Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

How can I build in a toaster oven and vent it outside?

corrie22
13 years ago

We're in the process of planning a new kitchen. Right now, it's really an empty room. The house was a foreclosure and has been stripped.

There's only two of us, so we do almost all of our cooking in a Hamilton Beach countertop convection toaster oven.

Problem is, it smokes and puts a lot of grease in the air.

Is there someway to build it into something like a pantry, backed up to an outside wall, with a fan, so it can be vented to the outside?

What would you line the inside of the cabinet with so it's easy to clean? formica?

What in this world kind of outside vent/fan would you use?

We just can't live without a toaster oven. I don't think we've used our main oven in over a year.

thanks guy, this is a great forum, I've been reading it for weeks

Corrie

Comments (34)

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

live, thank you
    The cabinets have not been built yet, so I can build the place for the toaster oven as big as it needs to be to allow as much space around it as it needs.

I don't want to build in something like a double oven. I don't want to spend the money and I don't want to commit to something I might not like at all later and then be stuck with a hole in my cabinets that I didn't need.

There has to be a way to build a cabinet that will hold a toaster oven. Could I line it with some sort of fireproof insulation? It could be build with plenty of space around the toaster oven, as much as it would have sitting on the counter under cabinets.

I just want to get it off the counter, keep it handy, and have it vented so it doesn't snoke up the kitchen.

I have no idea what an OTR is...
    but what you described sounds like a mess..LOL

thanks
    Corrie

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

My DF wanted a toaster oven. I did NOT. We are putting it on a shelf in a walk-in pantry as a compromise. If you have any sort of dedicated "pantry" area, you could put a large shelf in there for it and you could simply put your toaster oven in there and then use a standard "bathroom fan" on the ceiling of the room/closet like you would put in a bathroom but put it in the pantry.

• function_first
    13 years ago

I think what LWO was referring in the first paragraph was something similar to the Maytag Gemini, which is freestanding range with a top oven that is shallow, much like a toaster oven. I don't own one but I think they're kinda nifty, especially in summer -- a nice way to cook a small amount of food without heating up the whole house. I also used to use my toaster oven a lot, but would occasionally leave combustibles (bread wrappers, etc.) too close and find them melted, it scared me a bit (especially when I'd find someone had stacked paper on top of it), and I no longer use one. I think if you're toaster ovening a lot I'd really consider getting one integrated into your freestanding range (a la Gemini), it's a lot safer, and seems like a lot less trouble than trying to safely build in a heat shielded cubby.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

beagles, thanks, I thought of that, but ruled it out. The room that's going to be the kitchen is pretty big. Where I would have to put a pantry is a good 12 ft away, on the other side of the room. I kinda want it more handy than that. We use it at least twice a day.

kris, thanks too
    You're sorta missing the most important thing. We really like this HB convection/toaster oven, and I get them on sale for less than $60. Once a year I buy a new one.

All I really need to do is make one of the side cabinets ceiling to floor, make it wide enough that just about any size toaster oven will fit. Make the shelves adjustable. Put a door on the front so I can shut it and not have to look at it when we're not using it.

(Imagine a narrow pantry, ceiling to floor, beside the frig)

...and back it up to an outside wall so it can be vented

If ovens can be insulated, somewhere somehow that insulation is available.
    Why can't you make an insulated cabinet to put the toaster oven in? With a fan in the back, venting out, which would keep the smoke out of the house, and keep it cool?

Corrie

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Maybe insulate it with regular house insulation and then tile the whole thing? Install a real hood vent? or a bathroom vent? I'd be real tempted to put a real exhaust stove/range hood in there. I have a cubby for my toaster oven and microwave that works for me. I don't cook much in them, mostly warm up leftovers. And I don't have an exhaust fan in there although I do have one over my gas stove.

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Many folks would build an appliance garage to put their toaster oven in. There would be plenty of airspace around it, so I can't imagine needing insulation. If you really, really, want insulation, there is fireproof board available for putting behind woodstoves, etc.
    If you are really, really, wanting a vent, I don't see any reason why you couldn't put a regular old bathroom vent in there and flip it on when you need it. Seems like you already have it figured out....

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

It sounds like you know what to do then :) I would ask your electrician how to achieve the mechanics of it...

Meanwhile, I don't know how "fancy" you want to get with all this, but you could always get one of those cabinets used to store flammable stuff in a lab and stick that inside your cabinet and then stick your toaster oven inside and then vent it following these instructions I found:

Remove both metal bungs from sides of cabinet and replace flame arrester screens (normally these come with the cabinets) into the openings.
    Connect the bottom opening to the exhaust fan using rigid metal tubing equivalent or better than that used in construction of cabinet. Tubing must have an inner diameter no less than that of the opening. Several places require welding of the tubing to the cabinet to avoid riveting or other methods that may impede the cabinet's fire protection. PVC should not be used since it can not withstand excessive temperatures.
    The top opening shall serve as the fresh air inlet. The make-up air should be supplied to the fresh air inlet in tubing similar to that used for the exhaust.
    A suitable fan should be constructed of non-sparking blades and shrouds. Mechanical exhaust ventilation is preferred and should also comply with NFPA 91 Standard for Exhaust Systems for Air Conveying of Vapors, Gases, Mists and Noncompatible Particulate Solids.
    The total run of the exhaust duct should not exceed 25 feet.

