thing - not a chance that's happening in this weather!

tmy, and fishymom - thanks! Hope to have more progress to post very soon!

Our cabinet maker has the patience of a Saint, I swear. I emailed him several times over just those two cabinets...could we put a 3rd drawer in with our induction cooktop? (The answer turned out to be "yes", if we did a cut down drawer inside), and if we HAD to go with a 2 deep drawer unit there, could we "scribe" a line to keep the line appearing to run straight across? (Turned out that we didn't have to, but the answer was "yes" to that also.)

We're thrilled to see the grain matching - we didn't see the cabinets through the construction period, so we didn't know how everything would look until they arrived...I think he did an excellent job with that. While our grain (cherry wood) isn't nearly as pronounced as walnut, my husband and I have always loved cherry wood grain and relatively smooth texture and have known from the start that that's what we wanted. While I love the walnut kitchens I have seen here, cherry still won us over.

I've already discovered a few "ooopses" - one is that we need a limiter hinge for the upper right door by the fridge. The other one is an issue with the corner LeMans unit (we should have had more fill to allow for our planned pulls...we are probably going to have to get a bit creative with that...solution TBD yet since I just found that issue tonight).

• romy718
    10 years ago

Cherry cabinets, very nice! Keep the updates coming.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Beautiful wood grain! How exciting to see some progress! I'll live vicariously through your pics until my cabinets start arriving for real. Keep posting and it moves along, too.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

The cherry is beautiful. So very well thought out. Love the pics, and congratulations on the progress.

• andreak100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, it's been a few stressful days. Our cabinetry is pretty much about the grain of the cherry and lines - clean, simple, and painfully thought about lines. Throughout the process, my cabinet maker and I have talked and talk about lines. And I've talked with the GC/installers about it a bunch (and a bunch more).

And apparently, in my talks explaining to the main installer who is installing the cabinets, somehow he missed that the line of cabinets in the talls and the line of the fridge were planned so that they fall in the same line. Yup. They missed that detail. And we were going to be about 1/2 an inch off...just enough that it would have looked pretty dang nasty.

So, they took down all the uppers that were installed in previous picture...and rehung them so that our talls and the fridge cabinet line will line up.

Without much further ado, here's a photo of the "tall, dark, troublemakers"...they are totally the one's that everyone was warned about.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

I love your attention to detail. Makes me want to go back to re-look at my lines.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry