Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclv

Are oak cabinets totally outdated?

kclv
16 years ago

My house is going to be six years old in October. At the time it was built, we opted for standard raised panel oak cabinets instead of upgrading to maple or cherry. We used our upgrade money on flooring instead. They are good quality cabinets with solid doors.

Now it seems that according to every home improvement show and magazine oak is considered "dated".

I have granite countertops, 18" ceramic tile floors, and installed antique copper pulls on the cabinets. (I have a lot of copper in my kitchen.) I personally think it looks fine, but I wonder if it will hurt our chances of selling in a few years.

Comments (70)

• gdoke
    16 years ago

The creamy painted cabinets are the last thing you want in a kitchen that's really used to cook and eat in. If you have young kids it's even worse. The smudges and fingerprints eventually migrate into the paint. We had brand new good quality Schrock cabinets that had the dovetails, plywood backs and sides but the paint was terrible to clean. I'm happy with the 20 year old oak cabinets in the kitchen we now own. New granite and a gas cooktop on top of them next month, new pulls - now we're in business.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

raehelen, too funny on the real estate listing!

I totally agree with your statement: Keep in mind too, that the responses you get here probably do NOT reflect the vast majority of potential home buyers. The majority of the people on this forum are soooooo TKO'd! (Me included.) Look at our posts as proof. lol

All of my three siblings thought I was crazy for remodeling my 1980's kitchen. It looked fine to them and I never argued. To each their own.

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Crud, I hope they're not outdated! I just outfitted a 4000 sq. ft. home with them!! I'd hate to think I was behind the times before I ever got started! Hahaha! Honestly, if $ were no issue, I'd have picked maple, but that's not what I got. I'm very happy with my oak cabinets. In fact, my house has a ton of wood trim everywhere as well. Quite handsome if I may say so myself. I think they'll be nice for a long time. But there is a big difference in custom cabinets and the builder's grade oak of the 80's!

• Rudebekia
    16 years ago

Pickled oak, anyone? I still don't know exactly what kind of cabinets these are in the home I'm about to move into, but they've got that pickled oak look of the 90s. They actually appear more light grayish than the pinkish hue of the photo, but I'm still struggling to know how to decorate around them--paint color, for example--and internet searches have turned up little to nothing. Talk about a trend that came and went quickly!

{{!gwi}}

• terible
    16 years ago

I have what is considered by many to be "bad" oak in my home, its cream washed. However, itÂs not the main reason for a kitchen re-do, the re-do is mainly for poor design. Before coming to this forum I hated oak but after seeing some of the beautiful quarter sawn oak kitchens I have a whole new love of this wood. The other thing I have been impressed with is how some have taken their golden oak and glazed or stained it in darker color, also beautiful. Although cherry kitchens and or all white kitchens are nice I am wanting something that doesnÂt look like everyone elseÂs. I donÂt think IÂm alone on this and think it very possible oak will make a big come back in the next couple of years. At this point what I want and what I can get are still far off so I will wait a little longer. I dream of a kitchen with quarter sawn oak base cabinets with a carmel-ish brushed glaze and off white wall cabinets with a brushed carmel-ish glaze and a warm tumbled marble harlequin patterned backsplash. Simple applied molding doors on inset boxes would top it all off. Oak isnÂt a bad word, if my cabinets were not so poorly made I would utilize some of them in the kitchen remodel. If they where worth salvaging I could age them a bit, change the stain, hardware and add legs, with a little imagination what is considered "bad" oak could be the highlight of any kitchen.

• green-zeus
    16 years ago

Even tho I don't care too much for oak kitchen cabinets, that would never stop me from buying a house that had them. If they look like the above pictures, I might even consider LIKING oak cabinets again!!!

• iamnodiy
    16 years ago

The realestate agent called this an updated California Country Kitchen. Seeing as we live on Long Island there is no way we could debate her. Well it was updated from the original 1954 kitchen. Since we couldn't afford to redo the entire kitchen we just replaced the worn Formica with Corian. Yes, I used the "C" word. We wanted to keep with the time period that the kitchen was updated so Corian was the way to go. By the way, what did they have against pulls and knobs back then? I couldn't take opening the drawers anymore without a knob so I just got around to installing ORB knobs on them. Maybe I will continue to install them on the rest of the Cabinets or at least the 3 bottom doors.

