Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorriegagnon

Quartzite help!!

Dorrie Gagnon
9 years ago

I have been to stone yard over stone yard in NJ looking for Princess White Quartzite. Thanks to the wonderful forum on here about stones, I learned that not all quartzite are true quartzite, but rather marble. I did find one that is awesome and withstood all the tests of the glass, etching etc and that is the Princess White. I am looking for a huge slab to use as my island and can't seem to find it. 118*76. Does anyone have any suggestions where to find one or something similar. I don't want something with tan, so Macubus and Taj Mahal are out and Super White is a marble:(..
Thanks!!!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

dgags:

You'll find it much easier to find two sequential slabs and a fabricator with a CNC machine than finding a slab with those dimensions.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Forget finding a slab that size and start thinking about a book matched pair.

Regarding Super White, some is marble but some is quartzite. The only way to be sure is to test the specific slab in question.

• muskokascp
    9 years ago

I echo the others - that size slab is going to be impossible to find. Bookmatched is the way to go.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Our quartzite slabs (Azul do Mar) were 124 x 64. I think that is about as big as one can find - and at that we were pleasantly surprised to get them that large. We were about ready to buy book matched slabs instead but the dealer found that they had some larger slabs at another yard over 100 miles away.

Slabs over 6 foot wide (or what ever you want to call the short direction) are rare and slabs 10 foot long are rare. You want one more than 6' wide (closer to 6 and a half) and 10' long.

That may not exist at all. If it does, it becomes a matter of going around and finding what slabs are big enough without being picky about color, then picking the one you like best of that selection - not it has to be white with no tan.

By the way - are you tall with a long reach? The middle of a 6 foot deep counter is difficult to reach to clean for many people.

• Dorrie Gagnon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice, however I really want this stone. there are tons of stones available in this size but I can't find WP. I found a great White Macaubus (little creamier than I wanted) and I will probably end up with it if I can't locate the WP. Cloud_Swift, I have 6 kids and I have learned over the years that everyone wants a friend. This island is a gathering place not only for adults but kids. I can make is a little smaller but I still want to find a white quartzite, not a marble to use.

• Liesl123
    9 years ago

Have you considered Calacatta Quartzite? Several of the slabs in the link below would cover your dimensions. I haven't seen this stone in person, but did test a sample and it does appear to be a true quartzite.

http://www.tmsupply.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=458

• Dorrie Gagnon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Liesl123- those are great slabs! I haven't tried that stone yet but I will now. Thanks!

• zhunt003
    9 years ago

How do you test to see if Super White is quartzite or marble?

• Dorrie Gagnon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cedar_lane- I have to say that I knew nothing about stones until I read Karin_mt's expertise. Check them about and I'm sure you will be truly confused like I was at first.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg011822418138.html
    The problem with these stones is that yards will sell them to you as granite, when they are quartzite or even marble and most of the time people like me would say "Ok" and take their word. I have been carrying around a snapple bottle to every yard I go to. If the stone scratches it, it is quartzite or granite. If it doesn't it's too soft of a stone like marble, soapstone, travertine etc. I then grab a sample of the stone and do some etch testing on home- pour some vinegar, wine, lemons and see how it hold ups. Now don't get me wrong I love marble and would do it in a heart beat but my kids will ruin it. So, I have to find something that is hard enough to withstand the beating my family will give.

• lmgch
    9 years ago

not sure what part of NJ you're in, but I struck out in a million places in and around Essex County. However, I LOVE the yard I ended up finding my slab from - NY Stone in Jersey City. They had a vast and beautiful supply of slabs, the staff were super nice and accommodating and it was an all around great experience.

Good luck!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES