Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3ilovepie

if you had to choose - would it be function or form?

3ilovepie
9 years ago

In the process of building, limited by space and budget. My ideal kitchen is up for debate - as the form doesn't fulfil function - and vice versa.

Would like to hear your thought on if you would choose what looks best or what will suit your needs best. This is our long term home and our kids are young so there is no reason to plan for lesser demand on the kitchen. On the other hand - this is also our great room and where everyone (guests, family) will congregate.

Tell me what you would do.

Comments (30)

• sena01
    9 years ago

For me function is more important. If I hate to work in a kitchen I can't see the beauty in it, but if the kitchen meets my needs I can always ignore the imperfections in form.

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Function, function, function. A good-loking but poorly functioning kitchen gets ugly real fast.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I usually choose function. But there are definitely times I choose form. It depends on the trade-offs. A slightly less functional, but substantially better looking item that also cost less might win out, especially if it is visually prominent. I think this is impossible to answer in the abstract.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Function every single time. What good is a nice looking kitchen if you are cursing under your breath every time you use it?

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I guess I don't accept that it's not possible to have both. It isn't always easy, but given enough thought, both is always possible.

And by both, I mean a kitchen that both functions well and is pleasant to be in. I'm not talking about marble palaces and the Taj Mahal. I'm talking about clean, neat, efficient, and charming. And at least one thing in it that you love and nothing you hate.

Is it that you can't think of something that functions and is looks good at all? Or that you can and can't afford what you want?

• mrspete
    9 years ago

80-20, function-form.

A kitchen is meant to be a workhorse; that is, it must function well. However, sometimes looks win out.

For example, we all know that grout is often a problem, yet we keep on choosing tile backsplashes. We don't have to clean them all that often, and they're so much better than the alternatives. That's an example of looks winning.

• llucy
    9 years ago

Function is easiest to achieve. Ice/Water/Stone/ Fire. Simple even in small spaces. Form...tends to be dependent on the amount of space and always budget. Form for many (most?) people is a matter of compromises and trade-offs.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Function over form. And I agree that the two don't have to be mutually exclusive, even in smaller homes with limited budgets. It involves careful planning and compromises, but some of the best kitchens I've seen here were not the most expensive or expansive.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Done right, you should be able to do both. Give a little on function and give a little on form, so you don't have to go all or nothing on either. My kitchen in my new build is small and open in a great room. It took many meetings with my kitchen designer to get it right. I would have liked to have more form, but budget and space did not allow it. It isn't my "dream" kitchen, but I am very happy with how it will turne out. Hey everything is going to be new, so just be sure to choose the right cabinet color and countertop color. These two things can add form without breaking the bank.

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've posted previously in this forum for advice on layout and am still stuck.

Our dilemma is that we have limited space and budget. And huge appliance needs.

For function purposes we need a large refrigerator/freezer (icon twins). We are unable to figure out how to incorporate them without looking like an eyesore. (Background - we purchased them, saw the kd layout and returned them).

It would be nice not to have all that stainless steel in a small kitchen - but a panelled SZ or other builtin is not in budget. Similarly, space for an extra refrigerator somewhere in the basement is not possible.

So, do I do what's best for day to day living? DH says yes.... I'm still on the fence.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

You need a full size fridge and freezer? Really? Why?

No room for a backup in garage, basement, laundry or other area?

If SS is making it oppressive, maybe skip that. You could even have them custom painted your cabinet color if white, black or bisque would not work.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Form.

Well, not completely. But, pretty much. I am willing to give a bit for the look I want; who isn't. It's the same reason I wear high heels. I function better in sneakers, yes, but ...

But sometimes I think people get too hung up on the guidelines developed for the ideal function for a hypothetical person in a hypothetical kitchen.