• prairiefox
    16 years ago

I love how bright my natural oak (somewhat lighter than honey) cabinets make my kitchen. We have a southern exposure and the sunlight and the oak work well together. I think white cabinets make kitchens look very clean and I have always liked them but I do think they are a hot trend that will peak soon. Once everyone starts doing it, then it soon becomes passe.

• chairthrower
    16 years ago

I've always liked the look of good oak. I can't help myself. We have oak hardwood floors in the house (original) and we'll do oak cabinets when we redo, most likely (although hickory and alder look interesting too.)

The detail of the wood, and the grain are very appealing to me. And it's very durable.

I'm hoping for a more "modern" color on the oak but even honey brown oak is fine by me.

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

Oak is not a personal favorite of mine but if the kitchen in my house had come with well maintained oak cabinets, instead of the poorly maintained badly painted particle board cabinets, I would have been a happy camper. I chose maple for the new cabinets because I love the grain. But I saw some dark chocolate stained oak in a catalog.....

I'm sure when we go to sell our house in 20-25 years people will turn their noses up at the maple, granite, travertine, beadboard look. Which is fine, they can replace it with whatever makes them happy.

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

i've never been partial to oak myself. as to whether or not it will affect your chances for resale in the future it depends. we've purchased two houses; our first was a 103 year old dutch colonial with large rooms and beautiful woodwork. the kitchen was a brady bunch 70s special. that sold us because we were in it to do the whole house over ourselves. especially the kitchen. we got it for a great price in a tough market because it was such a mess. fast forward ten years: we sell redone house with beautiful new kitchen with maple cabs/granite/german stainless appliances and pocket $800K for our trouble. on to our present dwelling: we find another house on acreage and plan to knock existing house down. the kitchen is a wreck. we buy it for a song. again, we had no intention of buying someone else's kitchen so the fact that it was a wreck was to our advantage. we get the house for 50K under the asking. if the kitchen were "updated" we would not have purchased. so, it really depends on your buyer and your house in general. if your kitchen is "updated" (that's a big warning sign that means: old kitchen trying to pass as new") and the rest of the house is a little tired i don't think it will make much of a difference. on the other hand, if the rest of your home is a showplace (like our first home which we totally renovated) the kitchen has to follow suit. of course the market will need time to recover which could take several years. you really need to take an unbiased look at what you have. there are two types of buyers: they want everything new and beautiful or they want to come in and make it there own so don't do any major work because they don't want to pay for your vision. as for the oak in general, i'd have to pass. i really dislike it. all that grain is "hokey" to me.

• annkathryn
    16 years ago

kateskouros I agree that some buyers will specifically look for houses with good bones but dated kitchens in order to start with a blank slate. That's what I plan to do with my next house (and apply all the great ideas I've gleaned here on GW). Unfortunately most buyers in my area want a turnkey house with custom cabinets, top of the line appliances, and granite counters. My kitchen will be a negative when I sell in 3-4 years. But who knows, maybe oak cabinets and tile counters will be back "in" then?

The previous owner of my house installed custom oak cabinets in the late 80s or early 90s. They're well-made and not terrible even though they wouldn't have been my choice. Replacing them isn't in the budget. I found that stripping the dated wallpaper and painting helped a lot.

Before:
    {{!gwi}}

After:
    {{!gwi}}

• soupgirl
    16 years ago

For what it's worth, if I had nice stained oak cabinets, I wouldn't paint them. I am a lover of stained wood and would prefer any stained wood cabinet over a painted cabinet but that's just me. It might be a generational thing.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

It's funny that so many people say they don't like oak but oak is the most popular wood for flooring. These same people like oak floors.

I had my 1983 honey oak cabinets refaced with maple recently but my oak doors were worn and looked bad. Part of the problem was the handles had been put on my the builder in the middle of the doors and had never been used. The style of the doors were also dated.

Newer raised panel oak cabinets in excellent condition look fine. I wouldn't paint them unless you want painted cabinets. Another poster mentioned badly painted cabinets and I know what she meant. Also for every buyer that likes white cabinets theres another that would perfer quality natural oak.

