Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kngwd

How do my choices look so far???

kngwd
13 years ago

I have gotten so much great info on this site!! I have been lurking for a while, posting only recently, and adding to my idea file. We are just about ready to get things started, so I'd like some feedback on what I have so far. I know what I like, but I'm not so great at making sure it all goes together!

The rest of my 1st floor has red oak floors with a natural finish, so we are going to extend those into the kitchen/family room.

I'm borrowing one of craftlady07's pix to show my cabs. My are this color, hardware will be almost the same as well, but mine will be raised panel, not inset.

The tentative granite selection - Santa Cecilia

Pendants (2 over the peninsula, 1 over the sink - these I copied form irishcreamgirl!)

Chandelier for over table

I think I've decided on the Kraus SS apron front sink - fireclay isn't in the budget. Do you think this sink will go with the rest of the kitchen? I'm afraid it might be too contemporary looking, but I really like the apron fronts! All the appliances will be SS.

Opinions? What have I forgotten??? Oh, and the adjoining hallway and dining room are painted sage green - any suggestions for a complimentary color for the kitchen/family room space?

Comments (12)

• brianadarnell
    13 years ago

I love your choices on the pendants and chandelier...where are they from?

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

um, of course I love your choices!! :)
    In fact, I almost picked the santa cecilia myself, until I found the new venetian gold slab. And I almost picked the same style pendant (with a gold/amber shade). haha great minds think alike!

I'm doing a gold color for the walls, it took me quite awhile to decide and today we picked up a gallon of Hubbell House Golden Maize from Valspar. your best bet would probably be some sort of tan color I guess. It's a hard choice to make, that much I know!

But everything looks good so far :)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Your choices are great. How about a creamy gold color of the family room walls?

• kngwd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Brian! The lights are from Uttermost, style is Galeana. I found them on 1800lighting.com.

I was thinking a color in the yellow family - my MIL has BM Hawthorne and I've always liked it. Or I guess the tans. I am horrible at picking colors (like my daughter's "light pink" room that gives me a headache if I go in during sunset!!!). Here's the Hawthorne...

And the SS sink....i think this is what I'm most worried about...

• kngwd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, so I showed my ideas to a co-worker today and the 1st thing she said was, "I don't like that sink with a traditional kitchen. It's too modern." Now I'm completely confused! If I spend the extra money on this sink and don't like it once it's in, DH will have my head!!!
    What do you think????? Please help! Should I save the $200 and just go undermount?

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I don't think the SS sink is modern so much as it's more industrial to me. BUT I've seen plenty of pictures online where it fits perfectly fine with a traditional kitchen.

I just thought of soemthing, maybe you could email Heather or Kyle and see if they have any pictures of a SS apron fron sink with the cinnamon stained cabs. When I told Kyle I was getting the Rohl Shaws apron front sink he showed me some installations he did with that sink on his phone, so he might have some pics with your sink that might ease your mind a bit.

Check out cade's picture about half way down in this thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0118045614875.html

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

I'm loving your choices!!!! **drool**

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi kng...

I think your choices all blend nicely. I chose the same pendants as you..but when I got them home they were broken. I really like them, but eventually chose something else. They go great with your other fixture.

I don't think the SS apron sink will look out of place. My thinking is that it will play off nicely with your other appliances...which are SS and modern looking as well.. I would go for it..It will look great!

KA:)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Kngwd,

Oh I love your sink with your choices. Yes, it could
    fall into the catagory of contemporary but I think it is
    perfect. Do you like it? Then get it because it goes
    wonderfully with your choices. I like the yellow paint but
    I wonder if something a little softer.

Okay what counter edge are you doing?
    And what about your backsplash?
    What appliances? I mean color. If you go with SS they
    will work beautifully with the sink.

~boxer

Here are some ideas for paint.

Final Straw Benjamin Moore

Golden Straw Benjamin Moore

Linen Benjamin Moore goes nicely with a sage green color
    YOu mentioned you had a sage or a green in the hall way.

And are here some stainless sinks like yours that
    look anything but Contemporary. I just wish I had one
    with Santa C so you could see how great your choices do
    look.

{{gwi:1567072}}

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I think your choices coordinate very well. I don't think your sink is a problem at all. As for wall colors, try BM Weston Flax; it looks like it would coordinate well with sage and light enough to reflect lots of light in the room. I'm looking foward to seeing what you choose for the BS!

• kngwd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I feel so much better getting some other opinions. If boxerpups says it's ok, it must be! : )
    And I like the paint recommendations too! I will go check them out soon.
    Appliances are all SS - already purchased during the course of the last year to help keep the costs down. I just scored my OTR micro/hood off Craigslist Sat - brand new for $175!
    I am clueless as to granite edges - I can only say that it will be a standard edge! We are trying to contain costs wherever we can but still get what we love!
    As for backsplash, I was thinking travertine w/glass accents. DH only had 2 requests at the start of this - some glass tile somewhere and that he use the "leftover" money to get a new shed in the backyard. I'm going to make sure he gets his glass because I think #2 ain't gonna happen!!!!

(just for ideas - not the actual colors - tho I do like both!)

• lgm2005
    12 years ago

I like what you have so far. We are redoing our kitchen right now and I've picked cabinets similar to the color you have and St Cecilia Light, with an undermount sink and all applicances are SS as well. We opened up our kitchen to the den and the dinning room is light tan and chineese red. I am having issues with what color tile to pick for the backsplash and floor. So far nothing has made me go wow. If any one has any ideas I'm open