We have a quite large, high end, relatively new kitchen. It has no freezer. Without going through all the details, it has no freezer for aesthetic reasons. Functionally, we eat very very little frozen food and do not freeze leftovers very often. Our freezer drawers are in a pantry across the hall. They hold smoothie ingredients, a few veggies, frozen bananas and frozen yogurt bars,and that's about it. Works fine for us.

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, we actually do need them. And nope - extra space is not in the plan. (No garage and it's not a big house).

You can paint regular appliances? Do they look good?

• meangoose
    9 years ago

For that particular dilemma, I think you will be able to answer your question when you determine what the alternative is to having the 2 large stainless steel units in your kitchen.

-Does it mean remodeling everything else and leaving a space for the paneled units you want, and using your old stuff (which may be not attractive either) until you can afford the combo of looks/size you want?
    -Does it mean that you get something you visually like better but now you have to grocery shop twice as often? How big of an impact would that be on your quality of life?
    -Does it mean using the units you need and getting a whimsical fridge skin of some sort?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I'm sure there are a variety of ways to get a custom color. Some manufacturers offer them. I have read here having an auto shop paint the units.

Could you do some freezer drawers instead of a full unit?

Lifestyle modifications, like shopping more often, freezing less in favor of fresh whole foods, etc. might be more doable than you think. A small house isn't generally able to accommodate multiple units like that. Something has to give.

Personally, I would hate having something I felt was ugly or oppressive and would be racking my brain until I found a good alternative.

The finish will have a big impact, so if you must have them, research alternatives to a flashy SS. All appliances do not need to match nor do they need to be SS. Quiet, low key appliances are good in a small area.

What color are your cabinets?

• tbb123
    9 years ago

Have you considered an under-counter freezer to augment a refrigerator-freezer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting commercial under-counter freezer.

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Meangoose - skins for stainless! A great thing - new to me - but yes! Will search for something palatable.

Snookums - kitchen will be white with darkish island.

So, in case you didn't want to search for my other post....we are doing a new build (in process). We lived in the old house for 8 years and it was falling down, leaking, too small. We went to committee to get our plans approved (gfa limits were exceeded). We still don't have a big house (less than 2000 sqf) but it's bigger than what is permitted. We are a family of 4 but have many guests for long periods of time and host kids friends in our home almost daily. Added to this our youngest has a few food allergies (dairy, eggs, gluten and corn). So, I make everything - cook, bake, roast daily. It would be helpful to be able to freeze meals so that I could be MIA for some meals. I presently shop for fresh items almost daily.

A simple thing like picking up take out does not happen at our home.

My quality of life would improve if I could shop 2-3 times a week and store meals/baked goods for my son that are safe and can be used in a pinch. Our house rules are we all eat the same thing - so I'm not freezing a single portion. I freeze for my DH and sons = 3 hungry guys.

I like the skins idea. Will try to find something to hide all the stainless.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Why not do white appliances? With white cabinets, white appliances wouldn't be anywhere near so eye-catching as stainless.

• tbb123
    9 years ago

Good suggestion, Jilliius. Who knows - stainless may be the avocado green of the future.

The all-fridge and all-freezer could be broken up by a pull-out pantry, for a less-oppressive look.

I see on AJ Madison that Liebherr has panel-ready 24" units that total about $ 7000. Don't know how that compares to SZ, since they don't advertise their prices.

Wouldn't you think it would be easier to panel a refrigerator than it apparently seems to be?

Here is a link that might be useful: Panel-ready Liebherr on A J Madison

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I agree that white wouldn't stand out so much and look so imposing in a white kitchen. They will blend in well and suit your space, imho. If you went that route, I do believe you could have your form and your function.

I've seen where people have paneled non-panel-ready fridges by glueing on wood panels, changing out the handles and such. You could do the freezer to match. So that might be an option if you want to get creative. Not sure if this has any impact on these appliances for the long-term though so do some research before you decide to go that route.

