Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becktheeng

St. Cecilia Light Granite

becktheeng
15 years ago

Does anyone have this? I think it's less golden that what I've seen posted here. I'm thinking about using it with white cabs.

Comments (19)

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump!

• tiskers
    15 years ago

I'll be watching this thread, too!

I have it, although it's not installed yet. In fact, it's at the fabricators now. We hand-picked our slabs directly from the granite yard. It really is a beautiful granite. I am using it with creamy off-white cabinets with an ivory glaze. I can post pics when it's done!

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tiskers -

That would be great. I think I'm going with a white painted cab, so I'm wondering if there will be enough white in the stone. I'm so torn on countertop choices...I did think I wanted granite, but as I've been looking I'm more drawn to them.

• christinamc
    15 years ago

We had Santa Cecelia granite installed in Dec. 2008. I was worried it would be too "busy" after having white ceramic tile counters for 15 years, but we LOVE it. The installer steered us away from the more golden tones, toward a more neutral slab that was less yellow, with more cream/dark brown/black/tan/white tones. She didn't call it St. Cecelia Light, though, so I don't know if this is the same as what you are referring to. The installer said she had recently installed the more golden SC in a kitchen with white cabs, and she said it looked awesome.

We picked SC to coordinate with existing light oak cabs, but I think our more neutral SC would also look great with white or cream cabs. Once the granite was installed, we picked up the dark brown from the granite and changed our hardware to ORB. For the backsplash, we chose a 2" strip of accent mosaic tile with dark brown glass and travertine to coordinate with the granite and an almond subway tile b/s. It never would have dawned on us to pick the dark brown accents until after the granite was in.
    I wish I knew how to post a picture, because I have several!

• User
    15 years ago

If you look at the finished kitchens, you can search by granite type. I remember this one in particular but there are many others.

Here is a link that might be useful: cpang74 kitchen with st cecelia

• christinamc
    15 years ago

In my posting above, I forgot to give credit to honeydiykitchen. Originally, I got the idea for the ORB hardware and dark brown accent tile from seeing her kitchen in the Finished Kitchen Blog. Then, after our Santa Cecelia granite was in, I could suddenly see how great dark brown accents would look with it.

In regard to your initial question, the granite salesperson (in Seattle) said it was difficult (in November 2008) to find Santa Cecelia that was not very gold. Have you found a slab or two of the light variety that you like?

• tiskers
    15 years ago

Our granite yard told us that St. Cecelia Light is an entirely different stone than just St. Cecelia. The granite industry is VERY confusing!!!

Anyway, our fabricator came today and brought us a little hunk of our slab for paint and floor shopping. It is even more beautiful than I remember it!!!

We have antique white cabinets with ivory glaze, and stainless knobs and cup pulls. I am planning on picking up some of the black in the granite and getting lighting fixtures by Murray Feiss in black wrought iron... although ORB fixtures/accessories would be KILLER too!!!

• mdmc
    15 years ago

I have Santa Cecilia. Not sure if it is the light but t does not have gold in it. That is why I chose it over other granites. I did not want any gold. I too have white cabinets.

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone...I have not see a slab yet, I was just looking on the internet and I new a few people here had Santa Cecilia.

Mdmc - love your kitchen. I'm just starting to get quotes on all my work. I really like your cabinets...can you tell me who made them and the color?

Thanks!

• mdmc
    15 years ago

The cabinets I have in my kitchen were custom made by a local cabinet shop. I am not sure of the color he used. He made me samples and I chose the one I likes. By the way there is a very slight glaze to may cabinets making them look slightly antique.

• tiskers
    15 years ago

Here's a photo of a chunk of our granite (St. Cecelia LIGHT from Mont Granite in Solon, OH) that the fabricator brought to me yesterday, when he came to do the templating.

I am very new at this photo posting, so I have no idea how large or small this picture will be!

• tiskers
    15 years ago

Well, obviously that is too tiny to see ANY detail! Sorry! I'll try again.

I am soooooo happy with this granite... I think it is going to be gorgeous. In my area, it is considered a "Level 2"... and cost about $6K for our kitchen.

(ETA: the bright yellow on the upper edges of the granite is PAINT... something the fabricators did to mark our slabs... not a color in the granite itself!)

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Tiskers & mdmc...that's a huge help.

• tiskers
    15 years ago

SO glad to help! I have asked for (and received) SO much wonderful help and great advice on these forums, I am tickled pink to have some small bit of ANYTHING helpful to *give back*!

Let us know what you decide to do.

• mommyof5
    15 years ago

mdmc - I love your kitchen too! My kitchen in our new house will be similiar to yours. Could you share your wall color and floor brand and color.

Every St. Cecelia I have seen has had gold in it. I'd prefer one like mdmc.

• mdmc
    15 years ago

The wll color in my kitchen is Sherwin Williams "Grassland". I tried Softened Green but it was too yellow. Love the Grassland. We are also VERY happy with the floors. I know most here prefer site finished floors but we chose a Mannington engineered floor. It is from their Heritage collection and the color is "Clove" What I like about this floor is . 1. It is 5 " wide so it lends itself to a country feel. I Love the wide plank. It has more of a traditional feel. 2. It is slightly distressed so when I get a dent I really don't notice it. It just looks like it is part of the floor. 3. The color. It is not too light or too dark. Although I know where dirt or dust is it is not screaming at me. 4. It can be refinished if need be. I really couldn't be happier.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Giallo Ornamentale is a good substitute for Santa Cecelia if you can't find a SC that's creamy enough for you. The coloring to the right of the sink is a more accurate color.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

mdmc, I love your kitchen so much! What are your beautiful floors (species, width of plank, etc.)? I love the white shutters and wall color. Your backsplash is prefect for your kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

• tlmv
    15 years ago

mdmc, Your kitchen is beautiful! Would you mind sharing what you used for your tile backsplash? I have the same granite as you and same wall color and am having a hard time finding a tile that is not too grey or white or peachy for the St. Cecilia light. You're looks perfect.