Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtkaybean

Kraus SS Farmhouse sink

jtkaybean
13 years ago

I'm in love with this sink...from researching on here my understanding is installation is more costly on this apron type sinks?

Here is a link that might be useful: ss farmhouse

Comments (4)

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Jillsee - I think you are thinking of the fireclay apron front sinks, not stainless. There have been several posts about the fireclay sinks being harder to install because they are handmade and irregular. So the scribing of the countertop around the fireclay apron sink is more difficult due to the irregularity. Also fireclay is really heavy, so needs to be supported properly. There's also a recent thread where someone reported that tightening the flange of their disposal created cracks in their fireclay. You won't have these issues with a stainless steel apron front sink.

We were going to get a Kraus stainless sink cause we heard such great things about them. We ended up getting silgranit instead (not an apron front), but Kraus was a close second for us especially with all the great reviews of their sinks on Overstock. We did get a Kraus faucet, and are so pleased at the quality of it. Not just pleased, amazed at the quality of the faucet for such a good price. We bought at the website expressdecor, cause they were offering an additional 10% less than overstock for our Kraus faucet. The faucet has been installed for several months now, and has been flawless.

I checked out your link. I am concerned that it is a double bowl sink in a 33" size. I would prefer a single bowl sink in that size so that you have a wide enough area to soak roasting pans, cookie sheets and the like. If you like a double bowl style better, can you go to the Kraus 36" size?

Kraus KHF203-36 double-bowl 36-inch farmhouse sink (pictured with the faucet KPF-1602 we bought!)

Kraus KHF200-33 single-bowl 33-inch farmhouse sink

• jtkaybean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmm...I might be able to go with 36", I need to check with my kd.

I do like the look of the single sink better. I know most on here suggest to get the double, but I think that's only if you have a sink over 32". I need to research that more on here lol!
    I was also considering getting the Kraus faucet so I'm happy that you give it the thumbs up!

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

I don't think "most on here" suggest the double - I think it's about 50-50, but definitely there are fans of both camps. Also, usually the recommendation is a double bowl sink if you have a cabinet size of 36", but there is no hard and fast rule. If you love a double bowl sink, and are OK with the smaller sizes of each bowl in the 33" size, then go for it. But it sounds like you like the looks of the single bowl. I am such a single-bowl person, I guess I am prejudiced. I don't like messing with that divider which always seems to be in the way, but that's just me. Also, there's that whole "which side should the disposal go in" question that I don't have to deal with for a single bowl sink. And having only one drain means more storage space under your sink.

Here are some pics of kitchens with apron front stainless single bowl sinks:

Hobokenkitchen's Kitchen

Firsthouse_mp's Kitchen

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I also disagree that "most on here suggest a double." In fact, I think that the majority would probably say large single bowl. When I got here, every single post I read prefered the single. I definetly see more double-bowl fans now than I did back then.

I'll offer the same advice I give to everyone considering a double-bowl, make certain that your largest sheet pans and roasting pans fit in the bowls. It's a royal PITA when the bowls are too small to fit the dirty things you use a lot. Trust me.

Oh, and I'll also say to get as big a sink as you can while balancing your other space needs.

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA