Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

Cali Wendy....One more question for you

mybrowneyedgirls
14 years ago

I was looking at your kitchen photos the other day and I was wondering if you can tell me what tile you used for your backsplash. I am really considering Rixi tiles in mandorla but I am afraid it will be too shiny with all my other high gloss surfaces in the kitchen, but I have been unable to find a non-glossy white subway that I really like (until I noticed yours). So if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to know the manufacturer, color, and size, and any other helpful details. Thanks again!

Comments (11)

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Hi mybrowneyedgirls...no problem. :)

My backsplash is 2x4 Crema Marfil tumbled marble. It comes in 12x12 sheets.

We put an "enhancer" on it to bring out the warmer tones. It is not really a white tile...much more creamy beige and the color varies from tile to tile.

The tile looks much whiter with the undercabinet lighting on. Here is a picture without any lighting. This photo looks a tad darker than it looks in person, but you can see the variation better.

The Crema Marfil also comes in a polished 2x4 as well. It has more shine to it and the edges are square (not tumbled). Although it is not matte, it is not nearly as shiny as a glazed tile.

Ok, all that said and I really don't think it is right for you! Ha ha. The Rixi tiles are gorgeous! I love them! You have soapstone counters, right? I think the Crema Marfil is too busy for your counters. Go Rixi! :)

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Oh, and I think it is made by Marble Mosaics. :)

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Actually, our counters are polished verde butterfly granite--kind of a dark emerald green that looks black from a distance. There are "chunks" of off-white in it and small specks of garnet. White painted cabs. I posted about this once already, but I am reconsidering the Rixi because it is so shiny, and I have semi-gloss hardwood floors, polished granite, SS appliances, and brushed stainless light fixtures and doorknobs. I'm afraid the Rixis will just be going overboard with the shine. But I do love them! I dunno.

I did actually consider crema marfil tiles. In this pic you just posted, they do look much more beige than in your others. Do you think they would be considerably less beige if they were not enhanced? I actually do like a tile with a hint of beige to go with the rest of my kitchen and attached great room. I just don't want it to be too beige, or too busy. Maybe just an off-white with a hint of beige, KWIM? Thanks again for your help--I really appreciate it. Sorry for all the questions :)

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

mybrowneyedgirls...sorry to hijack. I just read that you have verde butterfly. We are considering that granite along with verde peacock and uba. I really love the sample of the butterfly that I have but I am SOOOO afraid its going to be too green. Is yours really green or does it lean towards black like the uba tuba? Id love to see a pic of yours if you have one or you can direct me to where you may have one posted already? Thanks!

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cawfeegirl--I do not have a pic at the moment, but when I get a chance in the next day or two I will try to post one for you. I have to figure out how to post pics on here. I guess I'll have to create a photobucket account first. But to answer your question, it looks black from a distance but up close it looks green and black. You can definitely see up close that it is mainly green (actually, I don't even think there is any black, it is just a really really dark green in many places throughout, so dark that it looks black). There are of course the white and garnet spots, too, and the garnet looks black unless the sunlight hits it directly, then it sparkles and really looks like garnet. I think when we have the undercabinet lighting in it will do the same thing.
    The green shades really vary from light, almost sagey green, to dark/blackish. I know what you mean about not wanting it to be "too green." I had the same concerns before deciding to go with it.
    I hope this helps. We are very happy with our choice. I will try to post those pics if I can figure out how ;)

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Thanks so much...we're going to look at granite tomorrow and that is one of our choices...My fear is that it's going to be too emerald-y green. But maybe it depends on the individual slab, too. It sounds really beautiful from your description!!

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

mybrowneyedgirls....just wanted you to know we went with the Verde Peacock! Im SO excited!!

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great, I hope you post pics when you are finished. I think the peacock is very similar to the butterfly, but the peacock doesn't have the white and has more golden beige? What color are your cabinets? I'd love to know what you choose for a backsplash, since the granite is so similar to mine. I still haven't made up my mind for sure yet on the backsplash (and we've had the granite for 18 months now).

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Mybrowneyedgirls, I do think the Crema Marfil looked lighter before we put the enhancer on it. I don't know if a regular sealer would affect the color or not...or if you even need a sealer.

I think Marble Mosiacs has a couple of other colors that could work. Here is one that is Tumbled Creme Beige, but the size is smaller. Not sure if it comes in the 2x4:

http://www.cooltiles.com/cv0300402.html

Here's another one in Tumbled Thassos White, but a different shape all together. Again, not sure what comes in a 2x3:

http://www.cooltiles.com/cv0301717.html

Do you have a tile showroom you can go to and have them pull the catalog for Marble Mosaics? Looks like they have a few white/off-white tumbled options, just wonder what comes in a subway.

My tile shop had tons of stuff in stock, so I was able to bring different samples home to check out with my counters.

I'm anxious to hear what you pick! :)

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Im going to have Maple Toffee Shaker cabs. Im considering a Sage glass subway tile or this:
    {{!gwi}}From Drop Box

But not too sure about the color...it does come in other colors (a silvery white which may match the granite better) but also, I dont know if it will all be too much between the backsplash and the granite. Opinions? ha! Im sorry...I didnt mean to turn your thread into all about my granite/backsplash!!

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

I AM SUCH A DORK!! I though you had Verde Peacock, thats why I "announced" it so excitedly up above! We looked at both the Butterfly and the Peacock at the yard today but this yard's Butterfly showed really green, so we went with the Peacock. The Butterfly was beautiful though...and it was a tough decision!