Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janiekins_gw

What type of farmhouse sink do you have or recommend?

janiekins
16 years ago

I'm looking to buy a farmhouse style sink and don't have a clue about them, other than I love the look. If you have one or know anything about them, can you please give me some insight?

Thank you!

Comments (18)

• hapyfrustrated
    16 years ago

My sink does not have an apron front. It is made by Blanco, it is Silgranite. I love,love,love this sink! I could not be happier. I think the color is graphite, not sure, but it is black. Everyone compliments it! Easy to clean, always looks nice. They have several different colors to choose from.

• valleykat
    16 years ago

I have a Blanco Silgranite which I love also, but I think this poster is looking for a traditional apron front farmhouse sink. Can anybody help her out?

• polly929
    16 years ago

I have a Rohl Shaw's Original fireclay apron front farmhouse sink. I have the 36 inch. I love it- it was pricey but it is my favorite thing in the kitchen.

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

I have a copper apron front also. I sound proofed it too. Purchased online. Huge and love it. I don't even baby it. Good drainage due to X pattern in base.

Highly recommend large open sinks. Even the kids rave about it!

• Happykate
    16 years ago

Absolutely love my Whitehaus Quatro; both sides are finished, each with a different lip, so you can choose!

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitehaus farm sinks

• hoffman
    16 years ago

I also have the Shaw's and am very happy about it. One thing you should understand is that these sinks are a bit tricky to install because the sink base needs to be cut out around the curved bottom edge (search at the bottom of the page and you will see prior posts on the subject). They are also very heavy and need adequate support. I believe a sink with squared corners might be easier to install.

You should also look in the FKB (www.finishedkitchens.com) -- you should be able to see lots of farmhouse sinks there to see what you like.

• rexem
    16 years ago

Have you checked out Ikea's farmhouse style sink. For $250 you can't beat it.

• rachelle_g
    16 years ago

We got a Franke fireclay sink made by Villeroy and Bosh. We're very happy with it! Our reasons: simple clean lines, shallower than most (some are really deep, which can be a comfort issue), size that fits in 27" cabinet, and pretty good price.

{{!gwi}}

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Well, I definitely DON'T recommend the London Farm Sink by Porcher (American Standard). Mine started pitting a lot after 18 months of gentle use. The warranty was for a year, and Porcher basically told me, "too bad for you." Lousy company!

Now I have a Shaw's/Rohl. I chose it based on their reputation, based on the thick, substantial lip/edge, and because they offer a patch kit! It isn't perfect (very wonky in size--uneven corners--hard to install, drains poorly). But it is beautiful. It has been in for a month, and my dearest husband already made a teeny chip in the bottom. On the one hand, I hate having to be careful when putting, e.g. cast iron cookware in it. I'm always worried about damage. But I've wanted one for about 15 years (ever since I first saw one), and I couldn't be happy with anything else.

Copper sounds wonderful! I'm guessing you can bam your pans around in that!

Francy

• cade
    16 years ago

I have a Kindred Stainless Steel apron front that I love.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Bump ...

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

I have the Barclay 30" Farmhouse sink. I love the way it looks, but haven't used it yet since we are not living in the house. It's a little cheaper than the Shaw.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

Does anyone have the Kohler farmhouse sink and how do you like it?

• flyinghigh
    16 years ago

We really like our copper sink! Purchased from Copper Sinks Online - see the photo gallery on their website (link provided). Great photos under "Lesley V"

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: copper sink photo gallery

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I have a Kohler double bowl apron front sink. This is the model number-K65344UWH. I ordered it from www.faucet.com and the service was excellent. I love the sink. It is a cast iron which is very nice. I found it cheaper on Home Depot online but they are about 2 weeks for delivery on theirs-faucet.com price matched and a semi delivered my sink in two days-the driver brought it inside and had me open and inspect it. It's beautiful. I had looked a Shaws sinks too-the biggest difference other then fireclay vs. cast iron is that the shaw is rounded all the way around. The Kohler has an apron front that is curved but not rounded on the sides. My sink cabinet was retrofitted to the sink and then caulked on the sides. It looks perfect!

• bee616
    15 years ago

rachelle g...
    did you order the piece that is framing your sink or have it made? We have very similar full overlay cabinets and our contractor did a lousy job cutting for the sink...the caulking looks awful.
    Any advice/
    Thanks!

• kat7502
    15 years ago

I recommend going to SimplyCopper, I purchased a 1 well apron front and absoutly love it, easy to take care of and I receive compliments from everyone who sees it. The company was great to deal with and takes the time to explain what a copper sink is and the care needed. I would recommend giving them a call. Oh and the best part is thier low prices and free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: SimplyCopper

• cherylmass
    12 years ago

Old subject, but new sink on order for our kitchen.

Should come in early October (2011). It is a single basin (the picture only shows a double).
    Getting excited to see it. Will post picture when it comes in.

Does anyone have a source for a reasonably priced sink grate or do you think this is necessary?

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Danish Copper,Black Granite Farmhouse sink