Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dd70_gw

Attaching tray dividers

dd70
15 years ago

I want to put after market tray dividers in one of my lower cabinets for cookie sheets and stuff. I did a search and everyone I found need to be screwed in the bottom and back of the cabs. I guess this makes sense so they dont tip over, I hadn't realized this. I really don't want to put holes in cabinets that are not even a year old, I dont think I can bring myself to do it. Does anyone know of any that don't need to be attached or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (13)

• beccamj
    15 years ago

I felt the same. I know it's weird, but I didn't want to attach anything, so I got a movable one from The Container Store. It's certainly not as perfect a solution, but it works for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4-Sort Divider

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

My tray dividers (provided by the cabinet company) are not screwed down. They are made of maple or similar wood so they match the interiors of my cabinets. They stay in place very well because the wood itself is heavy, then they're loaded down w/ lots of things.

Let me know if you want me to post a photo.

Anita

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I have never shopped with Outwater but their catalog is pretty impressive. Is this the kind of thing you are interested in? These have slides so you can attach them to the predrilled holes in your cabinet.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Outwater Catalog Tray Roll out and Over the Oven Cabinet

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

beccajm-yes, that is exactly what I am looking for! I dont think its weird, after spending $$$ on new cabs it would be very hard to drill holes in them! I will have to measure to make sure they fit. Do you have problems with it tipping over?

nomoreblue-if you have a pic handy that would be great, they are always helpful.

homepro-I LOVE the idea of a pull out but it would require attachment and I dont want to commit..I may not like after a while and then I wouldn't be able to change it.

Thank you all so much!

• chefkev
    15 years ago

dd70 - I know just how you feel. I bit the bullet and drilled the holes anyways. I took forever and measured 4 times to make sure I didn't put in any unnecessary holes. I used to have the ones like beccamj but they did tend to shift around a little.

nomorebluekitchen - I'd love to see a picture of your dividers (just curious about the road not taken...).

• homepro01
    15 years ago

D70,
    You already have holes in the side of your cabinets. You don't need to drill new ones. It is like installing a new drawer or shelf in the cabinet. You don't have to drill at all. You use the existing holes.

Good luck!

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Here are mine. There are 3 separate dividers which aren't attached to the cabinet or one another. They just sort of stay put by virtue of their weight and the weight of the things inside them.

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• beccamj
    15 years ago

Mine doesn't shift around at all, I think because the pans in them are so heavy all in all that they weigh it down. I also have it in a lower cabinet so perhaps grabbing pans from above rather than below keeps it from moving. I might get another one, actually; this one isn't big enough for all my bakeware.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

do your cabs have shelves in them? if so, you may not be able to keep a shelf & put trays in

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

homepro-I will have to look into that more, I must have read it wrong. the divider wouldn't span the whole width of the cabinet, just half of it. thanks

Anita-thank you. I bet my DH could make something similar. uh,hmm..like he doesn't have enough to do around here :0

jejvtr-the cabinet is actually a tall microwave cabinet. 30" wide, double door with a center style. It has one shelf that I raised up (PIA) to make room for the dividers and I still have enough room to put stuff on the shelf. The inside dim is 23.5" high. I measured under the shelf using the height of the widest cookie sheet I have, I think it will work.

If I get the ones that becca posted (thanks again) it will work, they are pretty cheap and could be a temp. solution until im ready to break out the drill!

here is a pic, its the bottom of the MW cab.

From Kitchen 90%

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I found another option on Shenandoah cabinets. You can probably order them from Lowes and they look like a true side mount. I found another one at Omega Cabinets that Ilinked here. Also, consider the over the cabinet tray storage from Outwater. I think Kompy has a similar one from Kraftmaid.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another option

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh homepro thank you so much. I am going to show the outwater one to DH to see if he thinks it will work. You really went out of your way to find something for me and I very much appreciate it. I will let everyone how I make out. Im so thankful for this forum. I stumbled upon it over a year ago..a few days after finalizing my cabinet order unfortunatley.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I used 3 inexpensive (OK, cheap!) dividers from Walmart. They're 4 slots each. They're just placed together, not screwed down. They work fine that way and there's no sliding around and no holes in my cabinets!