Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carecooks_gw

My GW-inspired kitchen is on atticmag.com

carecooks
13 years ago

I couldn't have done this without GW. You guys rock!

Care

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen

Comments (32)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

That is great! I read the article and all the lingo was so GW, that it was so fun to spot all the terms that are used here often.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Nice, nice!!! Wish I could come play in your kitchen!

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

It is awesome!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Fantastic kitchen and a fantastic article.
    Many great ideas.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Such a pretty kitchen. Jane and I were talking about it last week over the phone. She had started uploading the photos on Atticmag, and I had taken a peak. :) I especially like the corner cabinet and built-in dish storage. Glad you decided to leave them in. Enjoy your kitchen!

Allison

• carecooks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Allison,

Thanks. Just thought that you might like to see what the banquette area looked like before. We bought the two cabinets from Conran's well-over 25 years ago and they have been moved around a lot. They are now in their final home.

• dar5
    13 years ago

Very pretty, love how you framed the window with all that storage. Love the corner cabinet on the island also! Enjoy!

• theresse
    13 years ago

Awesome!!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a great space full of wonderful ideas! Congratulations on finishing your kitchen and getting it on AtticMag! I love so many things--chiseled edge, corner cab, 2-tone cabs, amazing Blue Star and its wonderful orange knobs. You'll cook such great meals in that space, smiling the whole time!

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

I have looked at those pictures many times today. Great kitchen. I love banquettes and yours is just amazing. I am hoping to join the Farewell Peninsula club soon. I know you must enjoy every minute in your beautiful kitchen.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

It's beautiful! I love the clever storage in the island.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I knew that kitchen was familiar! Congratulations!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting the before. I'm on the look-out for DD2 a cabinet for her kitchen. I've found a couple like yours (all doors or doors w/drawers) but she wants to keep her microwave on that wall. No counterspace in her kitchen.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Love it all, that corner cabinet is awesome. The sinks, the counters, everything is great.

Kitchenistas? Is that less or more intense than TKO?

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Wow, love it! Digging the banquette area.

Congratulations!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I love the article and am thrilled you made it to the
    site. Good for you!
    ~boxer

• trudymom
    13 years ago

carecooks, love your kitchen, love all the extras you put in it. Your dishes look gorgeous in the cabinets. You can really tell you spent time researching all the little extras. Gorgeous sink. Thank you for sharing!

Trudy

• marytwit
    13 years ago

Fantastic kitchen -- so practical, fun and beautiful, all at the same time.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Congrats - yours is such a beauty of a kitchen!

Eliz

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Well deserved honor for such a beautiful kitchen!

• bickybee
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous and well thought out space!

Care, can you please tell me what hood you have and if you like it? I am also looking for an island hood for my Bluestar rangetop. I like the shape of yours. Looks like it's not too imposing for an island hood.

• carecooks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bickybee,

The hood is the 36" Futuro Futuro Galaxy Island Hood. You're right that it's not too imposing. I love the way it looks. I gave up my six-burner for a four-burner mostly because of the Stages sink but also because a 36" stove would have needed a 48" hood. That would have been way too big for the space.

Now about how it works. It does a great job with smells. It's somewhat loud when I crank it up to max (for wok cooking) but at the lower levels it's not bad at all. My husband is very sound sensitive and he hasn't complained about it. It's okay with grease. It keeps the grease from behind the cooktop but there is still some around the burners and the stainless piece in front of the burners. But to be honest, I've never had a good hood before (in the original kitchen there was no hood) and so I don't know how much grease the best hood in the world is supposed to pick up. When I was doing hood research (my least favorite part of the kitchen remodel), I spoke with Trevor at Eurostoves about hoods and he said that island hoods just don't work as well as the standard ones because they have a larger capture area. The main thing with any hood is to turn it on about 10 minutes before you'll need it.

Oh, the halogen lights work perfectly and the baffles are easy to remove and clean in the dishwasher.

Would I do it again? You bet. It works well enough for me and I think that it adds to the kitchen.

Hope that helps you. I've added a link to Futuro Futuro and I noticed that the price has gone down $100.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galaxy Hood

• carecooks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bickybee,

The hood is the 36" Futuro Futuro Galaxy Island Hood. You're right that it's not too imposing. I love the way it looks. I gave up my six-burner for a four-burner mostly because of the Stages sink but also because a 36" stove would have needed a 48" hood. That would have been way too big for the space.

Now about how it works. It does a great job with smells. It's somewhat loud when I crank it up to max (for wok cooking) but at the lower levels it's not bad at all. My husband is very sound sensitive and he hasn't complained about it. It's okay with grease. It keeps the grease from behind the cooktop but there is still some around the burners and the stainless piece in front of the burners. But to be honest, I've never had a good hood before (in the original kitchen there was no hood) and so I don't know how much grease the best hood in the world is supposed to pick up. When I was doing hood research (my least favorite part of the kitchen remodel), I spoke with Trevor at Eurostoves about hoods and he said that island hoods just don't work as well as the standard ones because they have a larger capture area. The main thing with any hood is to turn it on about 10 minutes before you'll need it.

Oh, the halogen lights work perfectly and the baffles are easy to remove and clean in the dishwasher.

Would I do it again? You bet. It works well enough for me and I think that it adds to the kitchen.

Hope that helps you. I've added a link to Futuro Futuro and I noticed that the price has gone down $100.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galaxy Hood

• taggie
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!! I absolutely love your kitchen!

• bickybee
    13 years ago

Carecooks, thanks for all that information.

This has also been my least favorite research project of our remodel! Just makes my eyes glaze over reading all the technical information. Plus, I don't mind dropping a couple grand on something I'm going to cook on, but I've never had a hood before either. It's a hard pill to swallow to spend this much on something I didn't know I needed. But I've set off the smoke alarm enough to know that I do, indeed, need a vent!

I need an island hood because our 36" BlueStar rangetop is in front of a window. Since there is a window behind I think that must provide some capture. I don't think I need a 48" hood. Was thinking 42" would be good. The Galaxy only comes in 36".

I'm going to give them a call and see what they say.

• johnzack
    13 years ago

Carecooks,

The style of my kitchen is very similar to yours and after I saw how well your hood worked with your kitchen I ordered mine, also the Galaxy. Thanks for putting an end to the hood searching for me. I hope that when everything is done my kitchen will look as nice as yours.

• carecooks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Johnzack,

I hope that you enjoy your kitchen as much as I enjoy mine. Every day I get a thrill. Happy remodeling!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I remember your kitchen!

It is so beautiful AND functional! Congrats!

• calimama
    13 years ago

Love that chiseled edge!!! I have never seen that before, WOW! such a great kitchen! Welcome to the Island Club! It is an expensive ride from Penninsula land,but you will love it!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Excellent! So want to touch that chiseled edge!!

• buckheadhillbilly
    13 years ago

Love seeing the Kohler stages sink in the corner of the island. I'm planning on doing that, too, so it's great to see it done that way. Lovely job! Congrats and happy cooking!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Wowee. This really is such a very special kitchen!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area