• awm03
    16 years ago

Guess what wood species & color appeared in this winter's Crate & Barrel catalog: Hutch ; French Hutch

Oak went out about 18 years ago. For years you never saw an oak kitchen in the upscale home decorating magazines. In 23 years of home ownership, I haven't known anybody who's put in a new oak kitchen. So we must be due for an oak revival. Maybe we'll be seeing more Crate & Barrel-types offering honey oak furniture, but with a fresh take on the finish & cabinetry style. Frankly, I think those hutches are beautiful, probably because it isn't the stale old finish & country kitsch oak style we're all tired of seeing.

I chose dark oak cabs 5 years ago, partly because I was tired of cherry & maple, partly because I realized many of the historic homes that I admired had oak woodwork & cabinetry. I'm enjoying the grain very much. It adds texture & visual heft. Now whenever I go to church I gaze at the oak pews and think what lovely cabinets they'd make (admittedly TKO).

One curious point: many of us enjoy the homey, comfort-evoking feeling of period or retro style kitchens. I wonder if someday there will be nostalgia for 1970s & 80s oak kitchens "just like Grandma's" or "just like the one I grew up with as a little girl" ?

• berryberry
    16 years ago

While I like Oak on certain floors or furniture - I personally hate it on Kitchen cabinets. However, I also dislike all white kitchens too. My point is - some folks will like it, some will not. If you like it, don't worry about how it will effect you selling it in the future

• nightowlrn
    16 years ago

I am a bit new to this whole kitchen decorating thing. But, I am in the middle of a kitchen redo and we are keeping our raised panel, honey oak cabinets. They are sturdy and the grain is beautiful. We are going to refinish them ourselves when in the spring, when we can open the windows. But, they won't change much other than new hardware. We had thought we might have to put new cabinets in to bring the kitchen into this century, but once we took down the paper they started looking better! When we put in new appliances and counter tops, they should look even better. We are putting in a new island that will be painted black, which hopefully will compliment the oak cabinets.

Right now, the parimeter couunters will be cambrian antique and the island may be Spectrus. http://www.casa-bella.com/granite/spectrus.html

Our selling timeframe is 3-6 years, so hopefully light oak will be back into favor ; )

• donnar57
    16 years ago

We personally didn't care what was in and what was out - we redid the kitchen this summer and chose oak cabinets. If oak is "out", then why did every place we priced cabinetry at, have lots of varieties of oak cabs to look at???

We're in this house for the long haul - so we bought what *we* like -

DonnaR/CA

Here is a link that might be useful: Donna's Kitchen Project

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Oak is a superb wood. Not currently stylish, but that is more about the finish and the cut than the wood itself.

And if you dislike the finish...

try changing the wall color and hardware (that bought me a couple years)

and if you still are unhappy, change the cabinet color/finish (I'm good now for decades)

Thing is, oak is extremely strong and easy to rework.
    Don't confuse the finish trends and debates with the wood itself.

The wood is good.

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

Oak fits the age and style of my house. I have a 1922 colonial revival. We're trying to keep an Arts & Crafts feel to the house, so we chose Shaker-style inset oak cabinets. I don't think they look outdated at all!

• terible
    16 years ago

Celticmoon and Vjrnts, you must be psychoÂ.I mean psychic hehe. When writing my above first post both your kitchens are exactly the ones I had in my mind.

Vicky, your kitchen makes me feel happy every time I look at it, you single handedly inspired me to take a new look at oak. I donÂt have a period home but what to somehow incorporate quarter sawn oak it into my own look & style.

Celticmoon, you should be an inspiration to all that have cabinets that just need a little something. What I wouldnÂt do for cabinets that were sound and I could utilize. If this were the case I could justify in my own mind spending a little more on some of the higher-end stuff I want.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

Okay, now I just have to come right out and say it. I LIKE OAK!! Celtic and Vjrnts - every time I see your cabinets I'm reminded of that fact. They are so different but both fantastic!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Me too! I AM a believer!!

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

Celtic, I need to check back your old posts about the stain/paint you used on your Oak cabinets. I have an Oak vanity that I don't like (late 80s stain), and would like to darken it because I've painted Oak before and did not like the end result.

