Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bianco Antico granite -- fragility issues?

Posted by athorneburg (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 19:03

I have reserved my slabs, but continue to research this granite, and have talked to my fabricator... I get the feeling this granite is considered fragile compared to say Absolute Black. Has anyone had any issues with flaking and chipping? Also I notice that few people's pictures show countertops with the OGEE edge profile, instead I mostly see a basic edge. Any reason? Is it due to additional cost, personal preference or is is due to the fragility issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bianco Antico granite -- fragility issues?

i have it. it is more fragile than other stones. it does not feel like smooth glass (has fissures & imperfections). i think most people w/it get the straight edge because it's a fairly contemporary stone and the basic edge is a more contemporary clean look. i happen to love it.

o
RE: Bianco Antico granite -- fragility issues?

Mine has a Long Ogee edge on the island. Only did the eased edge on the perimeter for cost issues. After splurging on this stone, I couldn't splurge on this edge everywhere. My fabricator suggested doing it this way because when someone comes into the kitchen, the first thing they see is the island and that fabulous edge. Automatically they are fooled into thinking that this is the edge everwhere. It really is true.

I don't know if it's any more fragile than other stones. My fabricator certainly didn't express any concern to me about it. He did let me know about certain marble slabs being fragile.

srg215's comments about the surface not being smooth is something to consider. I have no issues with my slabs not being smooth as glass. I always have accepted them as part of nature, a product of the Earth. Some people are shocked that their slabs have rough spots. I guess if someone wants a counter to be totally smooth and perfect, maybe something man made is a better choice. For me? I love my Bianco Antico and would choose it again.

Here's my island:
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here