Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenchaos_gw

Ticor Sink Reviews please

kitchenchaos
16 years ago

The Ticor sink price really interests me. I have not seen one in person so I would really like those of you who have compared them to the name brands to post your reviews. I am really thinking its one of those if its too good to be true it probably is..

Comments (39)

• tklahr
    16 years ago

We purchased the Ticor 405D about a month ago based on reviews on this site. So far, we are very satisfied. The quality seems very good, it's quiet, nice looking, and best of all you can't beat the price. My one (small) complaint is that water does not completely drain out of the larger side of the double sink. It seems like the bottom of the larger side may be a little too flat, and the lip at the drain keeps a very small pool of water from getting out. It's a very minor issue, and come to think of it I haven't even noticed it the past few days. If we had to do it over again I think we'd buy the same exact sink.

If you do decide on a Ticor I highly recommend using galaxytoolsupply.com. Excellent service, great prices, and fast shipping!

• alku05
    16 years ago

We also have the 405D, but we've never had any issues with water not draining completely like tklahr mentions. We love the 405D sink, and also our Ticor 16" round prep sink. They are similar in style to the Blanco sinks we were looking at, but are nicer quality.

My GC told me that the only thing in our entire kitchen that the Inspector commented on was the 405D sink. His words were "Now that's an expenisve sink you put in there!" He couldn't believe we got it for $229, he thought we spent 3x that on it! And that's a man that spends all day looking at newly remodeled kitchens and baths.

Seriously, they ARE really nice sinks.

• vizslalover
    16 years ago

I have the S405 (for 1yr now) and am VERY VERY happy with it. It looks beautiful and the quality and construction are first rate. Ticor sinks/Galaxy Tool Supply are favorites on this forum-you'll find many happy customers (and very few unhappy ones).

In this case, it's not too good to be true, IMO. They are made in China which is probably a significant factor in the lower price.

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

we have a single bowl Ticor that DH has put into the cabinet even though the granite isn;t installed yet. I LOVE it. It is deep, quiet, the grid at the bottom makes it easy to make the sink a drain field and still have room to wash dishes on the other side of the sink. It is also incredibly easy to clean up - no splotches or anything left over.

Like others here, I ordered from Galaxy and was very happy with the service.

Good luck with the decision!

Nica

• andreaintx
    16 years ago

We have the S105 8R. Haven't installed it yet but it arrived very fast and what we have seen with the sink it is really nice. I'll update once we install it in a couple of weeks.

• kimwok
    16 years ago

We have the Ticor S805 bar/prep sink and the Franke orca for our main sink. Both were bought sight unseen and I too was a little nervous about that. Although the Ticor through Galaxytoolsupply.com could of been returned without a restocking fee which is unusual. Both are beautiful sinks but you totally can not beat the price of the Ticor especially since it comes with the grid. My sink arrived without the grid and customer service was absolutely wonderful to deal with. I would do business with them again in a heartbeat. Hope that helps.

• kitchenchaos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kimwok: Do you consider the Franke to be at all better than the Ticor? If you could have returned your Franke would you have??

• grendal_fly
    16 years ago

I bought both the ss508 for my main sink and the ss208 for my prep. Both my GC and plumber couldn't believe what I paid for them and now my GC is going to start using them in all his builds and remodels and the plumber is considering them as well.

I looked at the Franke and Kohler and when you consider the quality, price and the accessories (they both come with the drain grid and cutting boards and the 508 comes with a drain basket as well) purchasing the Ticor sinks was a no brainer.

• jackiemcg
    16 years ago

grendal fly - I am considering purchasing the ss508 as well. Can you tell me by any chance what the minimum cabinet requirement is? On the website it says 10" but I assume that is a mistake. Thanks Jackie

• amsunshine
    16 years ago

I have a Ticor single basin sink w/sink grid. It was undermount installed this past summer in my newly remodeled kitchen and so far, I love it. As others have said, it is quiet, spacious and made well. Over the holidays, even my MIL commented about how nice the sink grid is.

• eppinghouse
    16 years ago

Based on recommendations on this site I'm considering Ticor's "square" sink instead of Blanco's zero radius sink---but I'm worried that the polished beveled edge on the Ticor might be prone to scratching [the rest of the sink is brushed, right?]. Does anyone have any experience with that? Also, are zero radius sinks prone to leaking since the corners are soldered? Galaxy's site says the rim is 16 gauge, but is the whole sink 16 gauge [silly question?]
    Thanks for your help and the tip about Ticor and Galaxy.

• grendal_fly
    16 years ago

Jackiemcg,
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
    The actual outside dimensions of the ss508 are 30 5/18 x 18 1/8.
    The 10" is depth I believe.
    I am putting mine in a 34 1/4" base if that helps.

