Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesmis_gw

Is it bad etiquette?

lesmis
14 years ago

Ok, I admit that I haven't read all of the forum rules. I hope I follow most, if not all of them but I have a question.

When people ask a question on here or any of the GW forums, is it bad etiquette to post your blog link "IF" that link answers a question.

For example, if someone asks about white kitchens (my own or others I feature on my blog) or something that you've written a blog entry about that has lots of pictures that pertains to the person's question, is it appropriate or even allowed to post a link to your blog to that "specific" entry which would answer their question here on GW?

I know there are some people that throw their blog addy up every chance they get or they come in and do a post with their blog link on there, I assume, to increase traffic to their blog, or maybe they're just excited about their blog...I get that. But sometimes I find I don't reply to topics (not that my input is something wonderful) just because I don't feel like re-inventing the wheel so to speak. It means having to go find those pictures and explaining something that I might have already discussed elsewhere and it would be SO easy to just link my blog to show way more pics and provide more info. I'll admit it, I'm lazy that way!

I'm not talking about ALL the time, but just every once in awhile when it IS relevant to the discussion. Usually if I want to show someone something I will click on their name and attempt to email them and give them a link, but not everyone has an email link on their page.

So...don't hold back! Let me know you're thoughts on this subject...I'll be interested to hear the "good" the "bad" and the "ugly"!

Thanks,

Kat :)

Comments (29)

• covingtoncat
    14 years ago

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I do think courteous to let it be known that is is a link to your blog instead of the generic "here's a link that might be useful." I am ignorant of the forum rules, but I think its basic "netiquette" to include that info.

• Melissa Houser
    14 years ago

Kat, As a reader who loves to check out others' blogs, I'd be thrilled if you posted a link that answers a specific question. I've seen others post blog links, although most are linking to something they read and not something they wrote, but I can't see the harm... With the caveat that, as you said, you don't throw your blog link up for everything under the sun.

I am an infrequent poster here, but I do love to explore other people's blogs. So, why not post a link to your homepage, if only so those of us who are curious can check it out?

I don't think I have my email linked through anything here at GW, but that's because I DO have a business and the only email I give out is for that. If you'd like to email me there, it's nnisigning@gmail.com... and please, no one report me to the GW police. I'm NOT attempting to drive business to myself from here. :)

• keptoz
    14 years ago

I don't know if there is a rule or not, but I have really enjoyed reading the various blogs linked on different responses.

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your input covingtoncat and that's a good point. I would always say it was my blog. My blog is new and is not monitized so having increased traffic, at least at this point, is purely a fun thing, but not something that makes me any sort of money.

Lissa_z9b, thanks for the email. I'll send you a link to my blog. I'm working on a story about a fellow GW'ers kitchen and that's why I asked this question. Her kitchen is an awesome example of why I wondered about this.

The post will be relevant to an earlier post asking if white kitchens = old people and boring. Hers PROVES beyond a shadow of a doubt that the two are far from equal!

I can't wait to see what everyone else says about this topic. I've often wondered how people felt about this.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I am such a flake I did not know anyone did that. Is this
    done often? I am clueless. I check out the links someone
    posts and all this time did not realize it was the poster's
    blogs. I love blogs.
    Duh. Call me brainless.

And to answer your question. I would never be offended.
    It take an outright insult ( Even a few times) before I
    realize someone is being offensive. >

~boxerpups

PS post your blog. : )

• riverspots
    14 years ago

As long as your blog isn't a thinly disguised infomercial (i.e., advertising), a link to it won't bother me. Even if it was advertising, there are greater social injustices for me to get steamed up about than a link I can choose not to open.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I don't mind at all. I can click on it or not. Its very presence doesn't seduce me to the dark side!

I don't mind links to the poster's or responders' kitchen photos - even if the pictures are stored on another kitchen or magazine site.

I know there were a lot of hard feelings generated by the start up of the ikeafans site. It felt kinda bad to me, for someone who was an integral member of this community to use it to redirect people interested in ikea over to a new for profit site. People grieved for the posters who left.

BUT gardenweb is itself a for profit site, the originator of that home site, who made this a place a community of people with common interests, is long gone. Gardenweb has been sold a couple of times (2, I think, and currently owned by General Electric)

Gardenweb is not watching the ball by its focus on what individual long-time members post. I want them to concentrate on replacing the half-dead software before the community aspect of this site shatters completely from software problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Think its not a business?

