Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dermnp_gw

What color table do you have with a white kitchen?

dermnp
13 years ago

I know there are numerous gorgeous white kitchens on this site, very inspirational. We are still in the early stages of developing oor plans but we are definitely going with white painted cabinets and probably soapstone and darker floors. We desperately need a new kitchen table set and torn as to what color to do, all wood or painted black and maple. What do you all have?

Comments (12)

• aloha2009
    13 years ago

We are exchanging out all of our hardware in the house with brushed nickel. We have white kitchen cabinets and we decided to purchase a steal table and chairs (resembles the brushed nickel) with a glass top. Love it!!!

• Delilah66
    13 years ago

Here's my antique library table (before wallpaper and curtains were removed). I was trying out chairs. Have different ones now and table is turned 90 degrees and centered under light.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I think it probably depends on the style of your kitchen and if you want your table set to reflect that. Aloha2009 mentioned a steel table with a glass top - now I could see that in a modern/contemporary space but then again she may have decided to mix it up in a traditional kitchen.
    We will have a dark stained wood table - species doesn't matter as long as it isn't oak - (already have the chairs but can't find a table we like) to go with our creamy cabinets, giallo ornamentale granite and midtone maple floors. Our peninsula has a dark-stained maple overhang and so we want our table to tie in with that.

• sugar_maple_30
    13 years ago

Our cabs are creamy white, the counter is very dark brown which reads black, and the floor is a medium oak.

We have a 90 year-old round oak table, which is in the same colour family as the floor. We had pressback chairs that went with the table, but it was kind of boring, all that wood the same colour. Also, they were just too "country" for our kitchen.

We recently had black bird-cage chairs made, and it's hard to believe what it change it made!

A friend was over last week, and she thought the table was new - those black chairs really make the table pop!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

You may want to go white with the table on a dark floor.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I used to have a cherry stained (pottery barn set).
    After staining the floors dark I ended up painting my
    15 year old set the same white I used for the cabinetry.
    I love it. The cherry clashed with the dark ebony/Chestnut
    color floors.

My kitchen is small and I needed to keep to the same
    color to tie it all in together. I have seen some kitchens
    with a natural wood table, and if I had the space this
    could have been an option.
    ~boxer

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

I'll try to take a picture (but first I'll have to clean all the junk off the table, ugh): we have a v. traditional all-white kitchen with marble counters / backsplash, espresso wood floors, and our breakfast table is stainless "sawhorses" (for lack of a better word) with a glass top. We have two little kiddos, one of whom is probably the world's messiest eater (Sensory issues): that glass is a total dream to clean! I mean, when I do clean it. I think for us the juxtaposition works of the modern table with the traditional kitchen.

I really wanted this incredible table

but our space is waaay too small for it. We looked into having a zinc top made for us but ouch, expensive (so it makes the above table look like a steal!). Plus zinc would have been a staining nightmare with my Li'l Angel ....

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

Great ideas...seems like it depends upon whether you want to go contemprary or more rustic. Currently remodeling w/ soapstone, wood floors too - will have a white kitchen w/ a natural tung oil walnut table top from a local lumber yard, assuming I can fund a trestle base (Help! Any Ideas????...not to hijack this post :)

Also attaching link to a possible table idea....

all the best.

Here is a link that might be useful: inspiration white kitchen w/wood table

• marcy96
    13 years ago

My main cabinets are creamy white with a brown glaze and my hutch is a chestnut maple stain. I ended up going with a brown farmhouse table (from Pottery Barn) and their black ladder back chairs.

{{!gwi}}

• dermnp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow so many great ideas. I am more of a country french/traditional style. I am looking at a table at Ethan Allen. The white is more of a cream though it seems. If I have creamy white cabinets and the table is more cream would it clash? I do agree that all wood would probably not work with darker floors, we aren't sure how dark we are going yet.

Boxerpups I love your table set and it looks great white. From Pottery Barn and seems to have lasted a good while, that says something about the quality. I also love how you always have pictures to add with different designs and colors, so helpful, thank you.

Rmkitchen, I have never heard or seen a table like that, so very cool!

sugarmaple, what are birdcage chairs?

10Kdiamond, that inspirational kitchen is gorgeous. I love those chairs, I am into natural materials and rattan right now but I don't think they would work with kids, we have 4 small ones. Thank you for posting that kitchen, I saved it for future reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen table

• zazutoo
    13 years ago

I am planning for white cabinets and soapstone counters. I have an late 1040's wood table with a grey marble formica top. I am planning on having the formica restored a bit, paint the wood legs and chairs either white or black. The table was a wedding gift from my grandparents to my parents and I just can't give it away. I hope to really make it pop with its makeover.

Please post most pictures!!

All the best,
    Suzanne

• dermnp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marcy96, not sure why I didn't see your post earlier. Love your table and really love the style of the chairs, did you buy this set recently? Are you happy with the quality? My future kitchen design is very similar to your kitchen. We are removing the long narrow island and putting in a peninsula like yours. How do you like that lay out?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County