Did I just make this much more complicated than you were looking for??

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's nothing like a visual aid!
    Thank you pinch_me!
    and thank all of you guys.

I sat here and figured it out, with your help.

Hoods are 30 inches.
    All I need is a cabinet 30 inchs wide on the inside.

I wanted something like a pantry on each side of the frig to give it a sorta built in look.
    I can make one of the pantries on one side 30 inches wide on the inside, put adjustable shelves in it, have enough room for the toaster oven and microwave on the shelf under it. And have cabinet doors to close it so I don't have to see them when we're not using them.

One cheap hood over the toaster oven will pull more than enough air, in that tight of a space, to vent and keep it cool. Plus hoods are deep enough to cover the entire top of the toaster oven.

Now I have it all!
    I have my toaster oven and microwave handy, not out on the counter at all, and can close them up when I'm not using them.

Now I just have to hide the coffee pot and regular toaster. LOL

Thank you all!
    Corrie

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Did I just make this much more complicated than you were looking for??"

yeeesssss

but thank you anyway ;-)

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

If you use my OTR MW (Over The Range Microwave) suggestion above for your vent, you can have a larger more powerful microwave that also acts as an external vent for your toaster oven. If the cabinet is large enough, you should be able to close the doors on everything, but I would ask your electrician about a safety switch that would automatically cut off the electricity to the outlet if the door was shut. That way if anyone forgot that the toaster oven was on and shut the door, it wouldn't sit there and generate heat buildup behind closed doors.

• morgne
    13 years ago

You buy a new toaster oven every year? That brand must break easily! After the first couple I would have walked away.

M.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

live, we don't use a microwave that much and never for actually cooking anything. Plus, I don't want to get stuck with something that expensive and built in.
    For a lot less money, I can get a cheap hood, and a small microwave.

morgne, did I mention that we do almost all of our cooking in the toaster oven? and that none of them are self-cleaning?
    I've never had one of this brand break or give me any problems at all. I do clean it, but there's places that I can't get as clean as I want. It's cheap enough, works perfectly, so I buy a new one about once a year when I see them on sale.
    For what a built in costs, I can buy a new one every year and still come out ahead.

Corrie

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Live Wire Oaks suggestion for an over-riding power cut-off safety switch for when the doors are closed is an excellent idea and one that I hope you have made note of.

Pepper

• shortyrobyn
    13 years ago

At least where I live - you need to pull a building permit and go through the whole inspection process to put in the kind of vent you're talking about. Doesn't really make sense for a $60 toaster oven. And remember - there's a reason for building codes - they're there to protect you. Robyn

• emily_mb
    13 years ago

Would you be happy with a 24" oven? I put in a Fagor 24" that has the option of heating only the central coils at the top -- for small items. It's also big enough for a 12 lb turkey and a pie. That way, I got rid of the toaster oven. Bought a toaster.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pepper, I plan on making the doors the type that slide back into the cabinet. It will be enough of a production to shut the doors that I doubt I'll forget.

robyn, where I live it's an excuse to raise your taxes..
    I don't need the government to protect me from a toaster oven.
    We'll have to disagree on that one...

You guys have fun, I've figured out my problem and solved it.

Thank you all!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Are you having a walk-in pantry? My toaster oven and microwave are in my pantry (on a work table) - last two photos. No vent was required.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pantry - last 2 photos

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison, thanks
    That was my first plan too.
    Then I decided I wanted two dryers, and a counter depth frig.
    The second dryer eliminated the separate pantry, and the built in frig created two more, one of each side of the frig.
    This is going to have to fit in the pantry surrounding the frig now.
    Corrie

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

whew
    confusing thread - not sure I understand all of it, and picturing the proposed layout is a greater challenge.

I agree with Robyn - despite Corrie's opinion of the government protecting her. The reason for codes are not to raise taxes, it is to ensure safety for you, any visitors in your home & any future unsuspecting homeowner. Try watching a few Holmes on Homes programs & you will be kissing your town code inspector/enforcement officer on the mouth if they are diligent in their work. Not to mention a house fire, where the cause is found to be something that was never permitted and is out of code. Forget about collecting insurance $, The eventual 4 sale sign may be fruitless when the inspection uncovers and the deal unravels- Getting a house in foreclosure at a steal, may not reap the rewards if you choose to do work on the home that requires permits.

I'm trying to picture a new kitchen sans a range or wall ovens with a hood over a microwave & toaster oven -

Someone rec "insulate it with regular house insulation" please don't do that. Firestopping materials should be utilized but only in applications that are within code.