I know you can successfully paint them yourself as well. A good acrylic paint with polyacrylic on top doesn't chip or scratch easily and can be touched up easily. Of course, a pro job at an auto shop would look better. I just mention that possibility if budget is an issue and you want to go for a fun color besides white.

If the fridge/freezer the only issue that is frustrating you? If there is something else, let us know. Maybe someone can help.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Functional can be attractive, but all plans are about compromise. If you really NEED these appliances, then you'll have to find a way to make them work in your space.

Remember, pretty is just fine....but it doesn't make up for not being able to cook :)

• calumin
    9 years ago

You should strive for both. Functional and ugly is a bad thing. Don't set yourself up to make a false choice.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I just found another thread from a year ago with someone looking for white subzeros. This conclusion was this:

"Well, I can't believe it's 6 months later and we're only now placing our appliance order, but such is life in remodel-land. I just wanted to record for posterity, in case there's anyone else out there facing this dilemma, that you can, in fact, still order a white Sub-Zero! The white enamel overlay panels are still stocked by Sub-Zero and it actually came out a little cheaper in the end. My salesperson obviously thought I was insane which gave me a moment of panic but now I'm happy I didn't give in to the peer pressure."

Here is a link that might be useful: The thread

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, SZ is not in our budget. They are about 3 times our budget (at least 13k for a 42').

Our budget is 4k.

Functionally, and so we are not taking daily trips to get groceries - we need fresh and frozen kitchen storage in the kitchen.

Aesthetically, that much stainless is not attractive to me (dh likes it). I will play around with covering up some of the stainless to make it less obvious.

So, in our case I suppose it has to be function. Funny, because Ive always prided myself on form.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I just mentioned in your other thread, if I were you I'd be tempted to switch ovens and fridge/freezer location. Two advantages: better elbow room around fridge freezer, and they won't be facing your family room so they'll be better concealed.

I would also suggest framing them in with full depth side panels so they're better concealed.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Funny, I just saw a similar-ish (bigger) layout kitchen with the electrolux installed -- it's not too bad.

{{gwi:2137928}}

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Is there any reason you can't break up the fridge and freezer so they aren't in a monolith? You have a lot of wall space in your kitchen. You could easily have to separate units at opposite ends.

You could also get the appliances you want and like the look of now and make up those extra funds by getting a vastly cheaper countertop material like laminate for now. Upgrade down the line. There are some totally pleasant-looking laminates, and it's such a work horse.

• User
    9 years ago

I was obsessed for a long time about putting in the Kenmore version of those twins. My SIL has them in very small G-shaped kitchen of her pool house (it's a pretty crazy amazing pool house) and I came home from a visit certain that I had to have them. Especially because they were budget friendly! In the end, my kitchen was just too small to make it happen, and I really haven't seen the need since I don't have the same demands that you do.

In any case, if the issue is just SS overload, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If you have the luxury of time, hunt around on Ebay and at local shops for floor models of something more discreet. A Liebherr all-fridge and all-freezer will exceed your current budget, but if you found them at a discount you could compress your width to 48" instead of 60". Also poke around AJ Madison's website. There were some pretty cool tall skinny counter-depth fridges that look a bit like the Liebherr - Fagor, Blomberg. Could you use 2 of those (24" wide each)?

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Robotropolis - just saw your other post. To clarify, are you saying it would look less obtrusive if I put the icon twins on the outside wall and crept into the builtin space in the family room? Interesting. Will need to think about that!

South of the border you've got so many deals. Not the same here. We recently went to a retailer - the 42" SZ floor model was 10k. We don't have the same number of retailer options or deals. eBay/online usually see 15yr old SZ if any.

I'm going to think about that back wall. Thought on those aesthetics?

• neonweb US 5b
    9 years ago

If freezer room is what is needed consider using a chest freezer. Put a countertop on the top and use it as a replacement for some of the wall cabinets, or as an island. Will give lots of freezer room and will be so much cheaper than other under cabinet options.