If I had to choose again, I would not choose Oak though some I've seen here looks nice. I never did like too much wood and grain to be honest. Maple is about as "woody" as I care to go. That being said, I must add that my Maple cabs get dinged very easily while the Oak could take some major banging before anything showed. For strength, Oak is amazing. But I wanted change and didn't care for Cherry or anything else, so we got Maple. I am seriously considering Oak for baseboards though because it's so hard.

Vjrnts, Your cabinets look amazing...OAK? Wow!

My Oak cabinets were in really good shape but the layout was awful. There was no way to save them, so I gave every piece away on Freecycle to about 4 different families.

• brusso
    16 years ago

Good oak cabinets are classic. They do not go out of style. They are the 'wingtip shoes for a well dressed man'. I have seen many 5/4 oak cabinets that were in very very nice condition get glaze painted to keep up with the current style. About half the folks who had it done (and it is not cheap) are not really happy with it. It has to be done correctly or else it looks like cooking grease has dripped down the inside corners of the doors. If you havee good oak cabinets, then leave them alone!!!

• PRO
    Windyroc Studios, LLC
    16 years ago

Most of the time I'm a lurker to these forums, but for this thread I wanted to show you the Ikea cabinets my parents installed in their kitchen. They chose the Nexus yellow-brown door style. It's an oak veneer on a flush slab door. The contractor just got the backsplash tile installed. Now it just needs to be grouted.

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

terible, gibby, kitchenkelly, mariposatraicionera, you're all too kind! Thanks so much for your kind words!

I love my new kitchen. It makes me feel good just to walk into it. And imagine how great it will feel if I ever get around to painting the darn walls!

• douglaspark
    16 years ago

What a great topic! A consensus seems to be elusive.

I'm considering oak cabinets in the kitchen and appreciate seeing these pictures. Doesn't the stain make a lot of difference in terms of the cabinets' historical reference? The carmel (?) stain on vjrnts cabinets, for example, makes the kitchen feel like the 20s rather than the 70s, to me at least. (Care to share the secret of the stain, vjrnts?:) Did folks use lighter stains in the 20s as well? Or did that come later?

Those of you who've put in oak cabinets: Did you use red oak or white oak? Quarter sawn or flat sawn? How did you decide what to go with? Can you get a Stickley look with the cheaper red oak?

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Douglas, I think your point is valid: to many people, 'oak' is not a species of wood, its a color of wood.

And if the final color you are after is darker than red oak, then red oak will be fine, but it will always be softer than white...

For a 'Stickley' look, I think the essentials are >Quartersawn >appropriate style >dark stain >'period' hardware

Those who are tired of their golden oak might want to try a gel stain, formulated to stick to anything, before resorting to paint.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I've had Oak in 3 houses, so guess i've had my fill. The color of the stain isn't what bothered me, it was all the graining. I prefer something with a very soft grain like Mahagony, or better yet painted/glazed cabs.

In reality, Oak will always be a mainstay as it's the graining which many people love.

• mollyred
    16 years ago

VJ - your craftsman kitchen is beautiful, and Goffgirl, I LOVE your parents' kitchen design! Doug, I don't think that you even need to have such a dark stain to get a stickley look, so long as its at least a medium tone and the shaping is right. Remember also that the original stickley pieces have now had nearly a century to darken.

Marita - I had to live with pickled oak cabinets for a while, too, and found that the best paint colors to go with them had a sandy, grayish-pink or taupe undertone. I managed to make a pale yellow wall color work with them, but only as a 5th layer of sponged color over 2 shades of white, a taupe and a sandy beige, also sponged.

There's no arguing with taste, and if you don't like oak, you don't like it. In considering how to furnish my house, though, I decided to buck the trends and keep my blonde oak furniture as a conscious statement of unity with my surroundings. The neighborhood where I live is a miniforest of native oaks and sycamores, tucked into a corner of the vast concrete expanse that makes up metropolitan LA. There are 12 oaks on my lot, and since Druid tree-worship is the established religion at city hall for our municipality, I couldn't beat 'em, so I had to join 'em. When remodelling the exterior of the house I chose colors and materials that reflected the earth and natural landscape around it, and it only made sense to bring that inside. During the remodel we had to fell a big oak out front that was dying of root-fungus, and I wished we could have harvested the wood for building our own furniture, but was never able to get calls back from companies that advertised such services. The tree, of course, was replaced with another coastal live oak.

