Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfay_gw

Take a look at my plans

Jfay
11 years ago

Hi kitchen experts. This is my first posting and I'm a little intimidated but I'd love your expert eyes on my kitchen plans as they come together.

Along with my plans I'm including a couple of pictures so you see where I'm aiming.

This pic has a similar layout and represents the white kitchen with light counters and possible a gray island that I know is popular now and I can't help but loving none the less.

Traditional Kitchen design by Newark General Contractor Michael Robert Construction

This pic sort represents the banquette seating area only I'd have a pedestal table and much more padding on the seats but it will have windows on two sides like that.

Contemporary Kitchen design by Chicago Design-build Normandy Remodeling

Any thoughts on the layout? Words of advice? I've got thick skin so have at it.
Thanks!

Comments (6)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Where are you planning on prepping?. The awkward problem that I see is that most of your counter space is outside of the work triangle. Ideally you would be prepping to the left of the stove as that is the biggest counter space. to fix it you can do a couple of things - switch the fridge and wall oven because then you will have most of your counter space between the sink, stove and fridge. Another less workable option is to configure your island so that it goes waste, DW, sink, drawers/cabinet.

I suspect that your first posted kitchen is longer than your space.

• felixnot
    11 years ago

I don't know if you are right handed or if you cook, but I will comment based on my experience with our new kitchen. I'm a cook and right handed. So I designed the kitchen with the most prep space to the right of the range. As I see your layout you will have a big kitchen with a marginal amount of prep space between the range and the fridge. You've got plenty of room, don't worry about the symmetry around the range for the windows if you cook, your work space is important. If you don't cook it doesn't matter.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Do you have a plan that shows the rest of the house?

• Jfay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for your quick responses.

I was planning to do my prep on the island near the waste bins and sink. There's 3 feet there which seems like enough to me. I do cook a lot and I currently have to wash my produce at a sink then pivot to a small island to prep it, then gather the garbage and bring it back to the sink/garbage disposal or over to the waste bin. I was hoping to have all that in one spot on the island which would mean I only had to bring my prepped food to the cooking area.

So, felixnot, you are suggesting that I move the cooktop and flanking windows over to the left? Like a foot or two? I do see what you're saying about having space to my right for my prepped ingredients while I'm cooking. I am right handed. Would I put some open shelves to the left of the fridge then to fill in that space or leave it open? I don't think I want anymore upper cabinets. I have more than I really want already.

And yes, I'm very sure the first photo I posted is longer than my kitchen by about 3 feet or so.

Thanks again for your thoughtful input. I really appreciate it.

• Jfay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why yes, Palimpsest, I do have more house plans. I only posted my re-working of the kitchen space, but I suppose it would be helpful to see how it relates to the rest of the house.

These plans are not my complete house, Just the back of the first floor where we are adding onto the kitchen and making a screen porch off kitchen and dining room. The half bath is also new. Can't wait for that!

• Jfay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to reply to blfenton about switching the ovens and fridge. I really want a french door fridge and at 36" it would take up all of that space minus about 6 inches. I think the right side fridge door would hit the counter on the right when open all the way. It would just bug me and feel cramped in that corner I think.