Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherwhy_gw

New Kitchen design ~ Need opinions

sherwhy
10 years ago

I'm looking for input and critique from the seasoned kitchen designers here on the forum.
This is our kitchen plan for a new build we are doing. We are working with a residential designer. This home is long and narrow and will only have two bedrooms. It's just the two of us and our daughter who is away at college.

The kitchen island is 3ft wide and 10ft long. I'm mesmerized by the idea of having an uninterrupted space on the island. I currently have a sink in an island and don't like it.

There are 5 windows that are equally spaced in the kitchen and living room area and this was to bring in light and break up the long lines of the exterior of the home. I also requested the sink be at a window.

What I'm having trouble with is the sink being so close to the stove and not having many upper cabinets. There are only 9 inches between the stove and sink.

Putting the sink or the stove in the island is an option for some but I feel the island is not wide enough for a sink. The distance between the island and the stove is 4 feet. Are there any other options that I'm not thinking of?

Comments (7)

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

That has to be the world's worst idea with the sink right next to the stove! You are right to think it's odd!

Aside from that, my first question - do you need 3 eating spaces back to back to back? You literally go from island to causal table to DR table. I'm also confused about that door that seems to span the dividing wall between porch and DR? Could you show a bigger whole house plan?

And do you do much baking? Are you the only cook? Do you entertain large groups?

Do you like the fact that there is no separation at all (half wall/peninsula/island) separating the kitchen from the living room to the left or would you like some visual separation?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

The space between a sink and a range/cooktop is usually the prime prep space. You have none. Our architect layed out our kitchen something like that but I knew it would be a disaster.

Without thinking about your layout too much..... get rid of the pantry and move the range over toward the corner. I'm sure other will chime in with better ideas but that was my first thought.

edited for spelling

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 20:27

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you KathyNY and Debrak for your feedback. First let me say that after a lot of consideration DH and I have decided to get rid of one of the windows and move the stove to the left giving us more prep space between the stove and sink. This also gives us more upper cabinets.

The Kitchen, Dining and Living is open concept in one big space . Most of the home is only 21 feet wide. Beyond the dining room is the screened in back porch/deck.
    KathyNY there is only one dining space inside the home and I hope to have either a table or sitting area out on the back deck. There is a 12ft wide sliding glass door between DR and back deck. My hubby is the main cook and I do some baking. Yes we hope to do more entertaining but we've been saying that for years and haven't done a lot of that.

I initially wanted a more closed off kitchen because we are currently living in an open concept home now and the noise from anyone working in the kitchen makes watching tv in the living room area impossible. The dishwasher in the island is a nightmare too because it's very loud. We plan on purchasing a better quality quieter dw and plan to put it along the wall cabinets. Due to the lack of space the open concept just makes more sense than closing it off.

I go back and forth on how to end the cabinets that are next to the living room. I'm not sure I want the wall or not.

Thank you again for your feedback and questions.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We live in an open-plan industrial loft condo. I mention "industrial" because we were stuck with keeping all the appliances and plumbing on one wall. We also therefore have a long (same size as yours) island of completely uninterrupted space. While it is true that in most homes the primary prep space would be between the sink and the cooktop, we don't have that luxury, but with 30sf+ of island space! that is not a problem! I prep right across from the space between the wink and cooktop and when I pivot, I'm standing at the sink or cooktop (we also have a perfect 48" aisle width). I do think it's a good idea to have moved the cooktop down. Ours is as follows 15" counter, 30" cooktop, 21" counter, 30" sink, 32" counter, refrigerator. Would I love to have more space between the sink and cooktop? I would, but I don't and I absolutely live the uninterrupted expanse of island. Here's a picture of that wall.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I'm no layout Queen but it feels like that corner pantry is taking up way too much room in that space.

Also, what about extending the wall next to the DW so the kitchen becomes more of a galley kitchen? It could even be a partial height wall.
    BTW, we also have a small house so I do understand the desire to keep it open...

Can't believe a designer gave you 9" b/w the stove and sink. Jeepers.

• deedles
    10 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by deedles on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 14:32

• icekream
    10 years ago

I have a similar open layout with a small L-shaped + large island which opens to living and dining. Do you really need the seating at the island when your dining room is right there? I started out with this thought for my kitchen but changed my mind and made my island to be 2 rows of base cabinets. My island is 4x7 and it's turned into my pantry as I don't have any other pantry like you do in your corner. Maybe you can get rid of the corner pantry and use the island seating for cabinets instead? It's been 5 years and I've not regret my decision. DH and I do all our prepping on the island and it's a quick turn around to stove. I do not miss not having a lot of wall cabinets because of the island storage.

For dishwasher, I went with the middle of the line Bosch (45 dBA) and it's been really quiet. You hardly know it's running except for the red light on the floor. This is our 3rd Bosch DW and will pick that for the next house.

Good luck on your planning. I love the open concept.