This discussion of oak got me thinking, though, about the place of oak wood and trees in our western culture, and they have tremendous power in our cultural landscape. The oak and the willow are western culture's counterparts to eastern culture's yang and yin. To the ancient pagans the oak was a father-god of trees, and it remains a potent symbol of longevity, strength and virtue. It thrives in adverse conditions: most oaks grow in poor, stony soils, require little water, fight erosion and are exremely prolific. Swine, a vital food source in ancient europe and a cultural archetype in their own right, fatten on acorns, deer browse the leaves, and truffles grow in the roots of the trees. From adversity the oak yields great bounty. Think of all the sayings about oak and acorns - no other tree carries so much significance in western culture. So let the fashions spring up and die like the grass, Mapletex; those aren't just cabinets you've got, they're cultural icons too!

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

mapletex...good luck to you when and if you sell. if you like your new kitchen, you may decide to stay longer!! i have had painted pine, metal, natural maple, and now cherry cabs in the kitchen (pine and metal were the ones we got rid of..). i do not like oak, because of the reason that pattycake noted...the grain. i don't like zebrawood either, for the same reason. we do have oak floors, but floors are different in my mind..don't know why.
    However, at least in our area, oak is a very good choice for kitchen cabinets. most people we know have a great deal of oak furniture...for them a kitchen that was not oak would clash, especially if it was in a great room set up. because so much of the furniture (amish style and other) around here is oak, i think that it can actually be a good choice for resale. kren

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

I don't think I would be as concerned about Oak being out of style as I'd be concerned how all these stainless steel appliances will be passe' soon. Oak has lasted the test of time. But will stainless? Doubt it. I'd be more concerned about "other" things than the oak, JMHO.

• remodelqueen
    16 years ago

Yeah, maybe one day Viking will design their line to be all black, white, or almond. Maybe yellow and avocado will come back, too.

I'm not a huge oak fan, but I completely respect the vision people have for their kitchen. And I LOVE your kitchen vjrnts!

• lilyj
    16 years ago

This thread has been very interesting to me. I currently have oak cabinets in my kitchen in a medium, perhaps honey, finish. They are from the company that makes Shiloh, although I bought them almost 19 years ago and am not sure if they were referred to as Shiloh back then. I was unaware that oak was 'out' in 1989 since so many people in this area were installing them into new homes and I never seriously considered any other brand or type of wood. Having said that, I was sure I was now bone-tired of oak until my husband and I decided to browse one of the big box stores yesterday. We passed by maple, cherry, and hickory and commented that they were nice. As we turned a corner, we stopped to soak in the sight of a cabinet display that was so invitingly warm with such a sense of stateliness. It was...oak. The stain was much darker than what we currently own. It was called chicory and I believe, but am far from sure, that the cabinets were made by KraftMaid.
    I have been all over the board in trying to decide what type of cabinets I want now, having narrowed my choices to all white maple or half painted maple and half knotty alder or character maple in a dark stain, and suddenly I'm back in love with oak. My two cents' worth is that I don't think oak has ever been totally outdated and if the cabinetmakers I've consulted with know anything, it will be a popular choice for many years to come. Another plug for oak and Shiloh - my cabinets are still beautiful and as sturdy as they were the day they were installed. I'm a little embarrassed to be pursuing a new kitchen as it seems somewhat wasteful, but a girl needs a change...

• champagne_taste
    16 years ago

I also have oak cabinets and I'm not too fond of them. I am seriously considering re-staining to a mahogany or cherry color. I certainly dread such a huge job and I have never done it before so don't even have a clue where to begin. But I am hating the oak cabinets more with each passing day!

• momto4boys
    16 years ago

We have the cheesy builder grade oak cabs in our 3 yr old house. Lots of nice molding through out, beautiful fireplace and other extras. Then he put in oak cabs and green laminate. Guess he ran out of money??

We're replacing the laminate, and painting the cabs.

• effiemyrtle
    16 years ago

I have 30 year old custom oak cabinets (40 feet of them) that were in the house when we bought it 13 years ago. They still look almost new. I love oak and the grain, and cringe whenever I hear of someone's painting their beautiful wood cabinets. We would like to update the hardware, however, but when we removed the backing plate behind the cabinet pulls (all 50 of them), some of the wood was discolored. Any easy fixes to this, besides buying new backing plates?