• amberley
    14 years ago

I honestly do find it annoying when someone links to their blog when it doesn't pertain to the subject at hand. If it is kitchen eye candy, or a kitchen remodel blog, okay, but not when it isn't kitchen design specific, or something that comes up in a discussion.

I really do enjoy seeing other GWers blogs about kitchen design, but I find it not in great taste to "plug" your blog constantly- as I have seen a few times. I have been toying with the idea of starting my own design blog, but I would not want to try to jump start it by way of GW.

That said, lesmis, I would love to take a look at your blog!
    I think I will post a thread asking fellow GWers to link to their blogs! I think it could be fun, and that way everyone will expect to see blog links, and not feel as though the bloggers are "pushing" their sites!

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amberley, I would love a post like that. I have only been blogging for a couple of weeks and in the past I have wanted to ask people to post links to their blogs, but I thought that was a big NO NO and that hands would get slapped and I did NOT want to get others in trouble for posting their blogs.

I also get annoyed when someone "shamelessly" promotes their blog for the sake of promotion. It just seems so tranparent, but when it truly is relevant to the topic I find it enjoyable and have often found other photos on other blogs which have given me "just" what I was searching for.

Keep the comments coming people, this is good stuff!

• amberley
    14 years ago

Just posted a blog request! :)

bmorepanic- that link was fascinating!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Kat,

I think if you linked right to the post on your blog that was on topic, that would be helpful.

I get really annoyed by blog links, as others have said, that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. And also by posts that say "I wrote about this in my blog" and offer a link, instead of posting in the topic.

If, instead, you answer the question briefly and say that you have more on the subject on XYZ blog page, or pictures over here, that would be just fine. Just so long as it's a complete post in itself, rather than just a discussion of what's on the blog.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

There is a rule on GW, but they were reviewing it recently. I was told not to post a link to an online magazine I write for unless it pertained to the thread's subject matter and that I could not start a thread linking it. I have never linked unless it pertained to a thread and have never started a thread linking it. But even after following these rules, I was banned briefly, then told not to link it again - ever. Mixed message!? Heck yeah!

After seeing a blog owner who makes money from her blog (the one I write for isn't a money maker), I emailed GW to ask why this person that posts links AND starts threads linking her blog is allowed and I am not. (90% of her posts linked her blog and numerous threads were started by her with a blog link.) I was then told I could link AtticMag, but only to an existing thread, when the link pertained to the thread subject BUT not to abuse the privilege. Which I don't and never have.

fwiw, most of my posts in Kitchens do pertain to something having to do with my kitchen or something like my kitchen. I like to link my French Gray Island Kitchen at AM since there are 6 pictures. Saves me time from posting in the thread. I also don't like the GW "rule" about picture ownership for pictures posted directly on GW. But when I post in Decorating and Building a Home, it more than likely is not pertaining to something on AM and I don't post a link. So someone who only posts in Kitchens may think I post links "all the time" when in fact, I don't if you look at GW as a whole.

Also, I think whether or not your link gets pulled and/or one gets banned depends on who is working and what kind of mood they are in. ;)

• andyman
    14 years ago

Hmm..

I have recently been posting on here with my blog in the optional link. I didn't think it was bad etiquette, I only thought it was easier than just including an address in my sig that someone would have to cut/paste in their browser to get to.

If the collective thought is that this is bad, I am more than happy to skip doing it -- as my kitchen obsession would outweigh my desire to share some of the fun things I have been doing.

If I offended anyone, I apologize.

-- Andy
    PS: (no link below).

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Allison, I came across your kitchen two years ago in AtticMag when we started looking for inspiration and still have it bookmarked! It has always been one of my favorites. Thks for posting the link to amberly's other thread - I will bookmark it anew.

Eliz

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Allison, if it hadn't been for you and Attic Mag, I wouldn't have the awesome kitchen I have today! And I NEVER even knew you had any involvement in Attic mag until just recently when someone mentioned it. I loved using all of the kitchens you posted as inspiration for my own kitchen and how you have them broken down by color so that I could go straight to "white" kitchens or "black and white" kitchens in order to save myself a lot of time and trouble!

Andy, I've never even seen any of your links, so for me personally, I don't think you're overdoing it.

I hope this doesn't become a post about people trying to defend themselves if they've ever posted a link to their blogs on here, that wasn't my intent I assure you!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Aw, y'all are too sweet! JaneF does all the kitchens and decorating. I'm the Shopping gal and have recently started writing the Quiz for Saturday. JaneT, who is also a GW gal, does the rugs and more. They deserve all the kudos. Before I became involved I loved KWL too - the broken down into colors is great. Have you seen JaneF's new kitchen in her city apartment? Her country house kitchen is a favorite of mine - Yellow Eurosplash.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I'm a newbie here so I appreciate this question being posed. I read the rules and don't think the guidelines on this sight are real clear on some items, but sometimes when boards are too restrictive it won't support new life. I have seen people post links to items at stores/vendors and don't think they are advertising...after all, some of the best decorating pictures are on a company site. Some people do a great job on their blogs and if a poster felt it answered a question or gave good picture examples I think it is important to post it (announcing is certainly a net courtesy). Personally I feel the more pictures I can see the easier it is to adopt an idea or share one.

• zeebee
    14 years ago

With the majority - I like blog links posted if the blog addresses specifically the questions/concerns of the thread. If you have several pictures of black kitchens in your blog, it's very helpful to answer a post about dark/black kitchens with - "link below has pictures of black kitchens - it's about 1/3 of the way down the home page." And if there are ten threads that week about black kitchens, fine by me if the same blog link is posted on each and every thread.

I do get pissy about people who put their blog link every time they post, in essence using the blog link as their signature. I find that annoying and self-promotional, as bad as spamming or advertising.

• andyman
    14 years ago

Zeebee (and others)
    Would a link something like this be less annoying:
    "That Jew Can Cook - my blog and totally unrelated to this post"

At least this way, other than being at the bottom of the e-mail and being a clickable link, people would know it has little to nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The reason I ask, is that you are 100% right -- this is a way of self promoting my blog.

However, while I would love to make a squillion dollars, the only thing I get in return is the self satisfaction that maybe someone enjoyed the material by learning or laughing. I have no advertising, and sell no products (unless someone wants to buy my kitchen, dirty t-shirt or leftover squash scraps)
    I do feel that I learned so much from this group and other places, that it would be nice to give back in some way by contributing or sharing in some of the fun my kitchen has provided me and my family.

Your thoughts?

--Andy

• plllog
    14 years ago

Nope. Andy, don't link your blog unless it's specifically on topic or you're asked. I don't know about the others, but I find statements like the one above ("totally unrelated") particularly annoying. Like, "I know this isn't going to answer any questions but I have to get noticed SO LOOK AT ME even though I have nothing to say to help." Instead, I'd use Allison as a pattern: SO many of us have peeked in to Attic Magazine because of her, but always when it was on topic, and when the links provided excellent inspiration and/or information. As you participate in the discussions and people get to know you, they'll get to know about your blog more naturally, and go check you out, but you get your respect points here from participating and being helpful, not for what you've written elsewhere.

I did take a quick look at it from the list-your-blog thread, and it looked like fun!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I have to agree with plllog. When someone constantly links their blog/whatever or signs each post Name at Something, which is basically the same thing, it gets on my nerves. It's advertising. It's the poster asking/begging someone to be curious enough to take a look.

Thank you, plllog. I appreciate your post. Honestly, the site could be linked a lot more as it covers a variety of topics and has excellent photo examples...but I don't since that would be rude. And GW could ax me again. ;D

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Hell, I do it all the time!

Here is a link that might be useful: My

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Bill, with the hours and hours of free advise you have provided here and elsewhere over the years, you have earned the right.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I doubt GW would feel that way, ccombs1. But then again, I'd like to know how Bill has done it over the years and not received a friendly reminder or been booted. Or has he?

GW needs to keep things consistent in order not to confuse members. What's wrong for one, should be wrong for everyone (no offense, Bill ;) ).

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Allison, if you go to my site, you'll see that not only is my site a not for profit site (the only way to contact me even is by email), but I've also linked back to GW in a couple of different places. In fact, there's atleast one person who's posted here in the Kitchens forum in the last week who said they FOUND GW through the link on my site. So it goes both ways. That said, when iVillage first took over, I was asked to take my website off of my personal page, which I did. I've never had a problem when posting my site as a link in my posts to give out information, though.