• jackiemcg
    16 years ago

grendal fly- Thanks for getting back to me. I am going to have a 33" in base. I will double check with Galaxy to see if that will work. Thanks again. Jackie

• maryhmaryh
    16 years ago

I am thinking of getting the Ticor S405 from Galaxy. For those that have a Ticor sink what type of faucet did you get? Does the stainless of the Ticor match to most brands for the faucet (Moen, Delta, etc.).

Also any faucets to stay away from (trying to find something for less that $200).

Thanks,
    Mary

• muscat
    16 years ago

I have a double bowl ticor- cannot remember the model. It went in last friday, and gets plumbed today. It seems great, and since 16g 18/10 stainless is the same no matter who makes it, brand should not matter. ***One warning*** : mine came with a couple of different drains, and one of them was pastic. I have a contractor doing my plumbing and electrical, and he was not at all impressed with this part. So we scratched it, and planned to use the metal one, but it came damaged! (Thus, sink plumbing happening today, not last night) Not a huge issue, as these can be purchased, but I would check all your parts carefully, and you may want to replace the plastic drain with something else.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

We have the big ticor single bowl. I always get the model number wrong. But we love love love it. It is deep but not too deep. IT looks great, undermounted like a dream and the bottom "grid" is so much more than I expected!!!

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

I originally had picked a granite at Expo, and after I chose one, went over to look at sinks. I was shocked at how much the sink where. I started reading here, and heard about the Ticor. I decided to go for it, and got the sink the other day. It's the same as the one pictured above but opposite side. I was so impressed with it. All of the other sinks that I looked at I would have had to buy the drains. This came with them and two sink grids. The more modern square sinks even come with a drainboard. If you really look, you can't believe how much all of that would cost to buy elsewhere. I'm simply impressed.

Now we'll have to see how I like it after it is installed and up and running...

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

I originally had picked a granite at Expo, and after I chose one, went over to look at sinks. I was shocked at how much the sink where. I started reading here, and heard about the Ticor. I decided to go for it, and got the sink the other day. It's the same as the one pictured above but opposite side. I was so impressed with it. All of the other sinks that I looked at I would have had to buy the drains. This came with them and two sink grids. The more modern square sinks even come with a drainboard. If you really look, you can't believe how much all of that would cost to buy elsewhere. I'm simply impressed.

Now we'll have to see how I like it after it is installed and up and running...

• jwm211
    15 years ago

for jackiemcg

Would you mind telling me what Ticor sink did fit in your 33" base? I was considering the 208 and was told by Galaxy it would fit, but am being told by Home Depot kitchen design that that is misinformation. Can you tell me about your experience?

• tom2007
    15 years ago

jwm211 - You may mean "508" and not 208. Both fit! If you have a 33 in. sink base, your inside dimension is around 31.5. The 208 is only 15.25 in long! You may want a bigger sink. The 508 is 27.875 in. long. I'll be putting the 112 into a 33 in. sink base. The 112 is 31.5 in. long; but even that will just fit in (without having to trim down the cabinet sides.)

• tom2007
    15 years ago

To jwl211 and fellow DIYers that may stumble upon this post in the future. The following is a little more explanation to the previous post I made above. The issue is what size undermount sink will fit into a certain size cabinet. There are several factors: attachment, removal, fit, and asthetics. The measurements listed for a sink are the largest outside dimensions, measured at the top on the rim; and the inside measurements of the bowl or bowls. An undermount sink must obviously be attached to the counter in order to hold it up. This is normally done with clips from the sink rim to the counter. I have a sink which measures 31.5 in. across the top of the rim. The manufacturer and dealers say that 32 in. is the minimum inside cabinet width required. This leaves a mere minimum 0.25 in. on each side underneath the counter to clip to. You can fit a larger sink if the total bowl width will fit into the cabinet opening. However the sink rim will then extend over the cabinet sides. The cabinet sides can be shortened slightly in order for the rim to be recessed and the counter to sit in its normal position. In this case you are not using clips; the cabinet is supporting the sink. However, the thing to remember in this situation is that the sink is siting on top of the cabinet and is permanently fixed between the counter and cabinet. You may not care about that, but you should be aware of it. You would need to remove the counter, which is permanently glued, in order to remove the sink. In my case. the inside of the cabinet is also 31.5 in., and the sink can just slide in (if part of the cabinet corner chinks are cut out.) In this application there is no counter to clip to, and a ledger (1x3 board) must be attached to the inside of the cabinet walls for the sink to rest on. If the ledgers are screwed on from the inside of the sink base, you probably wouldn't be able to remove the ledgers because the sink is in the way. Hence, the sink is again permanently stuck between the counter and cabinet. However, a simple solution to this is to simply screw the ledgers on from the outside of the cabinet, meaning through the inside of the adjoining cabinets. In this case, if you ever needed to remove the sink, the ledgers can easily be unscrewed.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

Tom, it's like you wrote this for me. I have a 33 inch base, giving me about 31 1/2 interior space and was hoping to buy ticor's sink 6504 which says it requires 32 inches inside. The 6504 measures 31 1/4.

