Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
student_loans_gw

5 1/2" of Filler = Too much?

student_loans
9 years ago

I'm trying to center my window between two upper cabinets, but this requires me to use 5 1/2" of filler between the wall and the run of upper cabs.

Is this too much? Would it look weird?

What if I use two 1" fillers between the cabinets and 3" at the end? Do people put fillers between cabinets?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

They do, but usually not that much. I just spent many weeks getting my kitchen layout without using fillers.
    I did 2 things.
    I made my window a few inches smaller and my KD had a few cabinets customized to accomodate the space I had.
    Not knowing your layout, could you move your window closer to the corner and/or increase the size of your cabinets on either side of the window?
    If you could manage 1/2 inch more and have 6 inches you could increase each cabinet by the window by 3 inches in width to take up that space. If you have moulding around the window, just by decreasing it 1/4 on each side you could get that 1/2 inch.
    Could you draw your layout?

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Never thought to ask. Is this a new build or remodel and do you already have your cabinets? That would make a difference on options.

• practigal
    9 years ago

All 5.5 on one side? Why not a pullout spice rack?

• student_loans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm remodeling in my condo. Unfortunately the window cannot be moved, and I am using Ikea cabinets, so my options are limited. I can't afford custom cabinets.

Should I consider doing some kind of mod to fit in a 3.5 or 4 inch spice rack? I am using Ikea's Lidingo white, so I'm worried I wouldn't be able to make the door of the spice rack blend in.

http://laladyblog.com/2013/05/22/custom-diy-spice-rack-in-your-ikea-kitchen/

{{gwi:2137902}}
    {{gwi:2137903}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom DIY Spice Rack for Ikea Kitchen

• PRO
    Taylor's Cabinets & Interiors
    9 years ago

Use 2 27" cabinets and the filler, if Ikea doesn't do that (find a better cabinet), use a 21" instead of the 18". The bigger cabinets will be more functional than the 3 18" cabinets will be.

This post was edited by captcave on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 1:09

• student_loans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you think I should try to keep the door sizes/widths consistent? The wall on the right has two 30" cabinets with four 15" doors. The sink wall I tried to keep consistent with only 18" doors.

IKEA options for wall to the left of sink:

(A) 5" filler, 36", 18" (Door sizes: 18",18",18")
    (B) 2" filler, 21", 36" (Door sizes: 21", 18",18")
    (C) 2" filler, 12",15",30" (Door sizes: 12",15",15"15")
    (D) 1" filler, 4" DIY spice rack, 36", 18"

Do cabinets look better with consistent door sizes, or is that a rule I made up on my own with my OCD?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Visual symmetry around a focal point usually satisfies people who crave that. Do 2 21" and an 18" next to the window, and the 18" to the right of the window, and that should work to give you symmetry without giving up storage space.

Also, the fridge and range should be switched. And the fridge should never split a cabinet run. It needs to be on the end, always.

• kirstysea
    9 years ago

I think consistent door sizes are good. I like the 21, 36, just because I think that having the 36" will give you better storage than several skinny tall cabinets. Perhaps you can fit a spice rack, or wine rack in the extra space by the wall?

Btw- we did an ikea kitchen in 2007 (adel birch) and have zero regrets. We installed a 3" rev-a-shelf spice rack to fill a gap, it's great. I bet you could find a white paint that would match lidingo (I know someone found one on ikeafans when it was still up.) and paint up some mdf no problem.

good luck!

fwiw, I agree with livewireoak that the fridge placement seems odd. I would think it should go on the end of the run.

• student_loans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I changed the cabinets to 21"-18"-18" with 2" of filler on the left. How does it look? I did 21-18-18 instead of 21-36 because i thought it would be nice to have the two 18" doors around the window symmetrical. If I used an 36" cabinet with two 18" doors, the handle on the right side door would have to be on the left. Does it matter if they're symmetrical?

I also tried adding 9" of open shelving using Ikea's "Perfekt" shelf in this configuration: 30", 9", 18". Unfortunately the 9" wide shelves have been discontinued at Ikea. Is this a good enough idea to consider constructing my own 9" wide cabinet, or should I just stick with 21-18-18? My concern with building my own open shelving is that the white color won't match the Lidingo White color of the doors.

{{gwi:2137904}}
    {{gwi:2137905}}
    {{gwi:2137906}}

21-21-18 is good too, but I want the cabinet widths to add up to 57" because that would allow me to center the window without having the cabinets touch the window trim.

This post was edited by student_loans on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 21:29

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

live_wire_oak pointed out what I was going to suggest: switch placement of fridge and range. So I redrew your plan with her suggestion and added a few tweaks of my own.

{{gwi:2137907}}

I added a tall 24" pantry pull-out between fridge and wall with a 3" spacer between pantry and wall. You might get away with a 2" spacer. Just make sure you have enough clearance against the wall so the pull-out can move freely in and out of its cab.

This gives you a "Wall of Tall" with lots of storage for all your food supplies plus small appl1ances in one place.

I swapped out the 24" sink cab for a 30" sink cab so that you can have a decent sized sink to go with that 36" range. The sink is centered under the window.

I voided the corner in favor of drawer storage between corner and range. Large drawers will be handy for prep items, p0ts and p*ans, etc (corner cab storage isn't the most efficient use of space.) I did not center the range on the wall, opting for form - more prep room between sink and range - over function (symmetry).

I added a 3" spacer between left wall and base cabs so that drawers/pull-outs will clear door molding. You can either do an Ikea hack for the 9" cab or purchase a Rev-a-Shelf pull-out (see link for one possibility).

I didn't alter the upper cabs although I considered giving you a straight run of cabs on the range wall and a narrower run of cabs to the left of the window. Not crowding the window with cabs will make your small kitchen feel larger but perhaps you need all the upper storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: 9

This post was edited by lisa_a on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 12:59

• student_loans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, I will look into having the gas lines moved.

What do you think of the open cabinet/cubby? Is this idea worth pursuing? Does the placement of the cubbies look good in my drawings, or would it look better at the end, against the wall, which might eliminate the need for the filler piece?

lisa, thank you for that drawing! do you think it will be difficult to get the Rev-a-shelf to blend in with Lidingo White doors? Ikea sells a 6" wide door/drawer cover, but it is half an inch shorter than the rest of the doors. Also, why did you create the void in the base cabinets?

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

You're welcome!

I'm not familiar with Ikea hacks so I'm not able to answer your question. Perhaps someone else here can. Best to start a new thread on that topic.

There have been a number of past threads on the pros and cons of voiding corners. I've linked to one thread below. You can find more if you do a Google search with "corner cabinet kitchen forum site:ths.gardenweb.com."

It will depend on your storage needs. Corner cabs are good for bulky things like pots and pans, small appliances, etc but are ill-equipped to handle smaller prep items. Since I'd included a pull-out pantry, I opted to give you drawers in that corner for storing pots, pans, prep utensils, casserole dishes, etc.

If you haven't already, do a tally of what you need to store and where you'd like to store it. That will help you determine what kind of cab storage you need to plan for.

Oh, one idea just came to me for that 9" cab. You can always leave it open and store cutting boards, etc in it.

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Minneapolis Interior Designers & Decorators Fiddlehead Design Group, LLC

This would only work if you don't have a pet, though. Otherwise, you'll end up washing each board twice: once after use and again before use.

Or you could include the 3" filler and make it a 12" open cubby for wine storage. Like this.

{{gwi:2137908}}

[Modern Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105) by Boston Architects & Building Designers ZeroEnergy Design

How you use that space will depend on your storage needs. Do a tally; that really will help you plan your kitchen best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner Cabinet Space Calculations and Analysis

• practigal
    9 years ago

The open cabinet cubby you showed is about wine bottle size at best and you really shouldn't store wine like that...what about adding some open shelving around the window but leaving it open enough that the light comes in...

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

The layout Lisa posted is much better. It should not be much to move gas lines unless you are on a slab. Can be done DIY is you are handy.

• kirstysea
    9 years ago

I also like Lisa's layout. I would not worry too much about symmetry/aesthetics- if you actually cook, function is far more important. 36" uppers and 30" drawer bases are gold in a small kitchen.

Also if you google "Lidingo Paint Match" - you could easily paint something (cut down spare ikea door for instance) to cover the rev-a-shelf.