Here is a link that might be useful: International building code

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm trying to picture a new kitchen sans a range or wall ovens
    ====================================================
    Me too!
    Who's kitchen are you talking about?

• marcolo
    13 years ago

For some reason I keep confusing this thread with the "My new kitchen burned down" one. Can't think why.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Marcolo

ALways with words of wisdom

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

As the daughter of a retired fire marshall, I am with marcolo on this one. What you are planning to do sounds unsafe and I would strongly encourage you to get professional advice before proceeding.

I understand the attachment to the toaster oven -- we use our Breville Smart Oven as a primary oven, and I would never part with it. It cost more than $60, but it has lasted for years, and will last for many more. My only experience with a $60 toaster oven ended with me carrying it out onto the driveway -- while it was ON FIRE -- to avoid lighting my kitchen ablaze.

I realize that you believe you have solved your problem and gotten your answer, and you're done with this thread, but I really wish you would reconsider for your own safety.

If you are willing to take the risk with your own safety, consider this -- if you ever want to sell your house, I guarantee you that every potential buyer that sees a vent hood/cabinet hooked up over a toaster oven will walk away quickly, wondering what other strange and potentially dangerous choices were made in renovating your house.

• kaseki
    13 years ago

First, the toaster oven installation directions should specify the required distances to the side and above for combustable materials. Having a vent hood above is certainly safer than having a cabinet above, which is the usual condition when the oven is placed on a counter.

I would recommend against having any doors. Beyond the hazards described above, they probably could be argued to not conform to the typical use of a toaster oven.

You are doing an entire kitchen, so a building permit, electrical permit, and plumbing permit are going to be required most places. It is for your own sake that the inspections are performed. The inspector will want to know that the installation is compliant with the manufacturer's instructions for both the toaster oven and the hood, so keep the instructions handy.

BTW, I think a modest hood is a good idea. It should be deep enough to extend from the wall to a point beyond the toaster door when open if you want to catch most of the effluent that excapes when the door is opened. It may have to be some minimum height above the oven; check directions before buying.

Town and municipality rules typically require permits for everything one does to a residence that relates to electrical, fire, or plumbing. This is usually ignored by homeowners for tiny jobs, such as changing a light switch, even though some may need oversight. Some localities may allow the homeowner to pull the permits for his own house. The inspectors will still expect conformance with all codes.

kas

• ironcook
    13 years ago

hi corrie,

we use are toaster oven for just about everything, too. :)

but it's a really large cuisinart, so last night i started shopping online for a smaller one.

i really liked a little hamilton beach model until i read 3 reviews, no kidding, that two had caught on FIRE and one EXPLODED!!! this is out of 7 reviews.

appliances just aren't what they used to be... a lot of cheap junk is mass produced somewhere with iffy standards. i'm just really afraid something bad will happen to your new kitchen, or worse to you!

please think about it. it really scared me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hamilton Beach Toaster Oven Reviews: Scary Stuff!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Get a glass induction cooktop and a pretty hood on top. Set toaster oven on top of glass, voila! Be sure back splash is also stone or other non-combustible.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i was thinking of the same thread as marcolo.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

How about a dedicated vent for it? Located under the cabinets that vents directly through the wall with no extra ductwork?
    The one linked to is modern in appearance, but Broan IIRC makes the type that has a retro look, too.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: wall vent fan

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

Marcydc,
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't use a toaster oven, but if I did, I'd probably place it on my smooth cooktop and use my down draft vent.

• Michael P
    6 years ago

How about lining the interior of the cabinet's bottom, side and top with 3" to 4" thick unglazed brick/tiles to dissipate the heat emanating from the toaster oven? Perhaps even aligning the brick/tiles in a shape to allow for the vent/fan hood? Just make sure the shelf is real wood that's secure for the weight of the brick/tiles and the oven. Also, do you plan on having the oven on longer than an hour at 500 degrees? Most roasting of meats is around 325 to 350 for about an hour or so max. As long as there is the required space on the sides and especially on top - you should be okay. Install metal grates on both sides of the interior wall cabinet, but don't add cabinet doors, instead install a thick REAL metal laser "punched" grate/screen to frame around your toaster oven. They sell these at big box stores. Very important that I wish the manufacturers of all toaster ovens would stress....MAKE SURE that the toaster oven is on it's OWN dedicated circuit breaker and that it's NOT sharing it with another appliance! These ovens consume a lot of wattage!

• millworkman
    6 years ago

Shasay Mobay, this post is 6 years old. Why dig it up for that info?

• mobuddy89
    6 years ago

Perhaps he/she is just trying to find out if indeed the house did burn down.

• barnaclebob
    6 years ago

The forum has been defaulting from "latest activity" to "popular" sometimes when I log on and when "popular" is selected some really old posts come up on the front page.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz