Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over sink lighting ideas?

Posted by worldmom (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 18:33

Our new kitchen will have can lights and two of these pendants over the island:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I had planned to do a flush-mount fixture above the sink, but when our contractor ripped out our lowered ceiling to reveal our new (old) 10' ceilings, I became concerned that a flush-mount would be dwarfed.

I am considering this PB one, but it bugs me that the lights couldn't be centered over each of our three kitchen windows due to the middle support on the fixture.

I would like a pendant of some kind, but I can't decide on what would look OK with the pendants we already have.

I'm linking my photo bucket album below so you can see rhome's renditions of the kitchen as well as some other relevant pics.

Thanks for any input!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over sink lighting ideas?

I am using one like your flush mount with the yellow bands, but hanging and (it has frosted stripes). If you do a single fixture, I'd go big, but keep that shape as it is classic vintage and would look good near the one shown above.

o

My ceilings are 9' and yes a flush mount will look silly.
I am glad you figured this out before you purchased a flush mount. I paid about $200 for a fixure that I ended up keeping because of the restock fee.
I ultimately went with a pendant and I love it!

o

Dianalo - may I ask where you got the fixture you described? I'm intrigued!

Michellemarie - sorry to hear about your expensive boo-boo. We've had a few of those too, like the trim kit we ordered for our fridge and freezer when we thought they'd be standing side-by-side. Once this is all over, I plan to put all our boo-boos on eBay. ;)

My hubby really likes the PB fixture or something like unto it, but since this isn't a pressing issue (yet), I plan to spend some more time searching. What IS pressing is getting our radiant floor heat system ordered, but that's not nearly as fun to shop for. ;)

o

If you look at WAC or Lightolier you can get track lighting that installs flush on the ceiling with mini-lights that can be adjusted as needed for your set up. I'd be sure to have those on a dimmer. I use mine over the sink all the time.

It also won't compete with the pendants you've chosen whereas a flush-mounted fixture would.

One word about those from your inspiration pic. Because the shades are solid and bell shaped they will direct light down only. It will be basically like spotlighting your island. You won't get any light from the top of sides -- since you have ceiling lights I assume that works well for the plan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here