Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpalmetto

Kraft Maid vs. Signature

scpalmetto
10 years ago

Am considering either Kraft Maid or SIgnature cabinets. Both will be the all plywood construction. The style is white painted Shaker. The KM is significantly less expensive so I am leaning that way. What am I missing that would make the Signature more attractive? Pros and cons of each????

Thank you so much for your opinions.

Comments (13)

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

That's kind of Hundai vs Lexus, different frame construction, wood selection, finish. Really a question beat answered by your Signature dealer.

• sas95
    10 years ago

Weird two to be torn between. They are not in the same league. The finish and construction of the Signature is far superior. We have Signature and the quality is great, but you are right, they are not inexpensive. If you don't see a difference, though, get the Kraft Maid. We all have different priorities for what tp spend and what to save on.

• scpalmetto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did see a tremendous difference in the construction of the lower grade KM's (the ones I am not going with) and Signature but I find with the painted Shaker doors, they all look pretty much alike from the outside. Shaker does not lend itself to a lot of bells and whistles like pedestals and more ornate woodwork. If I had the room for something like that I would certainly go with Signature. I know they offer many more cabinet configurations but is the difference that noticeable or usable? In reference to Jakuvall's comment, I drive a Mercedes and understand quality but the KM's I am considering have sturdy all wood boxes, tongue and groove drawers that glide smoothly and soft close features. I recognize that the paint might not be up to a certain standard but for a $15,000+ difference I could have them redone with the highest of quality finishes with cash to spare. I should add I am having a top notch finish carpenter do the installation.
    Is there anything more specific like nails vs. screws or something I should look for?

• User
    10 years ago

So, what's the difference between your Mercedes and that Hyundai? They both have a metal exterior and are covered in paint, right? I mean, you can have that Hyundai repainted a couple of times before it starts to approach the price of the Mercedes.

Just like the difference between the two cars, most of the difference is below the skin. It's the details that someone who isn't a car guy doesn't have the discernment to notice. To them, they are both just silver cars that get you from A to B.

They are both white boxes. that hold your dishes. Would knowing any of the details of the diifferences sway you to spending the extra 15K? Or,?because you don't really care, and they are just white boxes that hold dishes, would you be interested in buying a Yugo instead of even a Hyundai?

That's only a little snark. It's actually a serious question. People have different priorities, and yours might be being able to afford the best possible pro style cooking equipment, or some super exotic Mother Nature work of art Blue Bahaia granite for your island. Most people can't afford the best in category for everything that they buy always. Some things take precedence. Cabinets for you might not be at the forefront of your scale of importance. Just remember that they are the element with the most pemanannce in any kitchen and design your layout to work the hardest no matter what boxes you choose.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Kraftmaid makes a decent cabinet. Pretty much every brand from that price point up is serviceable and will hold up. As holly notes many of the differences are under the hood. Her point on priority is spot on.

I compete against Signature with my hi-end cabinet is in part why I'm not going into details but suggest discussing with the dealer....if it is even under serious consideration.

Just so no one gets offended, I drive a Hyundai :-)

This post was edited by jakuvall on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 11:37

• User
    10 years ago

"I drive a Hyundai "

Me too. Retirees have to watch their pennies. It's good on gas and gets me from A to B. I have other toys for the weekend fun drives.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I debated between KM and a Mercedes cabinet version custom built by the amish with a significantly higher cost (sold through a "retailer" here in Texas). In the end, I decided KM had sufficient quality to serve me well and were more appropriate for my budget. A second deciding factor was that almost no fillers were necessary. If your kitchen is small and you're losing too much space to fillers to make it work, I would consider looking in a different direction. Like you, I had a top notch installer. I encountered only one problem (wrong drawer slide) which was promptly corrected. After 2 1/2 years, they are still like brand new (with painted finish), and I have no regrets.
    (1.) One subtle difference is that KM makes their base slightly taller than most cabinets, thereby shortening the height of the drawers and doors. This is an obvious cost benefit for KM. However, I'm still quite pleased with the storage. (2.) Their shelf clips are plastic. My installer substituted the metal ones. (3.) KM drawer box depth is 20.5" whereas total inside depth to the back of the cabinet is 23.5". I would think a more expensive company should give a deeper drawer box. You need to check the cabinet specs re: thickness of cabinet backs, etc. However, I believe KM has sufficient quality to stand the test of time.
    If you want top construction quality and custom sizes at KM prices, I suggest you look into rta cabinets by Conestoga sold through retailers such as Cabinet Authority or Cabinet Joint. I'm purchasing Conestoga cabinets for a bedroom where I need custom sizing and construction. Take time with your decision and the best choice for your situation will become obvious.

• User
    10 years ago

Not that those issues can't be annoying if the KD doesn't explain what you are gettin, but none of those things are KM specific. :-)

. KM uses industry wide standard dimension, neither taller nor shorter than anyone else in that price range.

.Plastic clips are also standard at that price range. I don't like some of them either, but thy have proved adequate over the years.

. Again, it's industry standard to use 21" drawer glides in 24" boxes. It's physically impossible to use 24'' ones in a 24'' box, and thats the next standard size down.

• scpalmetto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Texasgal, those are specifics that will help me. One of the features I liked in the all wood KM was their deeper top drawers, however, I did not carefully examine the bottom ones or the base to check for height. The layout of the cabinets from both manufacturers is identical so fillers are not an issue.

We are retirees also and the one thing I have learned in my 70+ years is that dealers, even the most honest, will tell you what you want to hear. Whenever making a big purchase you have to see firsthand and learn for yourself. This forum is great for giving ideas on what to look for and which questions to ask.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Hollysprings is the pro, and I stand corrected regarding drawer box depth. Holly, thank you, as I've always wondered about that. I don't know about the cabinet base height however. My cabinet installer made the comment that they were taller than the norm which then threw the dimensions off for my cooktop/wall oven install and modifications had to be made. However, in the big scheme, KM does adhere to industry standards, and I believe this to be a minor issue. Going with a mid-range cabinet allowed me to splurge in other areas. For my pocketbook, it was well worth the compromise.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

It is possible to get custom sizes at Kraftmaid pricing from several major mfgs (I carry a brand that does 1/8ths at no charge). Rumor has it that KM will be offering some sizing options by the end of the year, not sure how extensive.
    Some of the rest of this has spurred me to post some info on construction in a separate thread.

Holly- no second car for me- wife's is nicer. Just not important to me and I treat it like a truck despite the fact it's a glorified go cart and I do a LOT of miles.
    Once sitting with a customer and the boss stopped by and dropped one of his favorite lines-"you should spend about what you'd spend on a car for your kitchen..." (I smiled ..) she happened to be a car person, had 6 or so high end cars and responded-"like h&$)%- I'd rather buy another Porsche" :)

• ardcp
    10 years ago

jakuvall- what are the brands you mention that do custom sizing at kraftmaid pricing?

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Showplace does 1/8ths prices plus or minus KM depending, believe Shiloh does, Have heard KM will offer 1/2" this summer, think Medallion does 1/4" (don't think in Silverline though), DuraSupreme brought out a less expensive line not sure of the pricing supposedly close, Elmwood has options that start at the price point does 1/8ths. add in Ultracraft (aka Europa).

Remember that you can only really compare price by a complete kitchen.

This post was edited by jakuvall on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 14:13