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

I had a bit of this too when I replaced the hardware on the cabinets at my lake cabin. They didn't have a plate but the pulls had a wider part on each end and if I didn't get a similar pull, it would show. I got a similar pull but it doesn't sit flat against the cabinet so you can see the discoloration a little. I experimented a bit with cleaning it with tsp then sanding lightly and adding some Varathane stain/poly - I found some that really seemed to be a perfect match. I'm not sure this would work very well if you have a larger surface to deal with.

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Well, we're about 2/3 of the way through stripping, sanding and re-satining our oak cabinets. While the color isn't quite the color I wanted, they are quite nice. If I had it to do over again, I would have replaced the doors and drawers. They are a solid frame with a veneer panel. With the amount of time and materials that Hubby is putting into fixing them (half the drawers need to be rebuilt), we would have come out ahead.

Funny thing is, when we first started on this we were planning on painting them. Then I cleaned them and saw their beautiful graining. There was no way I could paint over such natural beauty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our kitchen WIP

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Gotta share this example of quartersawn white oak [courtsey of Showplace Cabs]:

If this is dated, I'm all for it!

Here is a link that might be useful: showplace

• effiemyrtle
    16 years ago

oruboris, I wondered what quartersawn white oak looked like - gorgeous! Wow!

• hackwriter
    16 years ago

I love the look of oak. When I bought my refacing supplies 2 years ago, I went with oak. Of course it took me 2 years to get started on the project, and by then my distributor had all kinds of woods, but I'm still happy with oak. I like the graining, and it has a kind of "Craftsman" look that I like. I have the plain flat-panel doors so they're kind of Craftsman-looking and I think that makes them more "classic" instead of "dated." Or maybe I'm just delusional. I do think, however, that those oak doors with the arched panels look a bit dated. But today's dated is tomorrow's retro. Don't you think that in a few years all those maple and cherry cabinets with the dark granite counters will look dated?

• effiemyrtle
    16 years ago

Of course they will look outdated - how else will they be able to entice us to "update?" I'm old enough that my first house had dark wood - a few years later, light wood was "in." And for those of us around in the 70's, don't you get a kick out of the youngsters loving the yellows, oranges and greens now? Been there, done that. Having seen the trends over the years, I guess I am to the point that I am just going with what I like. Wonder what they are going to do with all the tons and tons of granite that will be taken out of houses when it is no longer the "in" thing?

• missyme23
    16 years ago

bumpity bump!

• rhaeg_aol_com
    13 years ago

What would you recommend for updating the hardward on honey oak cabinets that are in terrific condition?

• tonyasg
    8 years ago

I just purchased a home with beautiful oak cabinets. They look as good as the day they were installed. I fail to understand why so many people are influenced by comtemporary trends and not their own taste. I could care less as to whether a visitor likes my cabinets or what the trend setters say or for that matter even a potential purchaser o my home. The trend settings are motivated by keeping people spending money based any number of neurotic notions. They usually make their money or are sponsored by the very companies selling new kitchen supplies. Stop worrying about your kitchen and what people think, as long as you are happy with it, stay with it and go out and have a nice dinner and a drink.

• lucky0003
    8 years ago

We have 15 year old oak cabinets still in very good shape. The builder custom built crown molding on the top to give them more presence so they don't look builder grade.

We recently changed out the 15 year old ( still looked new ) brass pulls for oiled rubbed bronze and the whole kitchen looks totally different. I love my oak now! It was a cheap fix for a totally new look.

• speaktodeek
    8 years ago

Have you ever read Dr. Seuss' "The Star-Bellied Sneetches?"

• Aimee Brown Mayberry
    6 years ago

I personally feel like honey stained oak cabinets are out of date and have been for at least 10-15 years. They remind me of the 90s. BUT.... you should do what YOU like and makes you happy! If you are wanting to update them for resale value (selling in next 5 yrs), I would opt to reface them in a shaker style door and paint them in either a white or gray. New modern hardware and presto! OR... if you like them, keep them as is for now and then when you are ready too sell, reevaluate what it tending and do that. Good luck!

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!