Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

HTML code for embedding photos?

lisa_a
13 years ago

Ack, the info in the "Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!" has changed and I can't find the html code for embedding images from a site other than my photo-hosting site. What happened to that info? I looked through the FAQ section and found instructions for posting photos from a photo-hosting site but that was it.

Help! Please add that information back to the thread or to the FAQ page. It was so useful. If it's there and I overlooked it, please tell me where it's hiding.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Note that if it's not your own site, you're stealing bandwidth. If you're pointing out good things to buy on big vendors' sites, you're doing them a favor. For people who pay for server space and bandwidth by the dram, you're way upping their traffic with each page view by each GWer, so use a little caution. (And if you don't own the image, you're technically violating copyright.)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

You don't need so much, pillog. Just:

(without the spaces; they're only her to make it visible), will do it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

URL means the complete URL including the http:// part (I know you know, pillog. Clarifying for others.)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone for coming to my rescue. I'll copy and paste this into a cheat sheet for myself so I won't have to bug you all again.

plllog, unless it's impossible (not identified) I always give credit to photo owner/designer/kitchen owner. Wouldn't do it any other way.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

You can also resize an image (regardless of the original) by specifying either a width or a height, and the other dimension will be displayed in proportion:

so
    {{!gwi}} = {{!gwi}}

and
    {{!gwi}} = {{!gwi}}

and
    {{!gwi}} = {{!gwi}}

• plllog
    13 years ago

Writersblock is right, but in some browsers, the border is really obnoxious. Also, the alt, the description, is what comes up when the image is loading slowly or not at all (some security systems strip the images) as well as being what the accessibility readers speak aloud, so it's considered bad form not to include it. It doesn't need to be a full on description. Just something descriptive like "sink". Or "stainless sink" for one and "cast iron sink" for another.

Changing the visual size with height and width numbers is an easy way to do it when you're pasting in from another website, but keep in mind it doesn't change the size of the picture, just the size it is shown at. If it's a photo off of a camera at full size, it's going to be a huge file (as in megabytes) and take a long time to load and be rejected by some servers. If you change the size in a photo editing program, the file size will change accordingly, your picture will display correctly without the extra code, and won't deliver all that excess information.

Giving credit has nothing to do with stealing bandwidth and violating copyright. It's very good manners to give credit. It's better manners not to use pictures and internet resources without permission.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

So are you saying the re-do of the "Read Me" thread makes it more difficult to use? The whole point of doing it this way was to make it less cumbersome and much easier to find each topic.

The information has not changed, it's just linked to now. As a matter of fact, the "Subject" for each topic is exactly the same as it was in the old format. You just don't have to weed/scroll down through pages of information to find the topic you're interested in.

The "Posting Pictures" is the same as always...oh, with using Flickr added.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm saying that I can't find the information. I followed the links, found the information for posting from a photo hosting site but nothing else. Where is the info about html code for embedding photos? I must be blind because I can't find it.

So, yeah, I guess I'm saying that the re-do is more difficult, at least for now, because nothing's where I'm used to finding it.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Hmmmm....maybe something is missing, I'll check it. Thanks!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

It's b/w the photo-hosting site information and the PDF information...

Posting a picture from somewhere other than your photo hosting account

Again, your pictures must be located somewhere online, not on your local machine.

1. Copy the following into the "Message" box where you want the picture to be:

Next, replace the http://www.XXX/image.jpg with the address of the image.
    When you "preview" the message, you should see the picture

Note: If using "image code", you may sometimes see the code with square brackets ([ ]) instead of angle brackets (). You must replace some of the square brackets with angle brackets and eliminate others for the image code to work. Your goal is to make your "image code" look like the example above.

• kathielo
    13 years ago

Im trying to imbed a photo from my photobucket album into a posting. My instructions say to hover over the photo and move it to where it says HTLM code in the menu below the photo, click and without moving the mouse copy, then click over to GW and paste in the message. This used to work for me, the HTLM would highlight but now it does not. Does anyone know if there has been some change to the process? I haven't done this in awhile.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Are you logged in to your account? Sometimes it makes a difference.

1. Hover over the picture until the list of links/code appears.

Move the mouse to the "HTML Code" box and pause for about 2 seconds.
    Then, click where the code is. Be sure the cursor is a hand with a finger pointing before you click...wait an extra second and then click.

The code in the box should briefly change to "copied"; then it changes back to the code. You should now be able to paste the copied code in the "Message" box.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Sometimes it's hard to get the hover thing to work in album view. Usually, if you click on the image and get the larger view it's easier to highlight and copy the code.

Worse comes to worst, you could use the img code posted in this thread and get the URL by right clicking the picture, and choosing "copy image location".