• andyman
    14 years ago

I may be biased since I kind of feel that my 'spam' of 4 or 5 messages over the last few days message may have helped instigate this thread), but me personally -- I don't see the major annoyance, especially if its clear what the link is to/for.

I have learned a lot of great information on this and other sites by clicking on links in people's signatures, or referred to in posts, including Bill's. I am capable of deciding if a site would be interesting to me and while someone may fool me once with a lousy link, their repeated postings of it won't get me the second time.

I also agree that however it does work, it should be unilateral -- and I *DO* know how valuable all of Bill's input has been. I've been reading his posts for years, and am about to get up enough courage to redo my bathroom *myself*!

That being said, I am respectful of others' opinions and
    I am not really writing this to pick a fight. I am more than happy to leave off my link in the optional link AND in my signature.

Thanks all, and I apologize if I ruffled any feathers.

-- Andy.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Andy,

Thank-you for your respectful and considerate point of view! I don't know what the inspiration for this thread was, but I, personally, wasn't offended by your posts. Newbies get some latitude! And, it's especially nice when someone like you comes along and asks!

In my response I was talking about the culture of this forum in particular, since Kat's question was about "rudeness", which is a culture question. Allison has been more focused on what the GW rules are.

Our forum members who are giving professional help, like Bill, actually benefit the group by identifying themselves. This is Bill the experienced tile setter giving his advice, not Plllog who only knows enough about tile to say hire the best tile setter you can, and when he links his website it's generally on topic, and always helps someone evaluate the quality and source of the advice. This is a different situation. And I believe that's complying with GW policy. Most of our professional members are in the trades. We also have professional kitchen designers who are members. They give the same kind of advice that the non-professional members do, however, and don't bring in their particular businesses unless it's particularly on topic, such as when someone has a question about a particular line of cabinets.

Please don't hesitate to link your blog when there's something there that's to the point!

• lesmis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! I actually started this thread because I really didn't know what the rules were, but had heard rumors of people being banned or slapped on the wrist for linking their own websites. At the same time I had seen other people who had often linked their websites, or others who had referred people to "others" websites in their posts.

I personally like having links such as Florida Joshua's website or some of the stone and tile people like Bill (I didn't even know Bill had a website so apparently he doesn't post his enough!) because they allow me easy access to pertinent info.

I do however really dislike it when people gratuitously slap their blog, or website up for everything and at every opportunity, but ONLY if it's not related to the topic at hand. If it's on topic and the link takes you directly to that permalink with the info they are referring to, more power to them! I've often wished that Boxerpups...the "Queen of Amazing Photos" had a blog just so we could find all of her great photos that she painstakingly gathers in one spot. Running around trying to find 20 different photos of a certain type of tile or flooring takes time and she saves us all a lot of time by posting them here.

I feel the same way about Attic Mag which I bookmarked long before I ever even came to GW. It's just when someone posts a link to their blog and you click on it and it's about a pair of shoes and not directly linked to say their lovely kitchen or something else on topic that I sigh and think...ok you're clearly just looking for hits on a website, not trying to help me out with the info I'm looking for.

I do agree with Allison that the rules are a tad fuzzy in this area, and what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. It just seems like some people get "friendly" reminders while other breeze through with their constant irrelevant postings.

So, that is why I asked. In this case I thought it was better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness...I'm usually the opposite! ;)

If people find my blog through GW great, but I would only want that to happen if it truly was giving them information that they were after, not just to watch the "ticker" numbers go up.

Thanks so much to everyone for their thoughtful input, maybe this will help all of us in the future.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

(I didn't even know Bill had a website so apparently he doesn't post his enough!)

There's a reason for that. Most of the time when someone has a question, I'll explain it out in my post. If it helps to show picture or two, I'll post them from my photobucket account. But if someone wants to see a series of pictures relevant to a certain topic, THEN I'll usually post my website gallery, being that I have just about 600 pictures in there of all different types of installations. Up above is probably the first time in a very long time that I've posted my website for no particular reason in here. That's probably the reason I don't get in trouble for it. It's not like I'm trying to boost sales, or number of hits to my site. When I post the link, it's for a good AND helpful reason.