So, does this mean it is possible to use the sink? Another dilemma I have is that the guys that template will actually take the sink with them to mount it to the hi mac solid surface countertop at their factory. Will this still work? After having problems with a local fabricator, I decided I had to go with Lowes and this is the procedure. I have to hurry up and order the sink before templating can happen.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

trying again...

• tom2007
    15 years ago

Hi Jessie. I was referring to installing undermount stainless sinks. If your sink is stainless and if the rim length is 31 1/4, then it will fit neatly into your 31 1/2 cabinet opening. In my two experiences with granite installation and stainless, the fabricators did ask for the sink. So this seems to be standard procedure. Although the sinks come with a template, I guess the fabricators actually like to have the sink. They'll cut out the opening to match perfectly the sink. However, the sink isn't actually attached until everything is brought back to the house. I would think that the main template could be made, and then you could bring the fabricator the sink when it arrives. You probably know that you have a choice to make on the sink cutout. Do you want to have a reveal, with the counter cut bigger than the bowl so that some of the rim is exposed? Or to you want the counter to be flush with the bowl? Or the third possibility is to have the counter extend over the bowl slightly.
    You're going to need to attach 1x3's as mentioned in the above post. Attach them from the outside, as discussed, in case you ever wanted to change out the sink.

• lcedis_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

We are thinking about the Ticor 6512.

Do you all still love your Ticor sinks?

• jem199
    13 years ago

Bumping this since my sink was installed this week. OMG! I LOVE it. It's so pretty and solid. I am so glad I heard about Ticor on this forum and didn't spend all that $ on Kohler. It's absolutely perfect. I just wish I got the model with the sink grids, but I'm just going to orden them now from Galaxy.

I have the 105DBG in a 33" sink base and there were no install issues at all. It fit just fine.

• gwentm
    13 years ago

Ditto jem199 - except my sink was supposed to come with the grid but it did not. Called up Galaxy, they apologized and sent it to me right away. Customer service was excellent as is the quality and look of the product. Would not hesitate to use them again.

• jem199
    13 years ago

I actually ordered mine from Overstock and it arrived in 5 days. I also want to add that Kohler drains are A MUST. I picked that tip up here too. Put the Ticor drains in the Goodwill box or Freecycle them. Get the Chrome Kohler drains for apprx. $40 ea. from Faucetdirect. The chrome works fine with the Ticor sink - no need to spend $100 on stainless. The other finishes are crap, so I hear.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the heavy drain basket. It's the easiest drain in the world to install. It doesn't have a mind of it's own and there is no fussing to get it to hold water. It's worth the extra cash to get these. We really missed them in our cottage rental a couple of weeks ago. It's an overlooked item that you use every day.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I agree w/the above...love my Ticor sink but did replace the strainers with Kohler DuoStrainers (stainless steel, in my case). BTW...I also replaced the InSinkerator's disposal flange w/the Kohler Disposal Flange). I also purchased mine from FaucetDirect.

The only thing I would add is that if you have a brushed stainless steel sink you might want to consider the brushed chrome (or stainless).

Do NOT get the nickel (brushed or polished) or oil rubbed bronze finishes...these finishes, regardless of brand (Kohler, Blanco, Franke, Rohl, etc.), are easily damaged by cleaning products, including bleach, Bar Keepers Friend, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Duostrainer at Faucet Direct

• Tom
    13 years ago

It is sink decision time, everyone still like the sinks mfg by Ticor??? If not do you have any other recommendations? Looking for a 30" single bowl.

Thanks

Tom

• sfilloy_att_net
    13 years ago

Would love to hear from someone who has had a Ticor sink for some years. How is it holding up?

• annachosaknj6b
    13 years ago

I would also like to hear from someone who has had a Ticor for a year or more.

• Aletia Morgan
    12 years ago

Let me bump this up a bit - I'm looking for a sink, and trying to manage the budget - looking at the Ticor S113, based on comments @ Ticor on the site.

With the benefit of experience, would anyone else still buy one? Thanks...

• eleena
    12 years ago

Another bump.

• rebekah_augustine
    6 years ago
    I also would love to hear how the Timor sinks have held up over time, especially in regards to scratching? Is it a noisy sink?
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ticor went out in the bust and someone else is using the name now. Long term owner experiences from when Ticor was Ticor will not be at all relevant to whatever is being sold under that name now, sorry.

• rebekah_augustine
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Writersblock. “Ticor” sinks are still being sold and I’m very interested in them, especially because of the price and classy appearance but am concerned about long term wear and scratching.
  • PRO
    Kobi Tools Inc.
    4 years ago

Hello everyone,

We are pleased to now be offering Ticor sinks directly on Houzz marketplace!

We have partnered with Ticor Sinks for many years and would like to take a moment to offer some clarity: there has been no change in ownership or "gone out of business" as suggested above. They have been producing their sinks continuously from the first post in this thread in 2008 to today, and if anything the quality is only improving as they are adding new designs, accessories, and features.

If anyone has questions, please let us know!